The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #11
Jelley
First Access Club Member

Default Re: So angry with this game!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien_Azreal View Post
I own Pariah as well, and it can be fun. But it's a really poorly made game with bad level design, a terrible story and a overall meh quality.
Replace Pariah with DNF for what you just said and it fits.
Jelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #12
Damien_Azreal
The Spiffy One

Not for all.
For me, DNF is easily a way better game. I enjoy the level design in DNF (minus a few areas that I've talked about in depth before). I enjoy the shooting, gameplay and variety in the environments.
And the story in Duke is what I expected. A cheap backdrop to allow alien killing and such.

Where as the story in Pariah... makes no damn sense. It starts... okay enough I guess, but then just goes all over the place with no direction or even sense backing it.

BUT, there's been plenty of threads discussing the quality of DNF in the past, everyone's opinion and so on. We don't need another.
If you wish to discuss that, please use one of the existing threads.

Upcoming Games: Wolfenstein: The new Order, Alien: Isolation, Dying Light, The Evil Within
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #13
Dave_Billing
Duke Fan from way back

I've played countless FPS games over the 20 years I've been playing them - believe me, DNF is bad. Really bad. I have played a few shockers in my time, but this game takes the cake. Piece of Cake is not a piece of cake at all. Overall, the game has its good points, but what is bad is exceptionally bad. I could easily forgive the developers if they were to implement a quick save feature alongside the checkpoint system. Because this game needs it - I'm no trial and error person, so I don't like having to die over and over again just to get something right.

Right now, I've just got past the point where you place the first bomb on the dam. I get to the second valve and keep getting killed by the octobrains because they just constantly pummel you and you're trying to get to cover and get oxygen at the same time. Eventually I'll get it, but I'll be frustrated as hell doing it. And that to me, sullies the FPS gaming experience.

Visit my blog at http://billingleveldesign.blogspot.com/
Dave_Billing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #14
trustn0!
Ballin

How can you be playing fps games for over 20 years covering the golden age and say that DNF is hard?
I could understand if it was due to console controls which were completely botched but on PC its absolutely serviceable
I know the part your talking about and on damn im good that part is almost impossible unless you kept the devastator

But on piece of cake?
Unless you fail a platforming section there isnt a chance for you to die
Its that damn easy

Theres a few pipe bombs hidden pick em up and use them against them if you need any advice

Also most FPS SP games are trial and error.
Hell even DN3D was trial and error to a point

Last edited by trustn0!; March 29th, 2012 at 10:30 PM.
trustn0! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #15
Damien_Azreal
The Spiffy One

Honestly, to me, DNF wasn't a difficult or unbalanced game. The challenge felt solid, steady... but never unfair. From enemy placement to level design and flow. Even the "oh so ungodly horrible" platforming sections (which I enjoyed and didn't have problems doing).

There was no section in DNF that took me multiple tries to figure out how to get through.
The only time I got stuck on something for a while was the Octaking boss fight on the "Damn, I'm Good!" difficulty. But, that made sense... Insane Difficulty - Hard boss fight.

Not meaning for this to sound the wrong way, but I've got to side with trustn0! on this. How could you have been playing FPS games for so long, and be having so much trouble with DNF on the easiest difficulty?

Upcoming Games: Wolfenstein: The new Order, Alien: Isolation, Dying Light, The Evil Within
Damien_Azreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #16
Dave_Billing
Duke Fan from way back

Finished the game. The cycloid emperor boss was actually easy. Turns out it's the more heavily multi-tasking based gameplay that gets me. I don't do fighting octobrains, checking my air supply and trying to evade attacks at the same time particularly well. I seldom came across a game like that, at least of that intensity. I think habit got in the way as well. I'm having a crack at Let's Rock mode now.

Old March 30th, 2012, 01:27 AM   #17
~Orcrist
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Billing View Post
Finished the game. The Cycloid Emperor Boss was actually easy. Turns out it's the more heavily multi-tasking based gameplay that gets me. I don't do fighting Octobrains, checking my air supply and trying to evade attacks at the same time particularly well.
Which is perfectly understandable and absolutely fine, but that does not make the game "Bad". The fault lies with you that the Difficulty Curve (Which Spikes up a lot in DNF) is too much for you.

The Difficulty Level of DNF was a fresh relief after a long time of Easy-Ass games. Though it is my opinion that it should have been a bit Harder, it was Taxing nonetheless !

That said, I am glad that you have completed the game and are trying a Higher Difficulty Mode !

PS : Octaking is a B!tch in the "Come Get Some" and "Damn Im Good" difficulties !

Long Live The King !
~Orcrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #18
Dave_Billing
Duke Fan from way back

Yep, definitely my bad. I'm already half-way through let's rock mode and i've only managed to die a handful of times. Doing way better this time.

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #19
Wheatley
Renegade of Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Billing View Post
Got past it. A pipebomb and mostly luck. Piss easy? If you've got perfect reflexes. The octoking was strangely enough easy for me!

Now I'm up to putting the bombs on the dam. Octobrains are bitches.

Of course the game is badly designed. It is possibly the worst FPS shooter ever made.

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

I'm sick of having to die several times over at what is allegedly a "piece of cake" skill level.

Time to do some cheating.

DNF was not good but not bad either, it's like Martmite. You either love it or you hate it.

So you are saying it reaches "Diakatana" level?
But seriously, it's not the worst FPS game ever made, yet there are games that meet those expectations.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Click on my Signature to go to the DN 1998 thread!

Last edited by Wheatley; March 30th, 2012 at 04:23 PM.
Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2012, 03:55 PM   #20
KO Gilligan
Balls of Steel Edition

Location: The Urban Hilltop in Columbus, we love trashy women and tattoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag View Post
It's more like aggravating. I don't like trial and error either. Some people have patience for trial and error.
Yep. It kills the replay value... I honestly had no problem doing the underwater stuff. I died 3 or 4 times and blew my way through - but it was a horrible design.

I have to say I am a lot less tolerant of the simple linear progression in FPS games because of DNF - I liked the game (once), but DNF pushed me over the edge to a point where I really want to play more multiplayer games in which I'm not shoved into a sequence.

Perhaps the industry will someday shift back into single player campaigns with open gameworld maps.