The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Technical Support > Borderlands Technical Support > BL PC and Mac Technical Support

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:17 PM   #1
Biglove

Default Cannot install Borderlands Downloaded from Steam

Hi. I recently purchased and downloaded the three DLC packs for borderlands from steam. I had previously purchased borderlands and it worked perfectly. I had uninstalled the game a few months ago to make room on my hard drive. Now I cannot install it, at all.

When attempting to install, I immediately get a "Borderlands has encountered a problem and needs to close" The error report is as follows:

Error Signature
AppName: borderlands.exe AppVer: 1.3.0.0 ModName: borderlands.exe
ModVer: 1.3.0.0 Offset: 023714cc

Further Information gives:

Exception Information
Code" 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000 Record: 0x0000000000000 Address: 0x00000000027714cc

Event viewer gives this:

Faulting application borderlands.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module borderlands.exe, version 1.3.0.0, fault address 0x023714cc.

My specs are:

Windows XP Pro (5.1, 2600)
Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @2.66Ghz (2 cpus)
2Gigs Ram
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

Summary: Purchased and downloaded through Steam. Borderlands worked flawlessly on a previous install. Uninstalled Borderlands due to disk space needs. Purchased all three DLC packs through Steam. Attempted to reinstall Borderlands and immediately got an error. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, defragmented cache files, verified game cache integrity, as well as attempted some of the listed workarounds and fixes multiple times with no success. I have also updated my drivers, including PhysX with no appreciable benefit.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Biglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:25 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
botman
GBX

Default Re: Cannot install Borderlands Downloaded from Steam

You might want to completely uninstall PhysX before installing Borderlands and see if that helps.
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Biglove

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
You might want to completely uninstall PhysX before installing Borderlands and see if that helps.
I tried this today after fighting with Steam to download Borderlands. It didn't work. When I attempted to launch Borderlands, it installed PhysX, then gave me an error. "Borderlands has encountered a problem and needs to close."

Event Viewer:

"Faulting application borderlands.exe, version 1.3.0.0, faulting module borderlands.exe, version 1.3.0.0, fault address 0x023714cc."

I've basically reinstalled steam, verified game cache repeatedly, updated all my drivers, DirectX, PhysX, video card, C++. I don't know what to do.
Old April 21st, 2010, 12:45 AM   #4
Biglove

I just deleted and downloaded Borderlands again, and I'm still getting the same error. Help?
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:29 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
botman
GBX

Maybe try the suggestion in this thread about removing the Borderlands files from your "My Documents" folder?...

http://gbxforums.gearboxsoftware.com...d.php?t=104399

Other than that, I have no idea.
Old April 21st, 2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Darkdrium
Dazewing

I'll customize that for Steam.

Uninstall Borderlands via Steam.
Delete the entire directory: X:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\borderlands
Back up your save files which are in: X:\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\SaveData
Delete the entire directory: X:\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands
Re-install Borderlands.

I can't definitely say this will solve your problem, but a clean install generally solves a lot of problems.

Last edited by Darkdrium; April 21st, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Darkdrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2010, 04:44 PM   #7
Biglove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkdrium View Post
I'll customize that for Steam.

Uninstall Borderlands via Steam.
Delete the entire directory: X:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\borderlands
Back up your save files which are in: X:\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands\SaveData
Delete the entire directory: X:\My Documents\My Games\Borderlands
Re-install Borderlands.

I can't definitely say this will solve your problem, but a clean install generally solves a lot of problems.
This has been exactly what I've done with each install/reinstall. I can only guess something is interfering with Borderlands, which is really odd because nothing else is running whenever I install. It's also odd that Borderlands ran perfectly before I downloaded the three DLCs.

So basically, it's either a problem with my steam download, or something on my computer is screwing up the install. Are there any programs known to interfere with Borderlands? I've disabled my firewall as well as completely shut off my Anti-Virus (Comodo).

I think I'll try downloading again and installing it on a new user profile in windows. Maybe that will help.
Old April 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #8
botman
GBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglove View Post
Are there any programs known to interfere with Borderlands?
The PhysX that comes with newer nVidia drivers is the only external program that I'm aware of that lead to failure when trying to install and/or run the game. Usually uninstalling the game, completely removing PhysX and then rebooting will fix any problems related to it.

The only other thing I can think of would be some recent Microsoft Update that might be causing problems. You could try restoring to an older restore point to see if that helps.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 10:03 PM   #9
Biglove

Well, I am really at a loss. The problem must be with Steams download. Borderlands worked perfectly for me two months ago, and I've done everything I can think of just short of formatting my hard drive, which is NOT something I'm willing to do. That said, I'm very disappointed. I paid over $70 for a game and three DLC packs to not play them.
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:01 AM   #10
Darkdrium
Dazewing

Have you tried switching your download location to another Steam server?
Redownload the game again, maybe a file on the other server is wrong or something...
Darkdrium is offline   Reply With Quote