The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old November 16th, 2010, 05:18 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1
Joe Siegler

Exclamation Duke Nukem Forever FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING!

Since the Duke Nukem Forever forums have opened here at Gearbox, a few issues have come up repeatedly, so we've decided to gather some of them and provide the answers, so if you start a thread with one of these questions, you might find your thread closed, and your attention directed here.

This will be updated as time goes on with future Q&A when needed. Here goes:

Ordering Information:
  1. Q: How can Duke Nukem Forever be ordered?
    A: It can be purchased at numerous retailers and videogame stores near you, check your local listings. It can also be ordered via numerous online retailers, such as Amazon.com and others. It can also be ordered completely digitally via Steam.

2. Q: What platforms & versions is the game available in?
    A: The game has been released on PC, Xbox 360, & PlayStation 3. It is available in a standard and a Balls of Steel edition (more details below on BoS). Both variants are available on all three platforms.

3. Q: Is there any other Duke Nukem Forever merchandise available for purchase?
    A: Yes, check out the Gearbox store here.

4. Q: Can I still get a First Access Club code?
    A: First Access Club codes are no longer available as a pre-order incentive, but can still be found in new copies of Borderlands Game of the Year Edition. If you have an unregistered First Access Club code, you can enter it here.

5. Q: Is there a strategy guide?
    A: Yes. BradyGames publishes both a standard and a Limited Edition Strategy Guide. The standard version is 288 pages, and the LE is 400 pages. The LE is a hardback edition, and has additional artwork, photos, and behind the scenes information that the standard edition does not. It is available at bookstores everywhere.

Balls of Steel Edition:
  1. Q: Where can I order the Balls of Steel Edition?
    A: The Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition is available exclusively through GameStop and Amazon in the United States.

UPDATE (6/17): It appears that Gamestop has run out of their stock, and no longer carries it. Amazon.com does still have it available in all three formats as of this date.

2. Q: Will it be available outside of the United States?
    A: TYes, the Duke Nukem Forever Balls of Steel Edition is available internationally. But as with the US version, quantities are limited, so check your local shops for availability. Amazon's Canadian & UK shops are also out of stock, but some UK online retailers (play, shopto, & Zaavi) still have it in stock as of Jun 17th.

3. Q: How many copies were made?
    A: There was a total of 136,000 copies of Balls of Steel produced worldwide - every territory where the game was sold received an allotment. As a collectible edition, these quantities are finite and 2K will not produce any more copies of the Balls of Steel Edition.

4. Q: What are the contents of the Balls of Steel package?
    A: You can see a picture of the Balls of Steel package on the Gearbox site here. There are numerous videos on Youtube if you'd like to see video of folks unboxing it.

5. Q: Bust Size? Art book size?
    A: The Bust is 5 inches in height. The art/history book is 100 pages in length and covers tons of concept art throughout the history of Duke Nukem Forever's development. It also has a bunch of quotes with multiple pieces of art from George, Scott, Triptych, Brian Cozzens, etc.

Addons / DLC:
  1. Q: Will there be downloadable content for Duke Nukem Forever?
    A: Yes. How much DLC, what the various release dates are, and distribution methods have not yet been announced.

2. Q: How much will the DLC packs cost?
    A: The first DLC is expected to sell for $9.99 / 800 MS Points. Additional details are available here.

3. Q: What's this I hear about some people getting the first DLC for free?
    A: If you were a registered user of the Duke Nukem Forever First Access club BEFORE the game was released (in your country), then you will get the first DLC pack for free.

4. Q: After I entered my FAC code, I was given a demo key for the wrong platform. I'm eligible for the free DLC, will I get the right platform?
    A: Before the DLC is made available, you will be given an opportunity to confirm your platform choice.

General Questions:
  1. Q: What has Duke Nukem Forever been rated by the ESRB?
    A: The game has been rated M (Mature) by the ESRB (Entertainment Software Ratings Board). The PEGI (Pan-European Game Information) group has rated the game 18. For any other ratings, please check your local ratings system.

2. Q: I put in my code from Borderlands GOTY edition, and I’m not marked in the Club? What’s with that?
    A: We have a detailed post with what’s going on in case you run into problems. Click here for more info.

3. Q: What engine is Duke Nukem Forever running off of?
    A: Duke Nukem Forever is being developed off an engine that is built to meet the gameplay needs of a Duke Nukem title. All of the major systems such as rendering and animation are custom built. Our developers are focused on making the best game possible, not promoting an engine.

4. Q: If Gearbox is releasing Duke Nukem Forever, what's the deal with the companies named Triptych & Piranha?
    A: Triptych is a company made up of former 3DR staffers that continued to work on Duke Nukem Forever post "Fall of 3DR" on their own. It was during that time that Gearbox got involved as well. Triptych is now in the Gearbox offices and connected directly with our development infrastructure. Piranha is a Gearbox partner who is helping out with the PS3 & 360 compatibility as well as with the multiplayer for Duke Nukem Forever.

5. Q: How long is the game?
    A: Randy Pitchford has said in recent interviews that the single player campaign will be "3 times the size of Modern Warfare 2". In addition to the lengthy single player campaign there will be multiplayer.

6. Q: Are the user editors and mapping tools going to be released with the game?
    A: Mod tools aren’t currently included with the game.

7. Q: Is it being distributed on Steam?
    A: Yes. Confirmation and discussion is here. It can be ordered here.

8. Q: Is this available on the Mac?
    A: On June 27th, it was announced that Duke Nukem Forever will come to Mac OS, releasing in August. You can read the announcement here.

