The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #1
HanzBejinker
banned

Default Willing to make a sacrifice?

This idea came to me from that "BL2 End Game" thread. Just curious as to what you guys think about this. I think it's gambling done BL style. Anyways, here goes...

I'm thinking a really big, scary looking old temple that's linked to the Eridians and therefore has that look (Gladiator arena meets Eridian ruins is what I'm envisioning). The temple can only be accessed by those who are worthy (i.e. max level).

Inside the temple it is completely dark to start except for a small set of circular steps with an altar on top that is lit by those weird carvings you see in Eridian ruins (So it's light source is inside of itself). This would be in the centre of the room. You approach the altar and are asked to make a sacrifice to summon a deadly beast to do combat with.

Now here's the sketchy part, the sacrifice has to be a weapon. The more powerful and rare the weapon, the more powerful and rare the beast/beasts you summon will be (a summoning could result in more than one beast being summoned at a time) and the more powerful and rare the beasts you fight are, the better your chances of finding better loot once you have defeated them.

EDIT: mentalmars made a great suggestion on page 4 to use the cost system that already exists for weapons to evaluate their worth and I think that's the best solution I've read so far on how to deal with actually evaluating the weapons.

Once the sacrifice is made, the temple would shake violently and an epic boss battle score would start up. At the same time, the temple would come to life retracting the altar and stairs; placing a flat piece of ground with the temple's insignia on it; the battlefield would illuminate with the same effect the altar and stairs had; and the beast/beasts would spawn. I'm not sure how to throw this bit in, but making the battlefield change from battle to battle, or even mid-battle, could spice things up further. Also, since it's a sacrifice, win or lose the weapon you sacrificed is gone, FOREVER!

EDIT: Did some more thinking about this and these temples could be scattered across Borderlands. Each temple would have the mark of a certain weapon type and this would signify which weapon type they accept for sacrifices. So a SMG temple for SMG sacrifices, a Sniper Rifle temple for Sniper Rifle sacrifices, a Revolver temple for Revolver sacrifices, etc.

Last edited by HanzBejinker; April 8th, 2012 at 03:55 PM. Reason: I f***ed up :(
HanzBejinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #2
BobTheEnzyteGuy
YouDontWorkforGearbox!Ha!

Default Re: Willing to make a sacrifice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanzBejinker View Post
This idea came to me from that "BL2 End Game" thread. Just curious as to what you guys think about this. I think it's gambling done BL style. Anyways, here goes...

I'm thinking a really big, scary looking old temple that's linked to the Eridians and therefore has that look (Gladiator arena meets Eridian ruins is what I'm envisioning). The temple can only be accessed by those who are worthy (i.e. max level).

Inside the temple it is completely dark to start except for a small set of circular steps with an altar on top that is lit by those weird carvings you see in Eridian ruins (So it's light source is inside of itself). This would be in the centre of the room. You approach the altar and are asked to make a sacrifice to summon a deadly beast to do combat with.

Now here's the sketchy part, the sacrifice has to be a weapon. The more powerful and rare the weapon, the more powerful and rare the beast/beasts you summon will be (a summoning could result in more than one beast being summoned at a time) and the more powerful and rare the beasts you fight are, the better your chances of finding better loot once you have defeated them.

Once the sacrifice is made, the temple would shake violently and an epic boss battle score would start up. At the same time, the temple would come to life retracting the altar and stairs; placing a flat piece of ground with the temple's insignia on it; the battlefield would illuminate with the same effect the altar and stairs had; and the beast/beasts would spawn. I'm not sure how to throw this bit in, but making the battlefield change from battle to battle, or even mid-battle, could spice things up further. Also, since it's a sacrifice, win or lose the weapon you sacrificed is gone, FOREVER!
Meh, this sounds too much like a boss-fight in a Final Fantasy game.

"Is my package coming today? What time? Give me an ETA! What time did the delivery man clock in? Is he on the way, or did he take lunch? Is he going westbound on Palm Ave, or east? Is he turning onto Smith right now? Did he take the van or truck? What color is it? Oh oh oh is up the street now? Is he wearing a white or brown uniform? Throw me a bone! Lack of communication! GIVE ME DETAILS AND ETA DAMMIT!"

Sound familiar?
BobTheEnzyteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #3
ShadyCake
Humble Box Destructor

I actually think this is a pretty innovative idea. It would add another reason to look for rare weapons other than selling it. It might be interesting to see the kind of variety with such a random boss encounter as with the guns: the head would have 6 or 7 variations as would the arms, tail, etc. It might not work due to the boss being generated by a variable of "power" or weapon damage. If this is strictly the case, people might start finding a reason to pick up rocket launchers. Kudos for the idea, Hanz.

[ITEC] Reaper: "On Behalf of the Torque Corporation, We refuse to degrade ourselves to fight in your immature arguments."
ShadyCake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #4
deathwings51
Occult + Demolition :D

I doubt how many people will be ready to part with their rare weapons unless they have more than one of the same type.

The idea is to fu*ck sh*t up on a level sh*t has not been fu*ked up before

deathwings51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:15 AM   #5
worldeater151
Chump Vault Hunter

That actually sounds awesome. I mean, if you lose the fight you might lose a high quality item, but you could also take a high quality item that has no value to you and end up with something worth using. I like it.

What if a mob spawned that used your sacrifice weapon, or had its elemental attributes and damage base in creature form, and another spawned for the weapon that was going to drop. both would have to be defeated to get the new loot. just a thought. I like your idea well enough without it.

EnzyteGuy is now on ignore for being ridiculously dismissive.
worldeater151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #6
watho
Dance Commander

Send a message via Skype™ to watho
Default I kinda LIKE IT

Or maybe you can just wager your guns in an arena. It's a bit easier to explain

But the idea over all is actually pretty cool.

I made another post, see ya in a few months.
watho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 03:19 AM   #7
bandit_king

i liked your idea very much.
bandit_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 06:01 AM   #8
Sir_Thxalot
'Splosions!

I rather like this idea. When my first character hit max level (a Brick), I had spent the whole game using only Revolvers and Shotguns. This resulted in pretty much any other weapon type being completely useless to me. This would make use of the multitude of rare guns I threw away because I really had no use for them.
Sir_Thxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:23 AM   #9
{FM}BBQ
Gearbox Loyalty Class-Mod

So you want us to "offer up our Stone of Jordan to the merchants" so we can "summon Diablo"?

Because thats what it sounds like. Which was the ONLY thing I thought was lame about Diablo II.

I heard they are going to nerf praying, might put a lock out timer on that. - Iceberg
{FM}BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #10
Xanorak

I find this a fantastic idea. It's great because it makes someone actually concerned for his success in defeating the boss, otherwise a great weapon is lost. It still sounds a little tough to implement, though, such as how to make the boss grow stronger based on the gun's rarity. It would suck to sacrifice an ultra-rare gun only to get a similar boss to a sub-par one.
Xanorak is offline   Reply With Quote