The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #71
BzArEx
First Access Club Member

Default Re: DNF Update News

It's good to known that Gearbox listens community. It'll be great patch!
BzArEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #72
Valdsator
First Access Club Member

It'd be awesome if they fixed the blood decals, and made an option to use the old EGO system. The blood decals appear to be bugged, so a fix would be really nice. The old EGO system can wait, though, I'll be happy with the 4 weapon system.

UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE
Valdsator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #73
lucasnooker
First Access Club Member

thanks so much gearbox for listing to the fans!
lucasnooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #74
.stryker
Assaulter

Just a question, Cris:

Is Gearbox aware of the bumpmap thing? demo looking sharper than full version and all... I just wanted a confirmation that if its a issue, or just a design choice by the developers;
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #75
DI-MeisterM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Sensible View Post
You already have Daikatana. Don't need another masterpiece on your pc.

Now on a serious note, awesome job guys Been playing DNF since release and i didn't stop. Last time this happened it was for Quake II. Thanks.

This patch is icing on the cake for me.
It would be really cool if you can get out of Gearbox' ass so that they can finally bringing the game to a standard, technical level.

btw. Daikatana sold way more than DNF plus it even got better reviews. Not that I care, though. Loving both games
DI-MeisterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #76
GamingBum27
First Access Club Member

OK, I was one that hated the 2 weapon limit on the xBox 360.

My opinion has changed though. Up until 2 days ago I was oblivious to the fact that Duke Nukem 3D was in the XBL arcade. So I downloaded it and started playing it. I absolutely love that game and was very happy to see that it is pretty much exactly like the PC game I remembered. Which means you can pick up every weapon and item, however, I have come to discover that has a major downside.

The downside is that it allows you to switch through them in a next / previous fashion. I find this to be a big pain in the butt now as you may need to cycle through 4 or 5 weapons to get to the one you want. Also because it automatically switches to the weapon you just passed over if you dont already have it and there is no way to set a weapon priority to override this feature. This again may cause you to have to cycle through 4 or 5 weapons to get back to the one you want. Not a good thing when you are in the middle of a fire fight. Even when you are not, it is a big PITA! This is true of items as well, but there are only 5 of them total at most.

Not knowing what changes they are going to be making to DNF on the consoles I will give my recommendations (and hopes) below based on what changes I would love to see in both DN3D they have on Arcade and in DNF:

1 Medkit - Make it automatic if you have it in your inventory (in DN3D)
2 Make ALL other inventory items D-Pad items (or at least individually button assignable) in both games (Holoduke, NVG, Roids, Jetpack). Current cycle system in DN3D is a major pain in the butt.
3 Make run mode permanent for MP (put toggle button in for SP activated by a double-click with crouch or something) for both games. He doesnt tire, so what is the point of him not running all the time?
4 Pipe bombs and laser trips stay separated from other weapons and can be used by hitting the bumper buttons. (add to DN3D)
5 Make 4 weapon groups with 3 or 4 slots each. This allows for 12 – 16 weapons. Allow us to assign weapons to the slots and prioritize the slots and weapons accordingly. (in both games) Example below:
• Group 1 Slot 1 is higher than Group 2 Slot 1 as is Group 1 Slot 3, etc.
• I assign the A button to Slot 1. In that slot I have assigned Railgun to Slot 1, Shotgun to Slot 2, Ripper to Slot 3
• I assign the B button to Slot 2. In that slot I have assigned RPG, Devastator, Enforcer (in the order of priority for me)
- Now the way it will work is that if I pick up a weapon of lower priority it does not change to that weapon, it simply picks it up. If I pick up a weapon of a higher priority it changes immediately.
- If I want to change to another weapon within the group I simply hit the key again and the next priority weapon in inventory (already picked up) will be equipped.
- Hitting the button of another group takes you to the highest priority weapon in that group that you have in inventory. Example: I am carrying the RPG and I hit A then I will go to the Railgun, If I don’t have the railgun, but have the shotgun it will change to that. If I don’t have any weapons for that group, it simply will not change.

Last edited by GamingBum27; July 28th, 2011 at 12:27 PM.
GamingBum27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #77
Detinator73
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Among the changes coming to PC are a new expanded inventory option that allows you to carry up to four weapons in the single-player campaign, Valve Anti-Cheat System (VAC) support, push-to-talk voice chat, the ability to adjust FOV plus other fixes and improvements that are still being tested.
Sweet! So basically, we're going to get "Duke Nukem's Day 1 patch". But I think we got a problem: In the Single-Player campaign, Duke should say to the alien queen "Hell, I'll still hit it" when he makes an enterance. So basically, we could stop with the mic spam, cheaters (and hackers) on Duke Nukem server, and with many many many other fixes and improvements. So does that mean that Duke Nukem Forever will be upgraded to the Unreal Engine 3? Hmm....

