The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands > BL Class Discussion

Old March 27th, 2012, 04:55 AM   #1
Zoridium JackL

Default Sniper/shotty build help

so here's the deal, I want to build a sniper/shotty build, because there is no such thing as a middle ground when it comes to kicking ass.

there are however, issues that arise, such as no character with perks directly for both, this is where I would like some help picking a class to build this build with, below I will list my opinion on each of the classes and I'm sure you will note my dilemma.

Mordecai: this is the most likely contender, the only one with specific perks for snipers as well as perks the indirectly benefit both shottys and snipers (faster reloads and awesome face killing crits), the real issue is survivability, sure I can not worry about getting shot when sniping, but when I run in to blast stuff with my shot-gun I want to come out the other side better of, I could use perks such as bloodwing and the health regen, but this raises a whole load of other issues, such as I'm not going to be using my sniper close up so I will mostly be relying on bloodwings cooldown, and I will have to invest quite a few skill points that I really need to be investing in shotgun friendly skills, and out of all the possible classes this ones action skill is the least beneficial to the play style.

Roland: perks that directly benefit shotguns but nothing that really helps with sniping (sure I have a larger mag, but a good sniper doesn't need the extra bullets and I would rather have higher damage) although the action skill is suited to the play style, it provides a damage draw when in close combat as well as deploy-able cover when sniping in the less... imaginative, terrains. both of these increase all around combat effectiveness, coupled with rolands much higher survivability this really makes him a possible choice (albeit barely).

lilith: has no perks directly benefiting either weapon, but faster velocity makes for easier sniping and and elemental shotgun is amazing when it procs, so if I can get my hands on some good elemental weapons (my preference is explosive, because I'm not a fan of dots, but I do love me a good armour melter) this could be a very good choice, and strangely enough her action skill not only benefits both styles of play but also ups survivability. as a sniper I can use it to get into position or increase my distance when the enemy get to close, and as a shotgunner I can use it to get in close before engaging and cause some per-engagment damage. this is my second favorite choice right after mord (their really about even because I'm ever so slightly biased) and if I use elemental weapons I think it could be a sure-fire winner (pun anyone? ).

Brick: ok, I'll admit, there are few - no reasons for using brick, but you got to admit that punching people as a skill is REALLY appealing... and he does get a lot of survivability... and can hit people to death...

as it is I am tossing up between using mord for his sniper/damage perks or lilith for her elemental damage and very useful action skill, but I am still completely open to suggestions and ideas pertaining to any of the classes, I'm more looking for fun gameplay than most effective gameplay, as long as it's viable in the later game.
Zoridium JackL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
watho
Dance Commander

Send a message via Skype™ to watho
Default I dunno man

I can't think of any viable build that's useful for both shotguns and snipers. If specced correctly they can both replace each other.

Skyline causes me to download meth
watho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 07:31 PM   #3
MR CauSe iM GoD
The Hot Siren

Default Re: Sniper/shotty build help

Try each character. Then once you find which one you like better. Then use that character. I wouldn't worry about builds till you select a preferred character.
MR CauSe iM GoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:01 PM   #4
tom12121112
E-Counter Terrorism Squad

Send a message via Skype™ to tom12121112

a warmonger brick might be your go to guy. revenge is an INCREDIBLE skill. with a warmonger COM thats +90% damage on kill. any and every gun benefits greatly froma buff like that. otherwise a blastmaster is nice too. explosive shotguns arent great, but you still have revenge and master blaster. if you can get a good hammer or crux, then there really arent much better shotgun builds out there. and dont even get me started on the torgue cobra sniper rifle.

on top of all that, you have all the survivability you could ever wish for.
Old April 1st, 2012, 09:33 PM   #5
Zoridium JackL

I'm currently trying with mord, and I have to say, deadly + killer + trespass = a whole lot of hurt, and the focus accuracy bonus gives some very tight groupings on otherwise aimless shotguns.

and as of yet I am having no real survivability issues, and that fact that I will only have one healing ability isn't really bothering me all that much.

although I might give brick a try, although I suspect I'll just end up hitting everything and never even carrying a gun...
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:59 PM   #6
Nagdabbitall

Someone forgot the Ogre Mod, got a good one, tried it, nuthin compared to Bombardier.
Nagdabbitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Hellz Lips
GBX OG Urban Cowboy

Send a message via Skype™ to Hellz Lips

ranger mord. this gives you the highest crit damage, huge accuracy buff which is awesome with matadors and other high spread shotties, and 1 second BW cooldown. im thinking endgame build with all skill points, too tired to think of leveling strategy.

damage per shot will be the overall highest for both gun types. a ranger with 8/5 focus holding a jakobs or atlas matador with 30ish accuracy will now be closer to 60-70% accuracy. 12 pellets @300+ damage to the cranium with crit buffed by deadly? lots o' hurtin, the next dude is even more ****** cuz of killer and relentless, and if relentless procs for the kill shot, then it is done.

