The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old May 6th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #41
Kaleun Cook

Default Re: Crossroads update thread and discussion

Great, can't wait to play this!

Obviously a lot of you have watched BoB. But did you know that the actual event of shooting the "kid" was apparently a little bit different? Winters writes about it in his book "Beyond Band Of Brothers". Maybe this also helps Pooky to fill the gap he encountered without having the feeling to get too unauthentic.

It wasn't an unprepared kid he encountered there. Instead it was a guard post who was aware of the enemies on the other side of that hill. Quote from the book (p. 140-141):

"I simply took a running jump onto the roadway. Good God! Right in front of me was a sentry on outpost, who still had his head down, ducking the covering fire from Lieutenant Reis. To my right was a solid mass of infantry, all packed together, lying down at the juncture of the dike and the road, on which I was standing and which led to the river. They, too, still had their heads down to duck under that base of fire. Since it was already cold in October, the enemy were all wearing their long winter overcoats and had their backpacks on, all of which hindered their movement. Every single man was facing the dike and I was in their rear. I realized what the size of a company formation of paratroopers looked like and I knew this was much larger than one of our companies. Other than a lone sentry, who was directly in front of me, the rear of this mass of men was about fifteen yards away and the front of the company was no more than an additional fifty yards from my position.

I wheeled and dropped back to my side of the road, pulled the pin of a hand grenade, and tossed it over. At the same time, the German sentry lobbed a potato masher back at me. As soon as I threw the grenade, I realized that I had goofed. I had kept a band of tape around the handle of my grenades to avoid an accident in case the pin was pulled accidentally. Furthermore, the enemy's grenade also failed to explode. I immediately jumped back up on top of the road. The sentry was still hunched down covering his head with his arms waiting for my grenade to explode. He was only three or four yards away. After all these years, I can still see him smiling at me as I stood on top of the dike. It wasn't necessary to take an aimed shot. I simply shot from the hip. That shot startled the entire company and they started to rise and turn toward me en masse. After killing the sentry, I simply pivoted to my right and kept firing right into that solid mass of troops."
Kaleun Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #42
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

Send a message via MSN to Pooky

thanks Kaleun, that's a solid piece of information.

I had a setback today, been working for a few hours on the groundwork when my pc crashed. I had shortly before saved my map, but when i rebooted and started the level up my editor crashed instantly again.. it appears my map file was corrupt. Good thing i had a backup in the cloud, just in case.. but it set me back some time (about a week) so I'll be redoing some things I had created in the past few days. The level itself is quite nice in terms of the feeling you get when running around in it. I managed to create my own terrain material using GBX's way of coding the alpha blending layer system, and mashed the textures I wanted (grass, dirt, earth) together. I'll keep you guys updated on further progress ofcourse.

Update discussion of the unofficial BIA SDK. Last update: 1 June 2014
Pooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #43
freshfreddy
Gearbox Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaleun Cook View Post
Great, can't wait to play this!

Obviously a lot of you have watched BoB. But did you know that the actual event of shooting the "kid" was apparently a little bit different? Winters writes about it in his book "Beyond Band Of Brothers". Maybe this also helps Pooky to fill the gap he encountered without having the feeling to get too unauthentic.

It wasn't an unprepared kid he encountered there. Instead it was a guard post who was aware of the enemies on the other side of that hill. Quote from the book (p. 140-141):

"I simply took a running jump onto the roadway. Good God! Right in front of me was a sentry on outpost, who still had his head down, ducking the covering fire from Lieutenant Reis. To my right was a solid mass of infantry, all packed together, lying down at the juncture of the dike and the road, on which I was standing and which led to the river. They, too, still had their heads down to duck under that base of fire. Since it was already cold in October, the enemy were all wearing their long winter overcoats and had their backpacks on, all of which hindered their movement. Every single man was facing the dike and I was in their rear. I realized what the size of a company formation of paratroopers looked like and I knew this was much larger than one of our companies. Other than a lone sentry, who was directly in front of me, the rear of this mass of men was about fifteen yards away and the front of the company was no more than an additional fifty yards from my position.

I wheeled and dropped back to my side of the road, pulled the pin of a hand grenade, and tossed it over. At the same time, the German sentry lobbed a potato masher back at me. As soon as I threw the grenade, I realized that I had goofed. I had kept a band of tape around the handle of my grenades to avoid an accident in case the pin was pulled accidentally. Furthermore, the enemy's grenade also failed to explode. I immediately jumped back up on top of the road. The sentry was still hunched down covering his head with his arms waiting for my grenade to explode. He was only three or four yards away. After all these years, I can still see him smiling at me as I stood on top of the dike. It wasn't necessary to take an aimed shot. I simply shot from the hip. That shot startled the entire company and they started to rise and turn toward me en masse. After killing the sentry, I simply pivoted to my right and kept firing right into that solid mass of troops."
Thanks for the post. I was about to do something similar (but as long)

you can see in BOB the part were Winters tapes his grenades. The other part was left out of the movie

statement of a Captain to his runner in Holland:
'if you dig that foxhole any deeper, I'll consider you AWOL!' - out of Hell's Highway by G. Koskimaki -
quoted by Oddball:
We got our own ammunition, it's filled with paint. When we fire it, it makes pretty pictures, scares the hell outta people! And we have a loudspeaker, when we go into battle we play music, very loud. It kind of... calms us down."

freshfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2012, 02:45 AM   #44
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

good news, I'll be having extra time in the near future to work on the map. YAY

Old May 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #45
JoeHeartstack
First Access Club Member

that is good news
JoeHeartstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #46
MickityMike
OccurredStone

Arr, 'tis good news indeed.

Oh ****! - Plaxico Burress
MickityMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2012, 01:54 AM   #47
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

Last night I ended up at the same point I was at when my pc crashed last weekend.. Good, now I can continue past making ditches. lol

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #48
BARnone

Hey Pooky,

Any idea what percentage you might have completed so far? Just curious
Maybe we're harder on ourselves than you guys will be on us, but we don't feel good when things get released when we don't feel they're done/good enough/perfect/etc. Thanks for the support, for telling us what you think and for the patience as we bring this baby in for a landing.
BARnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #49
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

Well, it's hard to say. I'm still working on the terrain, currently I've finished the ditches and roads that are in the playable area, and I'm setting up fences all around. I think I'm at 20% of total progress, maybe? not sure how fast everything will go though. I'm planning on doing some work on lighting and stuff like that too to create extra atmosphere; I haven't done this before.

Old May 12th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #50
JoeHeartstack
First Access Club Member

so we still have at least a month................I can deal with that. It's a lot faster than Black Mesa. They need to release that mod already.
JoeHeartstack is offline   Reply With Quote