Oh and these game reviewers (IGN, Gamespot, Gamespy, Gametrailers, etc.) should do a re-review of Duke Nukem Forever after these changes.
[x] - Duke Nukem Parody DLC MP has been released as well as "The Doctor Who Cloned Me expansion"
"::"- Duke Nukem
Detinator73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #78
duke's#1fan
The king himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingBum27 View Post
OK, I was one that hated the 2 weapon limit on the xBox 360.

My opinion has changed though. Up until 2 days ago I was oblivious to the fact that Duke Nukem 3D was in the XBL arcade. So I downloaded it and started playing it. I absolutely love that game and was very happy to see that it is pretty much exactly like the PC game I remembered. Which means you can pick up every weapon and item, however, I have come to discover that has a major downside.

The downside is that it allows you to switch through them in a next / previous fashion. I find this to be a big pain in the butt now as you may need to cycle through 4 or 5 weapons to get to the one you want. Also because it automatically switches to the weapon you just passed over if you dont already have it and there is no way to set a weapon priority to override this feature. This again may cause you to have to cycle through 4 or 5 weapons to get back to the one you want. Not a good thing when you are in the middle of a fire fight. Even when you are not, it is a big PITA! This is true of items as well, but there are only 5 of them total at most.

Not knowing what changes they are going to be making to DNF on the consoles I will give my recommendations (and hopes) below based on what changes I would love to see in both DN3D they have on Arcade and in DNF:

1 Medkit - Make it automatic if you have it in your inventory (in DN3D)
2 Make ALL other inventory items D-Pad items (or at least individually button assignable) in both games (Holoduke, NVG, Roids, Jetpack). Current cycle system in DN3D is a major pain in the butt.
3 Make run mode permanent for MP (put toggle button in for SP activated by a double-click with crouch or something) for both games. He doesnt tire, so what is the point of him not running all the time?
4 Pipe bombs and laser trips stay separated from other weapons and can be used by hitting the bumper buttons. (add to DN3D)
5 Make 4 weapon groups with 3 or 4 slots each. This allows for 12 – 16 weapons. Allow us to assign weapons to the slots and prioritize the slots and weapons accordingly. (in both games) Example below:
• Group 1 Slot 1 is higher than Group 2 Slot 1 as is Group 1 Slot 3, etc.
• I assign the A button to Slot 1. In that slot I have assigned Railgun to Slot 1, Shotgun to Slot 2, Ripper to Slot 3
• I assign the B button to Slot 2. In that slot I have assigned RPG, Devastator, Enforcer (in the order of priority for me)
- Now the way it will work is that if I pick up a weapon of lower priority it does not change to that weapon, it simply picks it up. If I pick up a weapon of a higher priority it changes immediately.
- If I want to change to another weapon within the group I simply hit the key again and the next priority weapon in inventory (already picked up) will be equipped.
- Hitting the button of another group takes you to the highest priority weapon in that group that you have in inventory. Example: I am carrying the RPG and I hit A then I will go to the Railgun, If I don’t have the railgun, but have the shotgun it will change to that. If I don’t have any weapons for that group, it simply will not change.
Duke 3D was a 3D realms game so gearbox won't be doing anything to change it
duke's#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #79
Friday_13th
First Access Club Member

Thanks a lot for the info!
Wonder it takes so long to do this or a similar Post
Patch took to long time... i hope some people come back with release of it.

I will never understand why noone speaks to the community... wahts with game browser fix and dedicated servers?
Friday_13th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2011, 12:47 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #80
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsBunny View Post
Looks to me what they said is that they are working on all three platforms but the 4 weapons limit and FOV adjustment are coming to PC only, with the changes in X360 and PS3 to be announced soon. IMHO the entire second sentence was specifically PC targeted changes.
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiyuki204 View Post
ChrisF, i was wondering will the 4 weapon limit be PC Exclusive?
The expanded inventory feature coming to the PC version is an unsupported option, brought to you as quickly as the team could manage and driven by respect towards the interests of our fans because we knew it was something you really wanted. Unfortunately, to allow any more weapons to be carried at once involves overcoming several significant technical challenges and assumptions within the software that cannot be quickly overcome on consoles without risk to the performance, stability or integrity of the software. As such, it's unlikely that the expanded inventory can be enabled on consoles at this time.

That said, the team is working very hard to further optimize the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions in the forthcoming updates and we look forward to sharing more as those details are finalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoX View Post
what about multiplayer? will it still have two weapons?
Yes. The expanded four-weapon inventory option will only be available in the single-player campaign on PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .stryker View Post
Just a question, Cris:

Is Gearbox aware of the bumpmap thing [on PC]? demo looking sharper than full version and all... I just wanted a confirmation that if its a issue, or just a design choice by the developers;
The team has been looking into it. I think you'll be pretty happy once the update hits...

Last edited by ChrisF; July 28th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote