The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands > BL Off-Worlder Creations

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:31 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
botman
GBX

Default Psycho Bandit mask papercraft project

I finally finished my Borderlands Psycho Bandit mask papercraft project...

You can download it here.

You will need to download the Pepakura Viewer (Windows only) from here (it's free)...

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-e...ad/viewer.html

I've tried a couple of different methods to allow you to see out of the mask. Cutting out the eye holes didn't look very good. Someone had suggested to use a mesh in place of the eyes. I tried a couple of different materials for the mesh (window screen mesh, mosquito netting, even panty hose) but even when painted they didn't show off the colors very well and they were difficult to work with. I finally just decided to try poking some tiny pinholes in the paper to allow you to see out of and that worked pretty well...

Here's a picture of the completed mask...

...and a picture of the back of the mask showing how I attached a rubber band so that you can wear the mask...

Some of you might want to use the mask for a Halloween costume. You can get yourself some orange pants, a black kneepad, some black boots, put a black driving glove on your right hand and wrap some athletic tape on your arms and you'll look like this guy...

...don't forget to shave your head!

If you like this project, you might also want to try my Marcus Bobblehead papercraft project.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #2
Soulprince
Sweet Cinnamon Tity

Default Re: Psycho Bandit mask papercraft project

That is AWESOME!! God dam Botman, looking sweet! I'm definitely going to give this a try. Keep it up, I love seeing this kind of stuff
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Apocalyptic Hobo

You've been Kotaku'd.

Technical Issue? Check up on the
Known Issues Thread before posting in the Technical Support Forum.

"Man's belligerence knows no bounds aside from the extent of its own mortality."
Apocalyptic Hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:40 PM   #4
moomindude
The good kind of troll

Just light yourself on fire, scream about pounding meat puppets, and you're ready for some clean, wholesome trick-or-treating fun!

moomindude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #5
senselocke
sick and tired

Kotaku'd indeed, I followed the link here.

You don't have to shave your head--half the guys with that mask have mohawks, and so do I. Unfortunately, I'm too damn tubby to pull off the no-shirt thing. Maybe some radiation poisoning, alien food, starvation, and psychosis will trim me down enough, hey?
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #6
thrasherv3
Spreading the Fire

Oh look, this one actually fits your head this time

Last edited by thrasherv3; September 8th, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
thrasherv3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #7
Soulprince
Sweet Cinnamon Tity

I've download and printed out the mask and let me tell you, putting it together isn't easy...
Old September 8th, 2010, 01:54 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
botman
GBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulprince View Post
I've download and printed out the mask and let me tell you, putting it together isn't easy...
Try doing it five or six times!

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM   #9
Dreadgazebo

Snap, this is ace work man. I tried using this program for a couple things a couple months ago and I failed horribly. Take two I guess, Any other useful tips going into it? So far as how much of a bend we should actually make, or a full fold on the lines? Any thing you've learned from doing it so many times?
Dreadgazebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 03:38 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #10
botman
GBX

Almost all of the folds are "gentle" (i.e. you don't have to bend it very much). The only place where really sharp folds happen is the black edge on the back of the mask (and when you get there, it's obvious that you have to fold the paper almost 90 degrees).

Other than that, just keep referring back to the Pepakura model viewer to see which way things fold and take your time.