The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old March 26th, 2012, 08:44 AM   #41
Boo

Default Re: How the aliens actually make their hives....

I always thought they spit it on the walls
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #42
Thestig123x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberDemon13 View Post
You guys are joking...

They are constantly salivating, why is it such a strech to have them direct it at the walls? Plus, how many cases are there of insects here on Earth using their saliva to create nests and such? (It's a lot, so it isn't exactly an alien concept ).
Also, can someone please give me a blow by blow of a xeno rubbing its back against the wall to release its hive material. The more detail the better; I'm in need of a good laugh.
Lol, yes they are always salivating, but I dunno it just seems like it would take a long time to make a hive just by salivating, and they don't salivate in great amounts, thr basically just drooling. I'm sure thr must be a quicker and more efficient way. Which brings me back to the biomechanical look of the alien, its a born killer, a moving weapon, it looks as if it can adapt to any situation, it probably has some other trick up it sleeve which we haven't seen yet to create the resin.
Having said that I just remembered the scene from Aliens, whr just after the marines get thr butts kicked by the aliens for first time, they call back the drop ship to leave the planet, and just before it takes off that guy runs on the ship and gets his hand caught in that alien gunk. so It could probably be that they salivate as I don't think the xeno would have waited thr just to excrete a small amount of gunk from its tubes. It probably just dropped off its mouth as it clambered on the ship.
But I still like the dorsal tube idea over the salivating one, it explained more about the xeno that way, added more depth, and gave us a reason why those funny looking things were on it's back, rather then just being there to look cool. 😞
Thestig123x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #43
rcoltrane
It's All In The Reflexes

I think we would have to ask H.R. Giger himself about it. He's the only one who could provide such a plausible explanation for those tubes and how the resin walls are build.

rcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #44
Thestig123x

Yes that woulda been a good idea too lol
Go back to the man who actually designed the xeno...
He could probably come up with something plausible then anyone else
Old March 26th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #45
Boo

Maybe the hive grows by itself, maybe it starts as like a pile of alien spit stuff and then draws nutrients from the atmosphere and digests the chestbursted bodies
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2012, 04:22 AM   #46
Xhan
Box of Frogs BatCrackers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh0dan View Post
In one interview, I think it was Brian Cozzens, talked about how they chatted with ADI, who came up with the idea that the dorsal tubes were used to create the resin like material for hive building. So its sounds like GBX have taken that as the canonical way that xenos create the hive.

Personally I never really liked that idea. When I picture it, I visualise it and it looks kinda clumsy. I dunno, I kinda like the idea that the xeno has some hidden orifice, perhaps even small pores all over its body that sprays the stuff out like a mist which then sets in a gelatinous / brittle state.

In Cameron's original script he had the workers which he called Drones, they were the albino aliens only found in the Queens lair. Anyway they got cut from the film, but those guys were to be the hive builders, instead of an inner jaw they had a tube like stucco gun that came out of their mouths and squirted the resin. The warriors could also do that, basically their chest cavity opens up revealing a squirter. Least that is what is stated and implied on the Quadrilogy laser disk archive.

Alternatively, I quite like the idea (after watching the Prometheus trailer) that the stuff is alive, and self replicating. The infestation actually spreads by itself. Somewhat like this, but much slower, and not visible to the naked eye.

ADI didn't come up with dorsal ejectors.

Never confuse honesty for the truth.
Xhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #47
babalonkie
Aliens Freak

It was rumored and quite plausable that the dorsal tubes were either or both of the following, atmospherical filtering (to breath in hostile gases ect) or sensoring tubes (i bit like cats whiskers). Either way its not official explained however hinted at in Alien one is the the saliva is what is used to make the resin (you dont completly see it but its hinted), the alien in the escape ship dribbles and then smears it on the pipes (but you dont see it exchange from mouth to hand.)

babalonkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM   #48
FURY 161
____Genesis____

Send a message via ICQ to FURY 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo View Post
I always thought they spit it on the walls
Yea, kinda like a hornets nest, but then how does the hive get so big. I suggest that the enzyme the aliens produce actually grows by itself. Kinda like a living fungus tumor. Digesting the chestbursted bodies is pretty nasty. I like that.

Last edited by FURY 161; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
FURY 161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2012, 01:15 AM   #49
CyberDemon13
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

^I'll go with that! Me gusta
CyberDemon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2012, 07:40 AM   #50
Thestig123x

http://www.officialplaystationmagazi...fect-3-ending/

NOOOOOOOOO lol
i guess we won't be seeing any answers to all these mysteries after all.
Personally, I'm dissapointed, but ill have to respect their wishes, as this guy said it 'Don't break it'