overall i think this would be my build tree

for every one that thinks mord is too squishy, try to dodge and jump while attacking. with consistent movement and shooting while strafing in between jumps, combined with instant BW call back for health you can stand up to the best of them.

my second vote would be a warmonger brick. i think the overall damage buff and tanking capability would flow pretty well. and you can sock em

lilith is just IMO the easy option and to me boring. the high velocity and slayer skills are beneficial, but the crit isnt as high as mord and HV is gonna screw up your sniping for other characters. but you always got PW to puss out and run away with

Roland would be pretty good, but you would have to have some discipline. start running commando and you probably wont ever equip a sniper again. though shock trooper with all elementals and lots o sentry tossing would be a lot of fun (ive tried it with an orion and multiple elemental shotties, but it turned into a spam build) YMMV
Old April 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Cedrien

I'd definitely recommend a Ranger or Gunfighter Mordecai. I'm a huge fan of Jakobs, so if you don't mind being limited to a certain manufacturer, that'd probably be your best bet. I have a Gunfighter Mord, and I can tell you from experience and testing, that the 61% damage increase from the Gunfighter will do more damage, critical or not, than a Sniper or Ranger mod. Granted, I have a Bessie, so the damage difference won't be that significant in snipers without a huge critical multiplier, but it will still do more. Also, the Gunfighter's 5th line gives accuracy or reload speed. The accuracy would be more beneficial on your shotguns, considering Mord's reload speed from proficiency, Fast Hands, and Killer.

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

Sorry, I forgot to mention a few things. If you focus on getting Trespass as well as Relentless, you'll be as formidable as any Mordecai runnin' a Sniper mod, and as efficient with shotguns as any Commando Roland, Ogre Brick, etc. People will dispute this, but given certain weapons, skill builds, and class mods, you'll be more than end-game material.

Last edited by Cedrien; April 3rd, 2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM   #9
Zoridium JackL

well, so far so good with mordacai (level 45) and I have a decent ranger mod, I was thinking about using a gunfighter (if I could find one) but the lack of +4 to predator is a little discouraging, seeing as how I won't be getting carrion call and all my survivability will be coming from bloodwing. most enemies go down very fast of any of my shots so much as look at their crit spots, I have tress-pass and am working my way down the center tree.

on another note I found a nice skullmasher, the ultimate shotgun/sniper cross-breed.
Old April 4th, 2012, 12:12 AM   #10
Cedrien

Smile Re: Sniper/shotty build help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoridium JackL View Post
well, so far so good with mordacai (level 45) and I have a decent ranger mod, I was thinking about using a gunfighter (if I could find one) but the lack of +4 to predator is a little discouraging, seeing as how I won't be getting carrion call and all my survivability will be coming from bloodwing. most enemies go down very fast of any of my shots so much as look at their crit spots, I have tress-pass and am working my way down the center tree.

on another note I found a nice skullmasher, the ultimate shotgun/sniper cross-breed.
Ranger is a great choice, but I'd still argue Gunfighter is better. Here, I'll post some stats. Not tryin' to be persistent, just feel like helpin' a fellow Mord out.

Ranger:
-60% Accuracy
-84% Critical Hit Damage
-3/4 Predator.
-3/4 Focus.

Gunfighter:
-61% Weapon Damage
-84% Accuracy or 56% Reload Speed
- 3/4 Deadly
-3/4 Focus

A Gunfighter mod would provide more damage to your shotguns, especially considering shotguns aren't intended for headshots. Regardless, the 9 in Deadly would give you a 54% critical bonus anyway. That's more than a Roland or Brick can get, period. More damage as well. They get a 42% damage increase, whereas you'll be getting 61%. Sure, they have a higher rate of fire, but is that necessary? Your higher base damage, and rate of fire from proficiency and Relentless is more than enough. Gunfighter will also out-damage a Sniper mod, assuming you have a decent Jakobs sniper. I've tested this, and I've concluded that the extra raw damage % from a Gunfighter more than replaces the critical % from a Sniper mod. It's basically the difference between having a small number multiplied by a large amount, or a large number multiplied by a small amount. Though, Gunfighter comes slightly on top.

Your concern seems to be with survivability. Rather than relying on instant Out for Blood, get Riotous Remedy and and an Impenetrable Panacea. This doesn't mean no Out for Blood, just not instant. More offense equals less of a need for healing. You should use your shotgun as a defensive weapon when/if you're not able to kill them all with your sniper. I'll happily give you a Bessie, Jakobs Shotgun, Unforgiven Masher, and a decent Panacea if you're an Xbox player. Also, I'll post my build if it helps any.

Last edited by Cedrien; April 4th, 2012 at 12:20 AM.