The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Brothers in Arms > BiA General Discussion

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

Send a message via MSN to Pooky
Default Planning a new map for EIB.. and I need your help

Hey guys, as things will probably come to a conclusion for my HH map within the next few weeks, I already wanted to start planning on a potential new SP map for EIB.

Here's where you guys come in. I want you to write out a situation/story of what you would like to play. I'm thinking of situations like the attack on the horse convoy in the second episode of band of brothers;

I'm going to create a new D-day landing map, which will take place during the night - a longer map than the ones in RTH30 and EIB, and I'm looking for some good ideas.

With the help of you guys I can create a series of objectives to be a part of the map's mission. Thanks for your help, and let your imagination run wild (but not too wild ofcourse, I'm not making a furious 4 game here )

Update discussion of the unofficial BIA SDK. Last update: 1 June 2014
Pooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:18 PM   #2
JoeHeartstack
First Access Club Member

Default Re: Planning a new map for EIB.. and I need your help

Lol, I'll try not to run too wild. Well perhaps it flies in the face of what really went down, but I think it'd be nice to take out some mortar teams. Just one or two. The Germans may not have been prepared or had time to react with mortars, but it would make a nice level. I think it would be great if we did a Bulge Sp map. Use all the awesome feed back from people and make a expansion pack worthy mod. I remember playing Foy(modded) multi-player in Call of Duty 2 and the level was great.
JoeHeartstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

Sorry to disappoint JoeHeartstack, but I'm just focusing on new maps, not new models and textures, I can't create those.. Also, I'm really excited about creating a D-Day level, I'm always in awe of what happened on that day.

Old June 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM   #4
BlenderisedMind

Dude I'm totally into the idea of a D-day level. Especially a night one. Are you planning on an open field or a rural area or both combined?
BlenderisedMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:13 AM   #5
kamehouse
Gott,Ehre,Vaterland

Bocage is all you need to give your map a Normandy feel.

Kleinigkeiten machen die vollkommenheit aus.
Aber vollkommenheit ist keine kleinigkeit.
kamehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:00 AM   #6
Pooky
find me a shrubbery!

BlenderisedMind, there are no concrete plans yet.. But it is possible that there will be combinations of fields and streets / buildings.

Old June 14th, 2011, 02:34 AM   #7
Rendroc
Goddamn BiA Mod Fairy

Also, is there anyone with some knowledge of the German Wermacht command structure that can help with some more detailed information on names, ranks, and abbreviations?

For example, RtH30 has these German unit names:
  • 709th Infanterie Division
  • 91st Infanterie Division
  • 6th Fallschirmjäger Regiment
  • 17th SS-Panzer Grenadier Division

But Baker's is listed as "Sgt. Matt Baker - 3rd Plt, Fox, 502 PIR", listing his rank, name, platoon and company.

Do any of you know what a more detailed, authentic German notation for an equivalent Feldwebel in one of the above listed divisions would be? The name is unimportant but the rank, platoon, company, and division are, and their abbreviations. The translations I get from Google for "Squad Platoon Company" are "Kader Zug Firma" but even though I don't know German, I bet that last one is way off the mark.

Or, if you know any forums of re-enactors that might know the answer, that would be helpful, too. Thanks!

Rendroc's BiA Mods: New Commands, Enhanced AI, More Soldiers, Multiplayer Bots, Hollywood FX, and More | Download

Last edited by Rendroc; June 14th, 2011 at 03:12 AM.
Rendroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 06:31 AM   #8
Wintahs
The Flemming

Try Kamehouse.
Wintahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #9
PfcObrieski
Death to fascism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendroc View Post
Also, is there anyone with some knowledge of the German Wermacht command structure that can help with some more detailed information on names, ranks, and abbreviations?

For example, RtH30 has these German unit names:
  • 709th Infanterie Division
  • 91st Infanterie Division
  • 6th Fallschirmjäger Regiment
  • 17th SS-Panzer Grenadier Division

But Baker's is listed as "Sgt. Matt Baker - 3rd Plt, Fox, 502 PIR", listing his rank, name, platoon and company.

Do any of you know what a more detailed, authentic German notation for an equivalent Feldwebel in one of the above listed divisions would be? The name is unimportant but the rank, platoon, company, and division are, and their abbreviations. The translations I get from Google for "Squad Platoon Company" are "Kader Zug Firma" but even though I don't know German, I bet that last one is way off the mark.

Or, if you know any forums of re-enactors that might know the answer, that would be helpful, too. Thanks!
Kader originally meant military squad but today is used for educated or qualified leaders in politics. Zug is platoon, but Firma means business company !

"Seems like the BL forum needs some good ol' fashioned ethnic cleansing. Well, maybe not ethnic, but it does appear to be in dire need of a good rinse. " - MickityMike

"My money says you're not man enough to actually cut your junk - prove me wrong?" - MickityMike
PfcObrieski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 08:01 AM   #10
jmoney1

I like the Idea of a D-Day map, hey if you can, try to make it take place AFTER the first dday mission in EIB, after the guys link up with Cassidy, Then they can go on patrol and take out a convoy. I also hope that you would be able to include more planes in the air, and more tracer bullets and crashing planes. Perhaps even parachuttes from guys falling from the sky. It was chaos on that night. Great news Pooky. Of course there will need to be more US troops, Rendrocs Warzone mod did a great job of adding more troops into teh battle.
jmoney1 is offline   Reply With Quote