The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 30th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1221
Sh0dan
Immortal Machine

Default Re: Your Aliens Ideas, Suggestions & Wishlists

Try to forget about the blip colours for a second, that isn’t really the point I‘m trying to get across. We all know that the movie shows us white-blue blips whenever the MT picks up motion, and that is what we all want to see in the game, rather than the red blips from the E3 demo.

But what else do we know about the tracker from the movie?

1. The MT scans for micro changes in air density, hence why its called a motion tracker.
2. The MT makes an audible “tick” when it is scanning for motion.
3. The MT makes an audible “ping” alarm when it detects motion.
4. The motion from the hamster wheel sets off the ping alarm.
5. Newt’s motion sets off the ping alarm.
6. Xeno motion most definitely sets off the ping alarm.
7. The marines motion does not set off the ping alarm.

So we know the MT does differentiate marine motion from other motion. We also know the movie never makes it clear if the tracker displays marines on its screen or not.

Therefore if marines are shown on the games tracker as aesthetically different blips then we cant say they are breaking what was established in the movie, because it wasn’t established in the movie.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #1222
cancerinabottle
God

Maybe the Marines would create a blip on the MT, but it would not produce a ping. This would make Marine and Xeno signals mix, creating confusion during a fight, and encouraging slow, steady movements to avoid friendly fire.

Also, completely unrelated to the current subject, I would really enjoy a map-making feature in the game. I love being able to customize games to my liking, and not enough games have map customization. I'm not talking about a Halo-like Forge mode, but a full scale map-maker. You would not be creating everything, as you would have preset buildings and areas which you could put together into countless combinations.
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #1223
Chris!(($$))!
Waiting for A:CM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0dan View Post
blips that make no sound etc.
That would work.
Old March 31st, 2012, 08:58 PM   #1224
Wuckfit

I would love health in the game to be done differently from all other FPS's.

If you get it by an alien, I would love it that your run ability is reduced or your aim is reduced depending on where you get hit. I don't want regenerative health, it is the worst gaming concept ever created as it seriously detracts immersion and tension from any game atmosphere.

If I see an alien coming for me, I want to seriously panick as I know it will do real damage to me, if I see more than one then I want to leg it as I know I will not survive the fight (unless I have the right fire power of course). Not just stand there, get hit and have a red blob pop up on the screen indicating I got hit. It is just so ugly to watch in my opinion.

I think the demo footage has already quelled my wish as I have seen the dreaded basic 'red blob' when the player is hit in the operations room, to which he just stands there and shoots the alien again, I can still hope though that this might be changed though.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 05:56 PM   #1225
cancerinabottle
God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuckfit View Post
I would love health in the game to be done differently from all other FPS's.

If you get it by an alien, I would love it that your run ability is reduced or your aim is reduced depending on where you get hit. I don't want regenerative health, it is the worst gaming concept ever created as it seriously detracts immersion and tension from any game atmosphere.

If I see an alien coming for me, I want to seriously panick as I know it will do real damage to me, if I see more than one then I want to leg it as I know I will not survive the fight (unless I have the right fire power of course). Not just stand there, get hit and have a red blob pop up on the screen indicating I got hit. It is just so ugly to watch in my opinion.

I think the demo footage has already quelled my wish as I have seen the dreaded basic 'red blob' when the player is hit in the operations room, to which he just stands there and shoots the alien again, I can still hope though that this might be changed though.
I really like the idea of area specific damage. Say you get hit on the arm, your aim goes to crap or you drop your weapon. You get hit in the leg, your stunned or knocked down. You get hit in the body, you get knocked down or are dealt more serious damage. You get hit in the face, its either instant death or major damage. Maybe in multiplayer you could have entire body parts ripped off while still being alive, and have to have your squad-mates drag you to a medic to get , say, a prosthetic leg/arm or intense meds. If parts of your torso are missing, its guaranteed death, but you can still fight. Also, have all of this able to be done to you by a single Xeno.
Old April 2nd, 2012, 09:01 PM   #1226
PVTDukeMorrison
5 METERS MAN! 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerinabottle View Post
Maybe the Marines would create a blip on the MT, but it would not produce a ping. This would make Marine and Xeno signals mix, creating confusion during a fight, and encouraging slow, steady movements to avoid friendly fire.

Also, completely unrelated to the current subject, I would really enjoy a map-making feature in the game. I love being able to customize games to my liking, and not enough games have map customization. I'm not talking about a Halo-like Forge mode, but a full scale map-maker. You would not be creating everything, as you would have preset buildings and areas which you could put together into countless combinations.
They did that in AVP, I don't think it worked that well though...
Old April 3rd, 2012, 06:26 AM   #1227
rcoltrane
It's All In The Reflexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVTDukeMorrison View Post
They did that in AVP, I don't think it worked that well though...
I agree, it failed miserably! It makes the MT completely messed up and confusing to use. You have to remember the MT display isn't that large! It was developed to show 'unknown' movements only. I don't understand why people keep talking about it, let's keep it faithful to the movie for Pete sake.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1228
Wuckfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerinabottle View Post
I really like the idea of area specific damage. Say you get hit on the arm, your aim goes to crap or you drop your weapon. You get hit in the leg, your stunned or knocked down. You get hit in the body, you get knocked down or are dealt more serious damage. You get hit in the face, its either instant death or major damage. Maybe in multiplayer you could have entire body parts ripped off while still being alive, and have to have your squad-mates drag you to a medic to get , say, a prosthetic leg/arm or intense meds. If parts of your torso are missing, its guaranteed death, but you can still fight. Also, have all of this able to be done to you by a single Xeno.
Exactly my thoughts mate. If you get hit with acid and have armour, then you can take the armour off so you don't lose health after it burns through, this would really take the FPS genre a step forward in my opinion.

Regen' health is just weak and lacks creativity.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1229
Sir Wagglepuss III
First Access Club Member

You know, I'd really like to see the armour dissolve on the characters themselves. Seeing your buddy left in scraps of armour and limping over to ya after an intense firefight... It shouts out a lot more than a health bar at 5%.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 05:11 PM   #1230
Chris!(($$))!
Waiting for A:CM!

Though I like some of these health system ideas we should remember that those sort of things could easily turn off players whether they are casual or hardcore. I think a system similar to AvP2010 could work in A:CM but instead of having stim packs heal all your injured bars it would only heal one and you have to get a medic to heal everything.
Closed Thread