The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Highlighter

Default Non-Steam to Steam?

Does anyone know if I can register my non-Steam version of Borderlands to my Steam account, and thus not have to use the CD, etc? Typically, I'd use the game's activation key to register it with Steam, but there isn't any such key.

I tried doing the a forum search, and I didn't come up with anything. (It's probably because I suck at thinking up search parameters.)

Thanks for any help/info.
Highlighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:52 PM   #2
minimal

Default Re: Non-Steam to Steam?

Short Answer: No you can't. You can add a link to "My Games" but no you cannot register it as a game you can re-download and patch through Steam.

Basically only games using the Steamworks platform can do that and almost all of those are Valve games.
minimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Highlighter

Blah. I really should have purchased this through Steam. If Borderlands gets a significant price reduction, I might do just that.

Though, with how many bugs and such, I almost don't want to support Gearbox financially. lol
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:22 PM   #4
Arann

Angry Re: Non-Steam to Steam?

Are you freaking KIDDING me?

I bought this game to play with my brothers (ON STEAM.) I purchased a copy in the store solely to avoid the download time--figuring that I would be able to register my key with steam to play online through their service--but since I bought a boxed copy, I'm stuck using freaking gamespy? Really?

Gearbox, this wasn't clear from the packaging, nor was it mentioned anywhere obvious--is there any way to fix this situation?
Arann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Kachi
I am... Lime Cat? Rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arann View Post
Are you freaking KIDDING me?

I bought this game to play with my brothers (ON STEAM.) I purchased a copy in the store solely to avoid the download time--figuring that I would be able to register my key with steam to play online through their service--but since I bought a boxed copy, I'm stuck using freaking gamespy? Really?

Gearbox, this wasn't clear from the packaging, nor was it mentioned anywhere obvious--is there any way to fix this situation?
1) last i checked there is not a "key" on your box to input. Just the scan numbers (i believe) for the activation site.
2) "Gearbox, this wasn't clear from the packaging, nor was it mentioned anywhere obvious" really? ...
3) Steam does not use "Steam" to connect people threw Co-Op, we use Gamespy too.
4) There was a Pre-DL and it only takes (depending on your connection) 1-3 hours to DL it.

There is a friends list in BL, you don't need steam just to play with your friends. You can see if they are online threw their.

I Bet You Wont
Little Fun With Lilith Video Thread!
Kachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:04 AM   #6
Samoflan

To bad you can't play your PC copy on the Xbox360.
Samoflan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:10 AM   #7
Highlighter

Well, I was duped by Gamestop. They promised me preorder crap. That wasn't the case.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:18 AM   #8
SonnoMaku
Shotgun Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to SonnoMaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlighter View Post
Well, I was duped by Gamestop. They promised me preorder crap. That wasn't the case.
Yea I preordered it at gamestop for preorder crap and it cost me $54 compared to the $45 it would have on steam. Now I got no preorder crap and I have to play with the disc in. I would have rather bought it on Steam.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:26 AM   #9
Moleculor
Tasty!

Steam is owned by Valve.
Gearbox and Valve's last project together was in 1999.
If it's not on this list, you can't activate it.

Seriously folks, game publishers have to PAY MONEY to get the whole "Activate it on Steam" deal. If you don't pay Valve for the Steam version, Valve isn't going to pay money to let you download it from them.
Moleculor is offline   Reply With Quote