The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Legacy Gearbox Games > Samba de Amigo

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 30th, 2008, 04:59 PM   #21
rezapbluelion

Default Re: What a shame.. what a real shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesleyh View Post
This is a very informative video: http://www.gamesradar.com/f/samba-de...30122918515005

Controls aren't broken? Come on...
Whats that supposed to prove except that they are crap at both the Wii version and Dreamcast version of the game?
Ive just had a go on Strike a Pose and got 16 poses on Wii which is even more than their Dreamcast efforts
Its like what a couple of us have been trying to say all along.
'YOU NEED TO LEARN HOW THE CONTROLS WORK'.

Edit:
Make that 17 Poses now.

Last edited by rezapbluelion; September 30th, 2008 at 05:36 PM.
rezapbluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:46 AM   #22
Laxeybobby

Just a query, do the Gearbox dev team read and comment on the forums?

Some acknowledgement would be good and probably put this thread to rest.
Laxeybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2008, 08:02 PM   #23
Relics
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxeybobby View Post
You'll notice that post #9 of this thread was by haTts, a gearbox staff member (as indicated by the yellow/tan colored name). That said, they aren't specifically paid to read and post on the forums so don't expect a response to every thread or query.

Last edited by Relics; October 3rd, 2008 at 08:05 PM.
Relics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:31 AM   #24
wesleyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxeybobby View Post

Some acknowledgement would be good and probably put this thread to rest.
Most likely everyone associated with the samba product has been fired Or should be! Not even the decency to comment in this thread..
wesleyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:39 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #25
DuvalMagic
GBX

I was addicted to the Dreamcast version. The controls on the Dreamcast were very sloppy, but I had trained myself how to use that interface because I loved the intent of the game so much.

I trained myself to hold the maracas vertically and to just give them a quick jerk, rather than a shake, to trigger the switch.

When the controls for the Wii version were being developed, it seems like I was never satisfied. I think some percentage of that feeling was because of the low fidelity and inaccuracy of the Wii Remote. But I think the bigger percentage of that feeling was the fact that I had trained myself on the Dreamcast and that training, even though it was an odd way to hold maracas if they were real, was the method that felt "natural" to me.

As the method that was shipped with the Wii version began to settle in after a zillion different prototypes and alternative methods were tested, I began to accept it. I retrained myself with the new Wii interface.

It's different than the Dreamcast, but not any worse. Today, I feel it's better because I've totally retrained myself. But it sucked at first. I think it's easier for new players who never learned on the Dreamcast, but even for them they have to go through the same kind of training that I originally went through on the Dreamcast game - just with this newer Wii remote interface.

The key, I discovered, with the Wii remote is that it's not about height, it's about angle. You must have a base calibration, but from that point, it's about the orientation of the Wii Remote more than anything else. Point the Remote at the floor for the low hits. Point it at the ceiling (or even a little backwards) for the high hits. Point it at the TV for the middle hits. I've gotten good at playing the game without even changing the height I'm holding the remotes at all.

Oh - another thing... Wii Motion Plus would've been a BIG help. Unfortunately, it didn't exist during the development of the game and the budget and schedule wouldn't permit us to delay the game to wait for it. I wish we could do a follow up that utilized the Wii Motion Plus, but I'm not sure Sega would go for it.

Anyway - I hope these notes and this information is of interest or is helpful to anyone playing Samba!

Cheers!
DuvalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2010, 11:40 PM   #26
ThunderWank
Tastes like Lightning

Send a message via MSN to ThunderWank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuvalMagic View Post
I was addicted to the Dreamcast version. The controls on the Dreamcast were very sloppy, but I had trained myself how to use that interface because I loved the intent of the game so much.

I trained myself to hold the maracas vertically and to just give them a quick jerk, rather than a shake, to trigger the switch.

When the controls for the Wii version were being developed, it seems like I was never satisfied. I think some percentage of that feeling was because of the low fidelity and inaccuracy of the Wii Remote. But I think the bigger percentage of that feeling was the fact that I had trained myself on the Dreamcast and that training, even though it was an odd way to hold maracas if they were real, was the method that felt "natural" to me.

As the method that was shipped with the Wii version began to settle in after a zillion different prototypes and alternative methods were tested, I began to accept it. I retrained myself with the new Wii interface.

It's different than the Dreamcast, but not any worse. Today, I feel it's better because I've totally retrained myself. But it sucked at first. I think it's easier for new players who never learned on the Dreamcast, but even for them they have to go through the same kind of training that I originally went through on the Dreamcast game - just with this newer Wii remote interface.

The key, I discovered, with the Wii remote is that it's not about height, it's about angle. You must have a base calibration, but from that point, it's about the orientation of the Wii Remote more than anything else. Point the Remote at the floor for the low hits. Point it at the ceiling (or even a little backwards) for the high hits. Point it at the TV for the middle hits. I've gotten good at playing the game without even changing the height I'm holding the remotes at all.

Oh - another thing... Wii Motion Plus would've been a BIG help. Unfortunately, it didn't exist during the development of the game and the budget and schedule wouldn't permit us to delay the game to wait for it. I wish we could do a follow up that utilized the Wii Motion Plus, but I'm not sure Sega would go for it.

Anyway - I hope these notes and this information is of interest or is helpful to anyone playing Samba!

Cheers!
I quoted Randy Pitchfork.
I feel special.
ThunderWank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2010, 03:14 PM   #27
rezapbluelion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuvalMagic View Post
I wish we could do a follow up that utilized the Wii Motion Plus, but I'm not sure Sega would go for it.

Cheers!
Has the question been put to Sega to provide an answer?
I for one certainly hope that a second installment happens as I totally love this game, but considering that the DLC was halted after just 3 available download packs it doesnt look too likely that we will see a second game with motion plus support.
Forever hopefull that I am I still check every now and then to see if anymore packs have been added.
rezapbluelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2011, 10:15 AM   #28
BandiBurn
First Access Club Member

Need a sequel of some sort to this, the Wii motion sensor just isn't that good enough for most of the time no matter what I do, but it's still fun sometimes when something stupidly random happens and I didn't mean it.
BandiBurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #29
leelika08

Default Re: Your all wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezapbluelion View Post
You guys are all wrong.
This game is bloomin brilliant.
After playing the Dreamcast versions I too felt a little dissapointed with the controls and thought I had made a mistake with the Wii version.
I stuck with it and went through the training mode just to get used to the controls.
Now im used to how the controls work the movements feel so much more natural and can play most of the levels without fault even on the Harder levels.
My wife was the same, but didnt want to listen to me about the training mode and just thought that because weve got both Dreamcast version then things would be just the same.
So there she was throwing her arms around like a demented monkey and getting fail.
The Wiimotes soon came off and saying that its crap and I should take it back and we should stick with the Dreamcast.
The following morning she saw I was doing rather well so decided to try again, but this time doing the training mode to get familiar with the control method.
A few hours later she's getting A ranks all over the place, 1st on the leaderboards and now she says she prefers the Wii version to the Dreamcast version due to no wires getting in the way.
I admit the controls are not perfect, but this no way affects the gameplay.
If anything I would say that the Wii version is alot easier than both of the Dreamcast versions on the Hard settings.
Well done Gearbox, I love it.
I got Samba on day 1. I personally only had problem hitting the top-right circle consistently. I blamed the controls as well after reading all of the reviews online saying that there were problems with the controls.

However, I've played through all of Career Mode (which doesn't get that hard, really), and I believe now that it's not the controls that's the problem. You just need to find how the controls should work.
leelika08 is offline   Reply With Quote