The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Duke Nukem Forever > DNF News

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 5th, 2010, 07:42 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
Joe Siegler

Default Duke Franchise Transferred to Gearbox

Duke Nukem Franchise Transferred to Gearbox Software

Borderlands and Brothers in Arms creators, Gearbox Software, acquire ownership of the legendary Duke Nukem franchise and brand.

Dallas, TX – September 5th, 2010 – Gearbox Software announced today that it has acquired the full intellectual property rights of the 'Duke Nukem' brand including Duke Nukem Forever and all future projects in a cooperative deal made with 3D Realms. Gearbox Software is an award-winning video game developer known for the creation of original mega-hit franchises, including Borderlands and Brothers in Arms, which have each earned critical acclaim and have been bought by millions of people worldwide.

"Fifteen years ago, Duke Nukem 3D helped launch my professional video game development career," said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. "The Gearbox Software team and I are ecstatic that we have grown to a position to be able to pick up and carry the torch and help Duke rise back to glory in his time of need. Fans of the legendary hero and all the incredible talent that have ever helped him all deserve the very best support that we can bring. Please join me in supporting Duke in his triumphant return so that we may all enjoy the unique, one-in-million entertainment experience that only Duke Nukem can bring."

Since its inception in 1991, Duke Nukem has evolved into one of the most iconic brands in the history of video games. The Duke Nukem franchise is renowned for uniquely engaging and entertaining millions of gamers by providing them with highly explosive content and entertaining gameplay mixed with waggish humor. Franchise highlights include Duke Nukem 3D in 1997 and Duke Nukem : Manhattan Project in 2002.

"Gearbox was handpicked as the new home for Duke Nukem because of their continued passion, commitment and long-time heritage with the brand and 3D Realms. Gearbox and Duke Nukem make for a devastating match made in video game heaven," commented Scott Miller, co-founder of 3D Realms. "The gaming community's love and demand for the Duke Nukem brand never wavered and Gearbox will not disappoint them. As you have seen from titles such as Borderlands, Gearbox will bring the right level of addictively compelling gameplay, humor and high powered explosive action to the franchise. Duke Nukem is back and will be bigger than ever."

"Gearbox was the only home appropriate for the Duke Nukem brand. They are very talented and possess the perfect perspective and understanding of the brand. Their vision for its future direction is exciting and unbelievable. I am personally cannot wait for fans to see their unique take on the franchise," said George Broussard, co-founder of 3D Realms. "This will be a win-win situation for everyone involved, especially the fans."

The first product to be available under the Duke Nukem brand will be the long awaited Duke Nukem Forever. Duke Nukem Forever will be published by 2K Games, which has exclusive, long-term publishing rights to the game and is expected to launch in 2011 on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. Duke Nukem Forever will bring players back into the Duke Nukem universe with memorable ass-kicking mayhem for the millions of fans who have been anticipating its arrival over the past decade.

For more information on Duke Nukem Forever, please visit http://www.dukenukem.com
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:14 PM   #2
War Thrash
I am the Duke! I am A #1!

Default Re: Duke Franchise Transferred to Gearbox

Well hey, now George can play as a fan rather than a creator, and that will probably make him very happy.

I'd still like for future Duke projects to have his input and collaboration. He, along with you, Scott, and the former 3dr employees at GBX know Duke the best.
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM   #3
jeager1999
Legendary Duke Status

Where do we post Idea's for Future Duke Nukem Franchises/Products. Cause I got Tons of them.
jeager1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #4
Nacho
With Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeager1999 View Post
Where do we post Idea's for Future Duke Nukem Franchises/Products. Cause I got Tons of them.
I think we should wait for this one to come out before we start that discussion.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #5
War Thrash
I am the Duke! I am A #1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Thrash View Post
Well hey, now George can play as a fan rather than a creator, and that will probably make him very happy.

I'd still like for future Duke projects to have his input and collaboration. He, along with you, Scott, and the former 3dr employees at GBX know Duke the best.
Oh and of course Triptych
Old September 5th, 2010, 08:59 PM   #6
jeager1999
Legendary Duke Status

So 3DR no longer has any involvement with Duke?
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #7
KSweeley
Longtime Duke Nukem Fan.

Send a message via AIM to KSweeley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeager1999 View Post
So 3DR no longer has any involvement with Duke?
Seems like it, Gearbox is now the new owners of Duke Nukem. This is totally awesome in my opinion.
KSweeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:09 PM   #8
Myst3r1o
Loyal Fan of Duke

I didn't think I'd ever see the day when The Duke returns in all his ass-kicking glory. And then Sept. 3 came and BAM, THE DUKE IS BACK!

I think if there's one developer that can make Duke Nukem shine and be the baddest dude in the galaxy, it's definitely Gearbox Software!

I pre-ordered Duke Nukem Forever way back in 1998 at EB Games(I unfortunately lost the receipt, or have no idea where it is), so I guess now I'll have to pre-order the game again, but this time at GameStop.

2011 is the year of Duke Nukem!

"It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all outta gum."

YOU RULE, Gearbox!
Myst3r1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #9
VipeNess
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Siegler View Post
Duke Nukem Franchise Transferred to Gearbox Software
Congrats and Can't wait to get my hands on this game and bring back Duke Nukem!
XFX ATI 6970 HD - 2GB GDDR5
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 SLI-Ready Edition 4GB DCM
(3) Dell S2409W HD Monitors
Native Resolution: 1920x1080 (5760x1080)
Logitech G15 Keyboard & Mx510 Mouse
Creative 7.1 Surround Speakers
Windows 7 Professional
VipeNess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #10
jeager1999
Legendary Duke Status

No skillfull in Paint but here is an Idea.