The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Duke Nukem Forever > Other Duke Topics

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old May 27th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Sean122383
First Access Club Member

Default Everyone Must Play Duke 3D Online Every Night to Prepare for DNF!

In a very short period of time, Duke Nukem Forever will be bursting onto our monitors, ready for action. What are you doing to prepare? Have you played and re-played all of Dukeís previous games? Have you been playing Duke Nukem 3D online?

Itís very sad how few people are playing Duke Nukem 3D online. Itís actually not that hard to do. There should be hundreds of you playing the game very frequently. Prove that you are a worthy and true Duke fan.

Thereís no excuse not to be playing Duke Nukem 3D online every single night between now and the release of Duke Nukem Forever! If youíve already played Duke 3D online in recent months or years, PLEASE start using YANG again to play. Some days are way too dead. Some nights we actually have enough people to play an 8 person game, but it would be cool to have 10+ rooms of 8 people. Thereís no excuse not to play Duke 3D online. If you havenít yet played it online, read the belowÖ if you have, we hope to see you online again!

To play Duke Nukem 3D online, you need the Duke3D group file, XDuke or EDuke32, and YANG or Meltdown. A good starting point for all this stuff is here:
http://www.dukematches.net/duke

ESSENTIAL LINKS
Duke 3D on GOG: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/duke_...atomic_edition
EDuke32 (the best port, must use 2009 version): http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/o...t_20090313.zip
(Your game should say July 1, 2009 at the title screen).
High Resolution Pack: http://hrp.duke4.net/
xduke (classic graphics): http://vision.gel.ulaval.ca/~klein/duke3d/
YANG: http://yang-online.com/
Meltdown: http://duke3d.org/Duke%20Files/Meltdown.zip
Podaís Duke 3D Site (for actual multiplayer gameplay footage): http://duke3d.org/forum/

You can get your Duke Nukem 3D group file from your Atomic Edition CD (which you still have if you are really awesome), or from your Good Old Games download of the game. If you donít have either, you can get the Atomic Edition for only $6 at GOG: http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/duke_...atomic_edition

After you have the Duke 3D group file, download either xduke, or EDuke32, or both. (Awesome people have both). It may be a good idea to use SEPARATE game folders for each port (xduke and eduke32). The con files are not necessary, as they are contained in the group file.

Xduke, Eduke, whatís the difference? Both ports are neither your face, nor your ass. Xduke is what most people play on, uses the classic graphics, and feels the most like the original Dos classic. EDuke32 allows you to use the High Resolution Pack and is also the only way to play the capture the flag mode (called Duke Tag in Duke 3D, and Capture the Babe in DNF). However, you need to download and use the 2009 version of EDuke to have it work, NOT the latest release of EDuke which has major stability issues and lag when played online. EDuke also requires a remotely decent computer for a good framerate, so if youíre running a 286 with 1 MB of RAM, Dos, and a 14.4 dial-up modem, you might want to go with xduke. There are a few other Duke 3D ports, but I havenít played around with them that much. However, the HRP is OPTIONAL, so you CAN play EDuke32 with the classic graphics and feel, and remember, this is the ONLY way to play Duke Tag (and prepare for Capture the Babe).

Next is the netplay guider. Most people play on YANG, but some play on Meltdown as well. Thereís always a debate about which one works better, but they both work. The fact is though, that more people play on YANG. After installing, you need to configure your source ports so that they point to your gameís directory for xduke or eduke. Some players also need to login to their router and forward their port to host or play Duke 3D online. To do so, go to http://www.routerlogin.net and look for Port Forwarding. To check your IP, go to a command prompt window and type in ipconfig. Check the number under IPv4 Address and make sure this IP number is forwarded by your router. Some players donít need to do this. Some even need to reset their router each time they play, or after restarting their computer. Most donít need to do anything.

The next step is to play games! Thereís a core community of us that play quite a bit on YANG, but weíd like to see more Duke players, especially since DNF is only about 17 days away at the time of this writing. I want to see more Duke players on YANG every night!

Reply with any questions you may have, or just join one of our YANG rooms and ask them there.
Sean122383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Lokomotiv
Its as easy as 1.2.3

Default Re: Everyone Must Play Duke 3D Online Every Night to Prepare for DNF!

Hey man, many aussies play? I want to but im not doin all that to be playin on 400ms
Lokomotiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Fuel81

Been playing every night on Yang... and getting my ass kicked.

Adding to the info Sean has given:
To host you'll need to forward port 8501 and you may just want to forward 23513 to be sure you'll be able to join a server and play. 99% of the community uses the Duke3D Atomic v1.5 GRP (you need the same version to play). Most people use xDuke but if you create a eDuke game, I'll surely be joining
Quote:
Hey man, many aussies play? I want to but im not doin all that to be playin on 400ms
There is usually an Aussie or 2 in just about every game.

Last edited by Fuel81; May 27th, 2011 at 03:34 PM.
Fuel81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Gideon Nine
First Access Club Member

I need not prove anything to anyone. I dont really care to play Duke 3D online... Hell, I probably won't play Duke forever online much at all.

Thanks for the guide though! I was having an issue with the whole Duke32 thing. Ill try some of your tips out.

Good luck with your recruitment.

Last edited by Gideon Nine; May 27th, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Gideon Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:13 AM   #5
evilronnie42
GOD MODE ACTIVATED!

Good point, tonight it's Duke 3D time. Got my forever ticket so will be playing till the Forever demo is out.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:31 AM   #6
The Dukenator
Ready for action!

I have Duke3D, got it from 3D Realms store last Sept. But don't plan to play any mp as I would suck at it.
Old June 1st, 2011, 09:55 AM   #7
Grind and Click

The one thing ill say for Brown shooters and games like Bad Company is at least its more of a game with breathing room, playing these older styled games online is technically fun if your with friends, but against the omni-pros your going to come up against filling every server, it just turns into micromanaging a sprite and its location in relation to weapons and health against players who never miss a shot. Instead of exploring and sneaking about with whatever you happen to find.
Grind and Click is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
BloodWolf806
3DRealms Vet

I've been co-oping it with 3-4 of my buddies on XBLA every night.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:38 PM   #9
eisnerguy1
First Access Club Member

I've got a DOS Atomic Edition game all set up in YANG. It's the NeoGAF room. Shoot me a PM for the password. Never played DukeMatch before and I wanted to try out the true retro way
eisnerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM   #10
hollenthon420
First Access Club Member

dammit I wish I saw this post sooner.. I bough atomic edition and manathan from gog lik 4 days ago and I wanted to do it in coop so bad if anyone interested post here.. gotta go get some sleep for now