The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
mindbowels

Unhappy Steam and non-Steam connection issues?

Hi. After patch 1.3, myself and a friend were finally able to start playing multiplayer. Took forever but now that it works, I love the game.

We have another friend that wanted to join us and he bought the Steam version (we have the box version). This is where things go bad. He can connect to a random other public lobby but any time he tries to connect to me or I try to connect to him, we get a connection failure.

So, what is the issue? Firewall seems unlikely since others can connect to me and he can connect to a random other server. Version doesn't seem an issue since we are all on 1.30 (his enforced by Steam). So what is it? It is such a shame that such a great game has been so hampered by connection issues and poor UI. The fact that we put up with such crap is a sign of how awesome the core is.

Anyways, thoughts? Would be extremely grateful.
mindbowels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #2
KooriiShiiemu
Upgrading...

Send a message via MSN to KooriiShiiemu Send a message via Yahoo to KooriiShiiemu Send a message via Skype™ to KooriiShiiemu
Default Re: Steam and non-Steam connection issues?

Do any of you use routers? Specifically with NAT? I see that come up often enough when reading about these issues.
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #3
mindbowels

Thanks Koorii. I'll look into that, we both have routers. Weren't most of the router complications eliminated in the 1.3 patch?
Old March 13th, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
KooriiShiiemu
Upgrading...

Send a message via MSN to KooriiShiiemu Send a message via Yahoo to KooriiShiiemu Send a message via Skype™ to KooriiShiiemu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbowels View Post
Thanks Koorii. I'll look into that, we both have routers. Weren't most of the router complications eliminated in the 1.3 patch?
I don't think they were. I think some of the problems might have to do with how Gamespy handles connections from what I've read (I could be wrong here... memory is a funny thing). Either way I know Gearbox is still looking into it. Good luck solving this problem. I know how frustrating it can be trying to get computers and games to do what you want them to do when they aren't cooperating.
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM   #5
mindbowels

So what is it that needs to be done with routers, etc. Is there an up to date guide?
Old March 15th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #6
blactionhero

If you still can't get this to work, try using Game Ranger:
http://www.gameranger.com/

It's a gay name, but this program is pretty much the ****. It will take care of the connecting for you.
blactionhero is offline   Reply With Quote