The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Duke Nukem Forever > DNF General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Old April 14th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #111
trustn0!
Ballin

Default Re: OK now please release the DNF SDK / Mod Tools + Unlock the console GBX

Wasnt terrible it was just limited

FOV slider is a plus and the only real issue i had was with the lack of certain options and the bizarre lock at 60fps when my hardware could have surpassed that easily
Had to configure the ini files in order to bypass that lock

Last edited by trustn0!; April 14th, 2012 at 01:27 PM.
trustn0! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 08:46 AM   #112
necroslut
Duke fanboy

Default Re: OK now please release the DNF SDK / Mod Tools + Unlock the console GBX

If not the editor, then they should at least reenable the console.
necroslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #113
Devil Master

I wonder if it would be legal for them to take an old version of DNF where the editor still did not crash, remove all the maps but leave all models, scripts, textures and sounds, and release that as DukeEd.
Devil Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 11:30 AM   #114
magnetite2
3D Realms veteran

Speaking of mod tools, I'll use an example from another game I play.

I'm a big fan of Microsoft Flight Simulator. Now one of the things which made it what it is today was not Microsoft, but the community. Microsoft released an SDK as they've done with previous versions of Flight Simulator. Since then, there has been thousands of add-ons created as well as many other positive things.

Now some of you might have heard, they have made a new game called Flight, which is basically a stripped down version of FSX without an SDK. I'm not joking, it's more of a flying game than an actual flight simulator. Instead, they are planning on selling the addons as DLC, and only they can make them.

So far, I'd say it's been a huge failure, because SDK are important to the community. Without an SDK, Microsoft is basically in control when it comes to content. This kind of takes away the freedom of the gaming community.

Anyways, long story short, releasing an SDK for DNF is essential for it's community and long term growth. Otherwise, might end up like Microsoft Flight.

Development for FSX has ceased since 2009 or so from Microsoft, but it lives on through that SDK. Just a thought.

Last edited by magnetite2; April 27th, 2012 at 12:16 PM.
magnetite2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #115
MrBlackCat
Not De-clawed...

I think mod tools will be the standard again in the future because of this...

Due to DRM systems like Steam, you can't resell most games anymore. Because of this, if you want to play the game, you have to buy a new copy, which still benefits the Publisher/Developer... which is the opposite of most games made just a few years ago.

The point is the the release of mod tools would give people more reason to buy the game for years to come, in a way that would be of benefit to the Publisher/Developer.

Even for consoles... the next gen consoles will work the same way as Steam with registered games. No sale or sharing of used games with either of the next gen consoles. Another side-effect is that GameStop is history, as it draws most of its revenue from resale of games. It will have to become something else to survive.

Because Duke Nukem Forever is already a Steam game, I don't see where it would do any harm to release mod tools. For years, if people wanted to play the mods, the STILL have to purchase the game, ONLY from the Publisher/Developer.

Make sense?

However... After looking at online models I have recently learned about from owning an Android device, it would not surprise me if the whole market moved to the micro-transaction world and the concept of "buying" a game dissolves. This is because to potential to make on-going profits is higher with this business model than any type at the present. Why would an investor, who doesn't care about gaming anyway, invest in something with a lower potential? They won't.

I am trying to simplify this so it will fit into a forum post... I think the level of thought I have already devoted to this far exceeds what is acceptable for a forum post due to length.
I will cut it off here, but there is a LOT of expansion and reason behind each of the concepts I typed above.

MrBlackCat

Last edited by MrBlackCat; April 27th, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
MrBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:53 AM   #116
RedDragon1
Bite my shiny metal ***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture Rising View Post
Ultimately, its 2K's decision to release that stuff, and i doubt now that anything new will be released.

I kinda dont want any more DNF to be released, its now time for Gearbox and Triptych to move on and focus on the next Duke Nukem game.
How it is 2k's decision if we'll ever get mod tools, old builds and all that stuff in general. Wasn't Gearbox that paid some million dollars to get the rights for Duke Nukem?
RedDragon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #117
Rapture Rising
oh yeah, i went there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDragon1 View Post
How it is 2k's decision if we'll ever get mod tools, old builds and all that stuff in general. Wasn't Gearbox that paid some million dollars to get the rights for Duke Nukem?
Its because they are the publishers, they have ultimate control over DNF.
Rapture Rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #118
prophecy holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture Rising View Post
Its because they are the publishers, they have ultimate control over DNF.
This, 2K controls GBX and they decide if things happen or not. Since 2K is your typical publisher, mod tools are not likely.
prophecy holder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #119
Slaz
Jazz Jackrabbit Fan

Could anyone enlighten me about who originally said 'the DNF editing tools are broken' and where? I've obviously missed it.

LVL 69 Heavy Gunner LVL 20 Defender
Pearls: 1 Jackal.
Slaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 04:45 AM   #120
john_paul
banned

There is nothing wrong with the mod tools, my children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr3XGWw1zUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPq4B7CNV5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_3pJ9EvutQ
john_paul is offline   Reply With Quote