The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Duke Nukem Forever > Other Duke Topics

Old March 19th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #31
Devil Master

Default Re: What do you think the Duke movie will be about?

I really hope it will be an origin story (in the same way Batman Begins was an origin story) and I hope it features Doctor Proton as the main villain. Not as a stereotypical Bond-like villain, but as the transhumanist extremist we saw in TDWCM, smart and cunning, who is genuinely convinced that the world would be a better place under his rule.
Devil Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #32
Bam050196
Groovy

I honestly don't want a Duke Nukem movie. I'd rather have him stay in the games. Just about all game-turned movie adaptions are bad.
Bam050196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #33
Devil Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bam050196 View Post
I honestly don't want a Duke Nukem movie. I'd rather have him stay in the games. Just about all game-turned movie adaptions are bad.
So for you it's not enough not to watch the movie: you want everybody to be deprived of it.
Old March 19th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #34
trustn0!
Ballin

If they are going to half ass it,appeal to call of duty's and Transformers audience aka retards,under-budget it,restrict creative freedom then no i dont want to see a Duke Nukem movie the same way i dont want to see the TMNT reboot currently being helmed by Platinum Dunes ,Michael Bays production company who will also be the executive producer on the film mind you.
Beyond the fact that PD hasnt produced a single good film,the latest remarks over the reboot seem to be indicating that its going to be on the same goddamn mark of quality as the ******* Chipmunks and Smurfs adaptations http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=88157
So no unless we get people who want to actually invest the time,money and creative freedom that such a difficult character to utilize deserves then **** no i dont want to see anything.

Last edited by trustn0!; March 19th, 2012 at 03:49 PM.
trustn0! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #35
Devil Master

Still, just because some people like something you don't, it's not acceptable to call them retards. I don't care about Call of Duty, but I like the Transformers film series: if I had been shown that as a kid in the 1980s, that would've been my dream come true: real-life Transformers! Had I been asked back then if I preferred that or the G1 cartoon series, I would've definitely chosen the movie series. The same is true now.

Having said that, Michael Bay is a perfect choice for an eventual Duke Nukem movie. As Duke said in DNMP: "Babes, bullets, bombs... man, I love this job!" And guess what Michael Bay's movies feature prominently: babes, bullets and bombs! Lots of special effects and lots of destruction, just like what's fun to cause in a Duke game!
Old March 20th, 2012, 07:32 AM   #36
Kalki
Cosmic Enforcer

Allow me to reiterate the Forum Rules which state that you're supposed to post in a civil manner. Failure to do so results in infractions so please heed the rules, thanks.

Forum Rules & Free Speech
Kalki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #37
Northrawn
banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Master View Post
Having said that, Michael Bay is a perfect choice for an eventual Duke Nukem movie. As Duke said in DNMP: "Babes, bullets, bombs... man, I love this job!" And guess what Michael Bay's movies feature prominently: babes, bullets and bombs! Lots of special effects and lots of destruction, just like what's fun to cause in a Duke game!
As you can see from the media's AND fans' reaction to DNF, the Duke needs decent writing and the right setting, mood and tone to work. And that's why Michael Bay would obviously be the wrong choice.
Northrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 10:56 AM   #38
Devil Master

The reaction to DNF was due to the fact that it was hyped for 14 years, and NOTHING can live up to almost a decade and a half of hype. If 3DRealms had decided in 2002 to shut down the DNF forum, remove any reference to DNF in its site and ban whoever mentioned DNF in their forum, then the development had occurred exactly as it did in reality, the reaction would've been more honest as the so-called fans would've judged the game without comparing it with a simulacrum that only existed in their minds.
The style of Duke is grandiose and over-the-top, which matches Michael Bay's movies perfectly.
Old March 20th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #39
Northrawn
banned

Quote:
The reaction to DNF was due to the fact that it was hyped for 14 years, and NOTHING can live up to almost a decade and a half of hype. If 3DRealms had decided in 2002 to shut down the DNF forum, remove any reference to DNF in its site and ban whoever mentioned DNF in their forum, then the development had occurred exactly as it did in reality, the reaction would've been more honest as the so-called fans would've judged the game without comparing it with a simulacrum that only existed in their minds.
The style of Duke is grandiose and over-the-top, which matches Michael Bay's movies perfectly.
If you read the forums carefully you would have seen that a lot of the complaits are because of the immature humour and the setting and Dukes behaviour are targetted at 13 year old kids who just discovered <censored>.
If you want that for a movie then Michael Bay would be the right choice.
Northrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #40
Damien_Azreal
The Spiffy One

Quote:
...Having said that, Michael Bay is a perfect choice...
Michael Bay should never be allowed to make any movie. About anything. Ever.

Upcoming Games: Alien: Isolation, Dying Light, The Evil Within
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote