The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:00 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #111
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

Default Re: List of COMs, Skills, Relics and Guns affected by Multi-Projectile Glitch (W.I.P.

I posted this in a related thread, but it bears repeating here too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Just wanted to pop in and let everyone know that we've been keeping a close eye on both this and related threads. While I'm not a designer (and thus can't really speak to what's intentional or not) I can tell you that all the specific details you've provided are extremely useful for the team that's digging into this.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #112
Gestalt Intellect
Anarchist Girlfriend

Default Re: List of COMs, Skills, Relics and Guns affected by Multi-Projectile Glitch (W.I.P.

Thank you thank you thank you I was losing hope of ever having another shotgun anarchy rampage. It's not a fix but it helps.
Old January 7th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #113
Mann42
VP, Mercs & Tourism

Thanks for compiling all the facts and data, Turtle. You are a god among turtles.
Mann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:44 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #114
DuvalMagic
GBX

You guys are awesome.

Constructive people are good. Science is good.

As we have already proven, we'll make adjustments when we're sure things are wrong. We are likely to make more adjustments.

We have top men working on this stuff. Top men.

So we trust them generally. We also play our game a lot before releasing adjustments into the wild. When we feel good about something, we go for it with confidence. I trust our top men and generally defend them as knowing what they're doing.

Our statements typically are in our software. We tried to fix something that we messed up on. We did fix it, but this science shows there may have been other things that were affected in ways that don't seem right.

Remember that it's a human process. Check it out: You play the game much more than we do because you are millions of people and we are hundreds. So some among you might notice things we didn't.

Also consider: The game is super complex and the way it is engineered and designed makes strange things happen with the math sometimes. When we test the game, we don't sweat the math so much - we sweat the experience and the general range of possibilities. That approach is useful when trying to sweep through a big, complex game so you don't have to wait a year for any updates, but it's not as effective as what crowd sourced analysis and big data telemetry can produce with products released into the wild.

Now - while it's fun to do science and to figure this stuff out, try not to let the strangeness you discover inhibit your ability to have fun with the game. The game is complex enough where there are many approaches to combat effectiveness and all encounters are proven beatable even with strangeness with certain configurations. So don't forget to have fun in spite of any strangeness you discover now or in the future.

Thanks for being awesome if you're awesome. I see a lot of awesome constructiveness and it makes me proud and excited and it's also helpful to the Top Men. I also see some weak-sauce here and there around the forums and I think you know what I'm talking about. That makes me sad and makes me want to shut things down to make the weak-sauce go away. So, don't be weak-sauce. Be awesome. I don't mean to make a threat, please do not take this sentiment as one, but I do think it's responsible of me to give you some fair insight into my very human emotional response to some of the behavior I see sometimes. I think you know what I mean. So be cool

Critical thinking and science is awesome, btw, so I'm quite happy if you keep doing that if it turns you on.

So what does all this mean?

Well. First, thanks for the science! Second, try to have fun regardless of what the science shows you. Third, we've got Top Men doing great things with lots of awesome stuff to come and the science is noticed as work happens.

Thoughts: Sometimes some garbage (like an empty soda cup and some crumpled pieces of paper or something) flies across the field while you're playing soccer or something. If everyone stops and just focuses on the garbage, the soccer playing stops and you don't have any fun. Someone can (and should) say, "Hey - garbage on the field" and depending on how much garbage it is and how disruptive it is, it'll probably get picked up in the next whistle or period break. No one is stopping the game for it, though. It's just some garbage and garbage happens all the time. Besides, too many people are having a great time and aren't even noticing the garbage.

Now, some people are those kind of people that need acknowledgement for noticing the garbage. They think, "No one has noticed this garbage on the field! I have noticed it! I'm yelling about it and no one seems to care! The grass is so nice and green and that trash over there is just ruining it! IT'S RUINING IT! AARRGH! WHY DOESN'T ANYONE STOP THE GAME AND PICK UP THE GARBAGE?!? I'll yell LOUDER and LOUDER until they do! AARRGH!!"

We all have known those kinds of people. Some of them seem to come to our forums, lol. We should all be grateful for the garbage-pointer-outer-people. It's important to sweep the field and keep it tidy and we need to spot the garbage in order to sweep it up. So garbage-pointer-outer-people are helpful and their hearts are in the right place, usually.

But garbage-pointer-outer or not, when dealing with other people - especially people you hope to affect - It's all about attitude, rather than intent, motive or result. Humans are strange things - we tend to make decisions based on emotions and feelings, sometimes in spite of rationality and reason, oddly. Those of us who exist to entertain others seem to have a lot of emotional tuning built in, so keep that in mind too.

But we should also all remember that the whole point is to have fun and if people are having fun sometimes they don't want to be yelled at about garbage - especially when it's not a lot of garbage in the grand scheme, it happens to be on a part of the field they don't care about watching, and it'll probably get scooped up anyway in a bit and there is so much fun to be had just kicking that ball around and playing the game.

Remember - I've been saying "YAY!" to the science aspect of this. I'm just saying "you're doing it wrong" about certain attitudes that aren't constructive. Don't forget that if you're active here. Attitude is everything.

Also - It's been awhile since I've posted anything to the forums. I read them a lot, but I have to confess that I've been afraid to post lately - since before the game launched. I'm afraid that fear has gotten worse instead of better. I don't think any of us are happiest about that. But people take things out of context... Anyway, I love our community and want to participate more, but there's a lot of risk in it because of how some people are. Thank you in advance for not making me regret visiting and posting. And please don't behave in ways that might make one resent the forums all together. Most of you are awesome, but some of you guys are CRAZY! (Am I right?) But all of you are important, and you're why we do what we do. So try to be as awesome as you can be as you play here together with us. Stop every once and awhile and drink a nice, tall, cold glass of perspective and think about the kind of attitude the very best people in this world have and try to have that attitude. And, most importantly, don't forget to enjoy the game.

Anyway - I hope you guys take all of this in the best possible way and realize that I am VERY proud and excited that you guys care so much about what we've created that you spend your time here and in our game. I am humbled by the passion and it fuels me to want us to do better and better.

Please trust that our hearts are in exactly the right place - we just want to create joy and happiness through entertainment. But we are human and what we do is very rare and difficult and complicated and we go so fast because we want you to have our work as fast as we can. We know that if we make mistakes, people don't die. We're not programming surgery robots or tourist orbital platforms - we're making video games. So we go fast and we take risks and we do it in the name of entertainment. We want to make you happy and put a huge amount of ourselves into that purpose.

We think we did a pretty good job and we think we created a lot of joy. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is perfect so we try not to hate ourselves too much where there are lessons we've learned. Still - it kills us when some of you express vitriol in spite of all of the goodness we know we've created.

Evidence of joy we've created makes us work harder and motivates us. Evidence of hate is defeating and makes me want to give up or just move on to something else different. So spread joy and happiness - it's better that way!

Think about that.

For those that are awesome (There are a LOT of you), keep up the good science! You have my thanks!

Cheers!
DuvalMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #115
sutasafaia

So does that mean something is broken, is not broken, or were you just coming in to say hi? Cause, you know...hi

I promise we aren't all crazy, at least not in a bad way. Normal people are boring anyway though >.>
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #116
BadRobot427
Draw 2 Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuvalMagic View Post
You guys are awesome.

Constructive people are good. Science is good.

As we have already proven, we'll make adjustments when we're sure things are wrong. We are likely to make more adjustments.

We have top men working on this stuff. Top men.

So we trust them generally. We also play our game a lot before releasing adjustments into the wild. When we feel good about something, we go for it with confidence. I trust our top men and generally defend them as knowing what they're doing.

Our statements typically are in our software. We tried to fix something that we messed up on. We did fix it, but this science shows there may have been other things that were affected in ways that don't seem right.

Remember that it's a human process. Check it out: You play the game much more than we do because you are millions of people and we are hundreds. So some among you might notice things we didn't.

Also consider: The game is super complex and the way it is engineered and designed makes strange things happen with the math sometimes. When we test the game, we don't sweat the math so much - we sweat the experience and the general range of possibilities. That approach is useful when trying to sweep through a big, complex game so you don't have to wait a year for any updates, but it's not as effective as what crowd sourced analysis and big data telemetry can produce with products released into the wild.

Now - while it's fun to do science and to figure this stuff out, try not to let the strangeness you discover inhibit your ability to have fun with the game. The game is complex enough where there are many approaches to combat effectiveness and all encounters are proven beatable even with strangeness with certain configurations. So don't forget to have fun in spite of any strangeness you discover now or in the future.

Thanks for being awesome if you're awesome. I see a lot of awesome constructiveness and it makes me proud and excited and it's also helpful to the Top Men. I also see some weak-sauce here and there around the forums and I think you know what I'm talking about. That makes me sad and makes me want to shut things down to make the weak-sauce go away. So, don't be weak-sauce. Be awesome. I don't mean to make a threat, please do not take this sentiment as one, but I do think it's responsible of me to give you some fair insight into my very human emotional response to some of the behavior I see sometimes. I think you know what I mean. So be cool

Critical thinking and science is awesome, btw, so I'm quite happy if you keep doing that if it turns you on.

So what does all this mean?

Well. First, thanks for the science! Second, try to have fun regardless of what the science shows you. Third, we've got Top Men doing great things with lots of awesome stuff to come and the science is noticed as work happens.

Thoughts: Sometimes some garbage (like an empty soda cup and some crumpled pieces of paper or something) flies across the field while you're playing soccer or something. If everyone stops and just focuses on the garbage, the soccer playing stops and you don't have any fun. Someone can (and should) say, "Hey - garbage on the field" and depending on how much garbage it is and how disruptive it is, it'll probably get picked up in the next whistle or period break. No one is stopping the game for it, though. It's just some garbage and garbage happens all the time. Besides, too many people are having a great time and aren't even noticing the garbage.

Now, some people are those kind of people that need acknowledgement for noticing the garbage. They think, "No one has noticed this garbage on the field! I have noticed it! I'm yelling about it and no one seems to care! The grass is so nice and green and that trash over there is just ruining it! IT'S RUINING IT! AARRGH! WHY DOESN'T ANYONE STOP THE GAME AND PICK UP THE GARBAGE?!? I'll yell LOUDER and LOUDER until they do! AARRGH!!"

We all have known those kinds of people. Some of them seem to come to our forums, lol. We should all be grateful for the garbage-pointer-outer-people. It's important to sweep the field and keep it tidy and we need to spot the garbage in order to sweep it up. So garbage-pointer-outer-people are helpful and their hearts are in the right place, usually.

But garbage-pointer-outer or not, when dealing with other people - especially people you hope to affect - It's all about attitude, rather than intent, motive or result. Humans are strange things - we tend to make decisions based on emotions and feelings, sometimes in spite of rationality and reason, oddly. Those of us who exist to entertain others seem to have a lot of emotional tuning built in, so keep that in mind too.

But we should also all remember that the whole point is to have fun and if people are having fun sometimes they don't want to be yelled at about garbage - especially when it's not a lot of garbage in the grand scheme, it happens to be on a part of the field they don't care about watching, and it'll probably get scooped up anyway in a bit and there is so much fun to be had just kicking that ball around and playing the game.

Remember - I've been saying "YAY!" to the science aspect of this. I'm just saying "you're doing it wrong" about certain attitudes that aren't constructive. Don't forget that if you're active here. Attitude is everything.

Also - It's been awhile since I've posted anything to the forums. I read them a lot, but I have to confess that I've been afraid to post lately - since before the game launched. I'm afraid that fear has gotten worse instead of better. I don't think any of us are happiest about that. But people take things out of context... Anyway, I love our community and want to participate more, but there's a lot of risk in it because of how some people are. Thank you in advance for not making me regret visiting and posting. And please don't behave in ways that might make one resent the forums all together. Most of you are awesome, but some of you guys are CRAZY! (Am I right?) But all of you are important, and you're why we do what we do. So try to be as awesome as you can be as you play here together with us. Stop every once and awhile and drink a nice, tall, cold glass of perspective and think about the kind of attitude the very best people in this world have and try to have that attitude. And, most importantly, don't forget to enjoy the game.

Anyway - I hope you guys take all of this in the best possible way and realize that I am VERY proud and excited that you guys care so much about what we've created that you spend your time here and in our game. I am humbled by the passion and it fuels me to want us to do better and better.

Please trust that our hearts are in exactly the right place - we just want to create joy and happiness through entertainment. But we are human and what we do is very rare and difficult and complicated and we go so fast because we want you to have our work as fast as we can. We know that if we make mistakes, people don't die. We're not programming surgery robots or tourist orbital platforms - we're making video games. So we go fast and we take risks and we do it in the name of entertainment. We want to make you happy and put a huge amount of ourselves into that purpose.

We think we did a pretty good job and we think we created a lot of joy. It's not perfect, but nothing ever is perfect so we try not to hate ourselves too much where there are lessons we've learned. Still - it kills us when some of you express vitriol in spite of all of the goodness we know we've created.

Evidence of joy we've created makes us work harder and motivates us. Evidence of hate is defeating and makes me want to give up or just move on to something else different. So spread joy and happiness - it's better that way!

Think about that.

For those that are awesome (There are a LOT of you), keep up the good science! You have my thanks!

Cheers!
BadRobot427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #117
DesecratedFlame
banned

Quote:
You guys are awesome... Cheers!
Problem is multi-pellet weaponry took a major hit, and that breaks a large part of the game. If it was all a tragic mistake then so be it. People could over look it until it is fixed. The problem is that no one in a position of authority has told us if it will be fixed or not. Before the bee nerf it would have seemed obvious. Now, no one here is sure what to think.
DesecratedFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:57 PM   #118
Island Gopher

Thanks for taking the time to update us gamers Randy.
Island Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #119
Earth.Emissions
Smokin' From Shootin'

nice to see a response from GBX and nice to see some of you guys do check into the forums here and there.
Earth.Emissions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2013, 11:59 PM   #120
xXDeathtrapXx

Quote:
We tried to fix something that we messed up on. We did fix it, but this science shows there may have been other things that were affected in ways that don't seem right.
This is really all you need to focus on. Nothing else matters. Except that he said awesome a LOT. They screwed things up, they admitted it, now I don't know about you guys but I'm ready to move on from this and I am left only with a good feeling about the possibility of these issues being fixed.

Member of "the Cult of the Spiderpants"
xXDeathtrapXx is offline   Reply With Quote