The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM   #1
kingcole225

Default BL2 Bosses

Bosses need a makeover. In the main game of Borderlands bosses were very anticlimactic and gave little loot, which, admittedly, Gearbox sort of recognized and provided much bigger and better loot for main bosses in DLC. However it did not really solve the anticlimactic problem, you never felt like you were really doing anything besides getting more loot. Why? Because they were too easy to get to and had almost nothing to do with the main story. Scagzilla? Rakk Hive? Krom? Mad Mel? Nine Toes? Baron Flynt? These guys were obscure and lame. Let's look at how Diablo, the epitomy of good boss runs, differs: Andariel, Duriel, Mephisto, Diablo, Ba'al. From the beginning of each act you knew that these bosses were the goal, which made it all the scarier. You went up to Andariel knowing that there was going to be a major fight and that you would need multiple people in order to fight her because she was the creator of all evil here. I suggest we add major bosses for the end of each area who are first of all constantly mentioned from the moment you enter the area as the main evil, and second of all much more dangerous and need serious planning before the fight.

The second problem with bosses is that they are too easy to find: Nine Toes, Bone Head, Scagzilla, Mothrakk, Mad Mel, Rakk Hive, Crawmerax. These are pretty much all the bosses who you pretty much dont have to fight ANYONE else to defeat. This isn't even mentioning the rest of the bosses who take about 15 minutes to find. Major bosses in Diablo took around 45 minutes to an hour just to get to through the maze of dungeons, making them so intimidating. A boss needs to be something you are afraid of, regardless of how funny his name is.
kingcole225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Teh Putrifier
Poor guy has Torguettes

Default Re: BL2 Bosses

Please post this here: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...d.php?t=128427
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:28 AM   #3
kingcole225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Putrifier View Post
No this deserves more attention than a mere comment on a thread, and differs from your argument.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Teh Putrifier
Poor guy has Torguettes

^ Not different at all, my thread is about the same thing, defeating large dungeons of enemies and bosses for a great reward.

EDIT: I'm not trying to kill your thread, just wanted your opinion in my thread
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
kingcole225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Putrifier View Post
^ Not different at all, my thread is about the same thing, defeating large dungeons of enemies and bosses for a great reward.
You are talking about what should give more loot, I'm talking about how to change bosses so that they are more interesting. They are intertwined, yet different, and besides I had already posted in your thread.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

I think baron flynt/comander steele is a good example of the bosses in borderlands 2 should be handled.

We know of them before we fight them, we get a taste of how they act, their personality, and interaction before we kill them.

All the charcters in BL 1 had funny and intersting personalities, we just need to show them more.

Guns I want/willing to trade for: Level 65 or above Patton, Nailer, Sentinel, T.K.s wave, Leviathan, Lady finger, Blister, Elephant gun, Dove-hornet hybrid, The spy (body 5, vector acc)
Ned's SMG, level 68 max stats Wee wee's super booster
Jabberwock xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #7
kingcole225

Default Cool idea for BL2 end boss

What if at the end of the game you are confronted by the one of the 4 main characters from the first game (if playing coop, you are confronted with as many enemies as people), and you have to fight each other for the end loot?
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Teh Putrifier
Poor guy has Torguettes

I think the only challenging bosses in the first game were skagzilla, knoxx and crawmerax, every other boss was just a matter of stacking DOT for a minute or two, while these three bosses had you on your toes for a good amount of time.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Teh Putrifier
Poor guy has Torguettes

Default Re: Cool idea for BL2 end boss

I like this but maybe not endgame sequence worthy. A similar thing is like one of the near endgame events of farcry 2 (FARCRY 2 SPOILERS) where your old friends suddenly turn on you so they can use the diamonds to escape africa before the exodus.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Smellywhitestain

Default Re: Cool idea for BL2 end boss

i dont think that would be a good idea cos then you've already spoiled it
Smellywhitestain is offline   Reply With Quote