The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old April 29th, 2012, 01:56 AM   #21
nckyd616

Default Re: Borderlands 2 Leveling Fix?

Am I the only one who thinks its more about what equipment you have than what lvl you are?

For instance I'm currently on pt 2 in dlc 3 I have lvl 45-50ish combustion hellfire facing enemies that are around my lvl higher and lower and I still blow through them with very little effort obviously it takes a littler longer on bad asses and bosses but still not that difficult I have actually used lower lvl weapons to make it more challenging for myself.

I do think character lvl does play some role and you can't forget about weapon proficiency plays into it too but I think the gear you are using plays the biggest role out of all three.

I think one of the cool things about this game is that you can actually make it easier or harder for yourself just by changing the gear you are using. Hell I'm still using a lvl 37 vladoff that I just love but takes me longer to kill things than with my shiny combustion hellfire but I find it fun and a little more challenging, but when thing get way to hairy I bust out the hellfire but that's the choice that I get to make and that's why I think it's great it doesn't corner me into a set difficulty and I have to play that way all the way through I can choose when I want it to be more difficult and when I don't.
Old April 29th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #22
inepticon
XBL GT: porkchopSAMURAI

I want to do every side quest in my first playthrough to stay up with the games narrative. I'm worried about the over leveling. My hope is that there isn't huge xp for most of them. I'd love small xp rewards and instead iridium or equipment rewards upon turning in. I hope the same for the slaughter dome, I could see it screwing up the leveling also.

"Wise man say, forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza." -Captain Picard
inepticon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM   #23
Madman340
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

I liked how it was in Borderlands 1, because my normal progression was like this:

Go through all the quests, do the skag arena thing in Fyrestone, then go on to the next area with Lucky. After that though, and I got to New Haven, I generally was disinterested and just grinded through the main quests. That got me back to the point where it was difficult again.
Old April 29th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #24
en_sabah_nurr
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotgirl View Post
Not really. The side-quests can be fun and sometimes lead to things like extra elementals (shock crystal cave, tetanous warren and Moe & Marle come to mind instantly), Clap-trap rescues and the like.

Those of us that are "completionist" LIKE to do the side-quests and I feel like it ruined the game once the DLC came along and doing those, in order, would get me so over-leveled that the game completely lost it's challenge and "fun-factor" for me.

I'm on something like my 20th playthrough and HATE that I have to stop and think, "oh no, I can't do that side-quest that I like to do because I'll start getting ahead of the game". Or that I can't do any of the DLC on PL1 because I might get over level 30 and ruin PT2.

I doubt I'm alone in that the leveling issue kind of ruined the game for me. I still love to play but it's not as fun anymore when I can't do the missions that I like to do or play the game the way I want to.

So here's hoping they DO find some kind of happy medium for BL2 on the leveling issue.....

Ciao ya'll......rg
^^^ he pretty much summed it up for me. i personally liked the side missions (except for the get 25, 50, 100, 250 brains/robot components) bc they offered more of an insight on the npc's and story. made the experience richer and i like completing everything. i paid for the whole game so will enjoy all it has to offer, not just the main storyline.

where the leveling system really felt broken for me was when i would finish the main game and go on to the dlc. i would be way stronger than the enemies and it would get boring.
en_sabah_nurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM   #25
TalonProudhawk

There was not really a point in BL1 where I felt I wasn't able to get a quest or two to reach the level required to tackle the newest challenge.

My only issue with leveling in the first game was that I am a completionist and like to experience it ALL. Therefore I often found myself overleveled after the first zone which was not that fun so I then started skipping quests. I don't want to skip quests. I'd be ok with it honestly if they just gave an option to slow down or turn off xp gain from regular kills for a bit if you wanted to experience all side missions and keep from outleveling content.

I assume you could say, just have them balance it where if you complete everything then you're on point for the level of the content. Well that covers ME but leaves out the other set of people who would rather stay on story and skip side missions as they'd be left underleveled then. It's hard to say what the best option to resolve that is other than cut out unnecessary missions (less content) which I wouldn't want or try to relate all missions in some way to the overall story so story-only people wouldn't be too upset playing through every single mission.

Just give me a toggle switch for XP gain off kills and it would work for me with BL1 pacing. Just my opinion.
TalonProudhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:18 PM   #26
RodHull
Pure chewing satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckyd616 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks its more about what equipment you have than what lvl you are?
Yeah you might well be

If enemies are more than 4 levels above you they are epicly powerful regardless what weapon you use. They get standard damage reduction based on how high above/below you they are. LVL was much more important than gear imo

As for the overall thread issue, I dont think it will be anything like BL1. Remember post release before the various DLCs dropped the leveling was pretty good. It was only after ZI and latterly Knoxx that issues arose. With Knoxx this was compounded by the fact they raised the cap without much thought for the wider implications... well done community on that one!! Proving once and for all dont listen to closely to your fans cause they havent got a bloody clue whats good for them

In GBXs defense I dont think they ever dreamed they'd release 4 DLCs so the systems weren't in place at launch to allow for leveling issues to be addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhite1 View Post
Fair enough. As long as we both agree you're a bit of a b**tard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Gopher View Post
Rod Hull is about sarcasm, but of the very boring type!
Me so popular!!
RodHull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:22 PM   #27
Madman340
▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodHull View Post
Yeah you might well be

If enemies are more than 4 levels above you they are epicly powerful regardless what weapon you use. They get standard damage reduction based on how high above/below you they are. LVL was much more important than gear imo

As for the overall thread issue, I dont think it will be anything like BL1. Remember post release before the various DLCs dropped the leveling was pretty good. It was only after ZI and latterly Knoxx that issues arose. With Knoxx this was compounded by the fact they raised the cap without much thought for the wider implications... well done community on that one!! Proving once and for all dont listen to closely to your fans cause they havent got a bloody clue whats good for them

In GBXs defense I dont think they ever dreamed they'd release 4 DLCs so the systems weren't in place at launch to allow for leveling issues to be addressed.
Yeah leveled impacted difficulty the most I think. Ever try dueling with somebody 1 or 2 levels higher/lower than you? Gun plays no part in selecting the victor, as long as it isn't some absolute garbage gun you've had for 20 levels.