The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > General Discussion > Off-Topic

Old July 30th, 2010, 01:22 PM   #1
baldactor
Zef

Default Uncle/niece incest?

It's a provocative title, but for research, not personal reasons.

I just got cast in a play in which an uncle and niece go from best friends to lovers. Doing some research I found that Uncle-Niece, or Aunt-Nephew marriages are not illegal in many countries (jncluding some US states, most of Canada, Australia) and in others is seen as quite normal (India).

Are there circumstances in which the relationship would ever seem 'normal' to you? Do you make your judgement for moral or medical or religious reasons?

If the uncle and niece are not very far apart in age or even the same age?
If the uncle married into the family and is no blood tie? (presumably he is divorced or a widower)
If the niece is adopted?
If both are consenting adults who met past the teenage years?

Thanks for whatever response.. just getting a feel for how audiences might react.
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:09 PM   #2
L3VIATH4N
I failed the Turing test.

Default Re: Uncle/niece incest?

Also depends on the context of the marriage. Is it borne from love, or is it an excuse to have sex? If the union is made as an attempt to legitimize sex, I'd have issues with it, but I see it that way for all couples. If two people want to love each other, by all means, let them.

On a rational level, I have no problem with the relationship just because of the relationship between the two individuals. I'm not sure what my immediate emotional reaction would be, though. I think I'd be more accepting if the family ties were not direct, and if that, aside from blood relations, they fit into the perceived norm of a couple. Same age makes more sense than the niece having a relationship with someone the age of her father, if not older. If the niece (or the uncle, depending on how the family bred) happened to be excessively young for a mature relationship at the time of courtship, I'd be wary of the relationship.

I had a conversation with a stranger about a similar subject a while ago. Somehow, the subject of pedophilia was raised, and, playing the devil's advocate, I noted that many pedophilic (homosexual ones, at that) relationships arose - and were even encouraged - between teacher and students during the ancient greek period, though at more of a mentor-apprentice level than the one-teacher-thirty-students that you'd see in modern schools.
L3VIATH4N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #3
EIB will kill me ish
poon king

Send a message via ICQ to EIB will kill me ish Send a message via AIM to EIB will kill me ish Send a message via MSN to EIB will kill me ish Send a message via Yahoo to EIB will kill me ish Send a message via Skype™ to EIB will kill me ish

at first I was put off...thinking ewwies id never bone my aunt...but then it made me think of one that married in and yeah ida boned her...then thought about following up after my uncle and then got put off again...so im back to no way for me...unless of course they hadn't boned yet and I caught her attn before the honeymoon.
"There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state w/ another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must have felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of living."
EIB will kill me ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 02:38 PM   #4
baldactor
Zef

I think my big stumbling block for the relationship would be undue influence or the perversion of a normally platonic relationship.

Break up with your niece, or get a divorce, and still see them at every family event?

Is the Uncle or Aunt (or really even the niece or nephew) much older? It's like priests or parents who take the trust a younger person would have for them and methodically 'help them' make the decision to engage in sex acts with this trusted person. That's seriously messed up.

But yeah, all things being equal: age, maturity, genuine love, no actual blood relation, I would be inclined to say no big deal. But maybe because it's all hypothetical. I can't imagine falling in love with any of my real life aunts/uncles/nieces nephews, but none of the above really applies.

I do have some distant cousins that I was really attracted to, but I was a teenager, and my hormones were in overdrive.
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #5
jaredhite1
First Access Club Member

Hooking up with anybody you knew when you were an adult and they were a young child is greasy. Also, hooking up with somebody with whom you have a reasonably close blood relation is greasy. I suppose there are theoretical uncle/niece relationships that wouldn't fall under either of those criteria, where it's kind of like, "haha, he's my uncle, even though I never knew my aunt and we're the same age" or something. I think it's possible that something like that would be socially OK.

Edit: Also, it needs to avoid the standard creepyness rule of not marrying or dating anyone under (your age/2) + 7.

Last edited by jaredhite1; July 30th, 2010 at 03:41 PM.
jaredhite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Funkprint
Excelsi0r!

I wouldn't marry my auntie and I think it would spawn some pretty twisted offspring.
Old July 30th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #7
baldactor
Zef

I read an article that said that the risk of inherited disease wasn't much higher, close to negligible, for uncle-niece or aunt-nephew relationships where there was a blood relation. Obviously if there is no blood relation, there is no additional risk. Father daughter, mother-son, sister-brother relationship are much worse genetically.

Edit: this is the link I believe...
http://www.slate.com/id/2064227

Last edited by baldactor; July 30th, 2010 at 04:00 PM.
baldactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #8
baldactor
Zef

What if this is your niece?
She's 24, you are 30.

What if this is your aunt?
She's 30, you're 24.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM   #9
MickityMike
OccurredStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldactor View Post
What if this is your niece?
She's 24, you are 30.

What if this is your aunt?
She's 30, you're 24.
In a heartbeat.

Oh ****! - Plaxico Burress
MickityMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 10:42 PM   #10
MiniSiets
QQ moar plox

Send a message via AIM to MiniSiets

Though I've never particularly been super attracted to any of my relatives, I've never really felt the same stigma that a lot of other people seem to feel when they think about it either. At the end of the day, I just don't really care or see what's so disgusting about the fact that at a microscopic level someone has matching strands of molecules as me. My bigger concern is the repercussions from breeding. Outside of the nuclear family for the most part it's pretty safe for first generation breeding, but inside the nuclear family is usually putting a significant risk on a child. Your parents and siblings share about 50% of your DNA, which means there's a hell of an increased chance of double recessive gene pairings.

So blah blah, TL;DR, skipping the rest of the biological details: If it's consensual and outside the nuclear family, go for it. If it's inside the nuclear family, please wear a condom at least; it's unfair to the child otherwise.

Last edited by MiniSiets; July 30th, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
MiniSiets is offline   Reply With Quote