The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > General Discussion > Games and Tech

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:06 AM   #1
Caine1

Default Do games really get dumbed down and suck nowadays?

i really am sad how gaming evolved atm. i see big problems (with some exceptions) which really get on my nerves and im somehow sad that im not enjoying games like they used to be, i thought it's about getting older but no...

it is because of things like this crap:

- too many party, family games
- apps and games for iphone etc.
- hollywooded crap like CoD
- DLC's
- consolized gameplay (consoles arent bad but the devs make the games dumbed down cause of multiplatforming in mind)
- too expensive in production

and so on...

i just enjoyed very few in the last years...
Caine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 08:26 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
botman
GBX

Default Re: Do games really get dumbed down and suck nowadays?

Well, let's see. Based on the fact that people who are texting each other can't seem to spell anything correctly anymore and based on the fact that so many people don't know how to use proper punctuation or grammar, the intelligence level of the world as a whole is rapidly falling and the entire world is becoming "dumbed down".

Don't you think the games should match?

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #3
Caine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
Well, let's see. Based on the fact that people who are texting each other can't seem to spell anything correctly anymore and based on the fact that so many people don't know how to use proper punctuation or grammar, the intelligence level of the world as a whole is rapidly falling and the entire world is becoming "dumbed down".

Don't you think the games should match?
you are just diverting, im no native english speaker and i dont care on the internet for grammar much, main point you can understand it.

so you indirectly admit that games and perhaps gearbox dumb down their quality too then cause the people all over the world get dumbed down in their brains?

nice, i save this! .
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:33 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
botman
GBX

The average IQ of the world is rapidly falling. People depend more and more on machines to do things for them (rather than use their brains or their muscles to do things for themselves). This is how the machines want it and will enable them to take over the world very soon.

Skynet is not far off.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:36 AM   #5
Caine1

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
The average IQ of the world is rapidly falling. People depend more and more on machines to do things for them (rather than use their brains or their muscles to do things for themselves). This is how the machines want it and will enable them to take over the world very soon.

Skynet is not far off.
now thats a good post and better one!

even the old hollywood movies had more to say.
Old October 12th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #6
LV-426
Visual FX Artist

"The future is not set. There is no fate, but what we make for ourselves."

-John Connor.

"As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no I in team, but there is an I in pie. And there's an I in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team... I don't know what he was talking about."
LV-426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Temet Nosce
Dementat Philosophus

I'm unsure if you're being facetious or not Botman, but your words made me smile either way.

Anyways, to address the matter more seriously - IQ =! Intelligence =! knowledge, and while trends in mindset and education are distressing I don't think they're really relevant to this conversation.

Previously, gaming was a niche hobby that catered specifically to the hobbyist, now with a vastly larger customer base, a vast quantity of whom are willing to pay money for games which cater to a radically different set of paradigms than traditional gamers. The type of games which are made are changing to match the new customer base.
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:35 AM   #8
Sh0dan
Immortal Machine

Yes.

The problem is, that some developers think making their game more accessible means removing features, or just not implementing them to begin with. For example: Gamers complain about inventory management in an RPG. Developer solves problem simply by entirely removing the inventory system from the game.

Not cool. They should’ve figured out how to keep the inventory AND make it less frustrating to use. It wasn’t that the gamers were too dumb to understand the inventory system, it was just the implementation of the system that made it awkward and frustrating to use.

Its lazy game design and implementation that’s the problem, and its why a lot of modern games are getting labelled with the “dumbed down” gamers seal of disapproval.

I respect those developers that have the end goal of making their games more accessible without taking away the intelligence and skill required to play them. In other words keep the challenge, lessen the frustration.

Another thing that is relevant I think, is the popularity of gaming. Gaming is far more popular at this point in time than it ever was in the past, and it will continue to grow more popular as we head into the future. Now is that because developers are appealing to a broader audience with dumber games? or, is it simply down to the fact there are more people in the world that have grown up playing video games?

I think too many publishers and developers think its the former.
Old October 12th, 2010, 02:56 PM   #9
Caine1

yes there are good points and true.

the thing is i observe, like in hollywood movies, you got in the past movies which were really deep. also in gaming, you had to implement yourself sometimes much more into them. also storywise etc.

now the stuff gets more brainless and i dunno, if you watch movies, games, music and so on, i think overall it gets more brainless.

and i think, from my experience, people get more brainless and naive in reality too...

a real horrifying evolution!
Old October 12th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #10
Sh0dan
Immortal Machine

Yeah, yeah we are all regressing intellectually. But botman is wrong, it wont be robots that inherit the Earth, it will be monkeys. Dey iz sooo gona own uz @ CoD 3000.

Seriously though, I don’t have a beef with every game, and certainly not music or movies. There are crap movies, there are good movies. Ditto with music, and video games. There are still plenty of in-depth video games being made IMO, like Fallout 3, Borderlands and hopefully Deus Ex Revolution. A lot of these games are just as detailed as they ever were, but with the added bonus of years worth of improvements and better tech behind them.

The only way video games are being “dumbed down” (which is terrible wording), is that some publishers and developers (not all) water down their products to try to appeal to a broader audience. Its for marketing reasons only. Same reason MP adversarial is pretty much shovelled into every game these days, even when it isn’t needed.

Last edited by Sh0dan; October 12th, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Sh0dan is offline   Reply With Quote