9. Q: What about Linux?
    A: There is no information available about a Linux release of the game.

10. Q: What are the system requirements for Duke Nukem Forever?
    A: Well, there aren't any for the PS3 or 360 version. For the PC version, you can read the requirements and discuss them in this thread.

11. Q: What Digital Rights Management does the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever use?
    A: Duke Nukem Forever uses Steamworks. For more details on Steamworks and DNF, please read this thread.

12. Q: I live in Germany, is the game censored for me like a lot of games are?
    A: It was announced on Mar 2, 2011 that the German ratings board gave the game an 18 rating, as well as having no cuts or edits of any kind! For more on this, click here.

13. Q: I live in Australia, will the game be censored for me like a lot of games are?
    A: The Australian Classification Board has rated Duke Nukem Forever MA 15+ with no edits or cuts. For more on this, click here.

14. Q: What about North America and the United Kingdom? Will the game be censored there?
    A: Don't worry! Duke Nukem Forever will be uncut and uncensored in North America and the United Kingdom.

15. Q: Will there be any sort of update to the dedicated server component to multiplayer?
    A: There is an active task thread amongst the devs to see what they can do to update and improve upon the dedicated server functionality. It is not a supported feature like we acknowledged in the beginning but they are still looking into what they can do regarding this tool as many have asked for some additional tools / functionality. We will let you guys know once we know some more finalized details if possible.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; June 27th, 2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old January 25th, 2011, 12:22 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
Joe Siegler

Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever FAQ - Read this before posting!

Duke Nukem Forever Support

If you need help regarding Duke Nukem Forever, please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket. Answers to some of the most common inquires can be found below.
  • I have a First Access Club code. How do I get the Duke Nukem Forever demo?

Please visit www.dukenukemforever.com/access and follow the on-screen instructions to register an account using your First Access Club code. Once your account is created, you will be able to select your platform and then obtain the necessary download code and instructions.

• I didn’t get a First Access Club code with my Duke Nukem Forever preorder. How do I get one?

You would need to contact your specific retailer about that issue. At this point, the only way to get a code is with a new copy of Borderlands Game of the Year Edition.[/url]

If you preordered Duke Nukem Forever via one of these retailers and did not receive a code, please contact your retailer and ask for one. If you have already contacted your retailer, please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket and include an image of your receipt.

• I forgot my First Access Club code! How do I get it back?

Please visit www.dukenukemforever.com/access and use the “Lost Your Credentials?” link to retrieve your account information. For additional assistance, please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket

If you have entered your code correctly following the above guidelines, please contact Customer Support by opening a help ticket. Please be sure to include your account name and demo code as well as the country where you reside.

• My First Access Club code isn't working. What do I do?

Please ensure you are entering the correct code and e-mail address. For additional assistance, please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket.

• My Duke Nukem Forever demo code isn't working!

Duke Nukem Forever demo codes only work in the region associated with your platform. Please be sure you are using an account from the same region where you received your code.

Demo codes also only work once: They cannot be associated with more than one user account on any platform.

• What do I do if I chose the wrong platform for the Duke Nukem Forever demo?

First Access Club members can only receive one code for the Duke Nukem Forever demo. They are one-time use codes and cannot be exchanged.

• The First Access Club site says the demo will not be available on my preferred platform in my country. How do I get the demo?

Platform availability and eligibility is subject to local laws and regulations. Users that currently live in a territory where the demo may not be supported on console will automatically be defaulted to the PC option. If you feel this message is in error, please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket

• I need to change the email address linked to my First Access Club account.

Please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket and we'll get your email address changed. Please be sure to include your First Access Club code and the email address that is currently associated with that code.

• I can't link my First Access Club membership with my Gearbox Software Forums account.

Please visit support.2k.com and click "SUBMIT A REQUEST" to file a help ticket. Please be sure to include your First Access Club code and email associated with your account as well as your Gearbox forum name so we can find you in the system.

Last edited by Joe Siegler; June 17th, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 06:55 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #3
Joe Siegler

Updated the FAQ to include questions about the Balls of Steel edition, which you can read about here.
Old February 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #4
Joe Siegler

Updated the FAQ with some issues regarding pre-orders and pre-order incentives.
Old February 15th, 2011, 03:19 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #5
Joe Siegler

Updated with Steam info.
Old March 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #6
AdamF
GBX PR & Marketing

Updated with Art book size and Bust Size for BoSE.

Follow us on Twitter & Facebook!

My Twitter @PezRadar | Gearbox Software
Gearbox Software | Borderlands | Aliens: Colonial Marines | Duke Nukem
Old May 3rd, 2011, 09:02 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #7
Joe Siegler

Default Re: Duke Nukem Forever FAQ - READ BEFORE POSTING!

Updated with the PC System Requirements.
Old May 13th, 2011, 07:28 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
Joe Siegler

Added some links to the pre-order page on Steam.
Old June 17th, 2011, 05:29 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #9
Joe Siegler

Several changes today:
  • Replaced the pre-order section with a section on how to order.
  • Reworded/reworked all the questions pertaining to the Balls of Steel edition. Also added info on how many total copies of the BoS editon were made.
  • Added a totally new section on DLC.
  • Tweaked several of the questions in the "General" section, as the game is out now.
  • Added an issue about dedicated servers.
  • Reworded a few of the "Tech Support" questions relating to FAC issues as the game is out now.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:47 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
Joe Siegler

Updated the FAQ to cover the just announced release on Mac OS X.
Closed Thread