The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:15 AM   #1
sadekOB

Default Split Screen Multiplayer (PS3)

So it's been mentioned that split screen multiplayer online is included, which is great and a lot of people are really excited for this!

However, regarding the split screen multiplayer on ps3, will the second player be logged in simply as 'guest', carrying nothing over every time they play?

Or will ps3 players each be able to log in with their personal account? I assume the latter is available for xbox360 and hope it will be the same for ps3 users.
sadekOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Dwakel
Wub Wub Wub

Default Re: Split Screen Multiplayer (PS3)

Wasn't the log in in separate account feature added already to PS3? My brother and I have been playing with our own accounts for a year already.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #3
sadekOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwakel View Post
Wasn't the log in in separate account feature added already to PS3? My brother and I have been playing with our own accounts for a year already.
I'm not sure, I've never played borderlands 1 on ps3 if thats what you mean. But for games like MW3, the second player always logs in as 'guest', unless I'm doing something wrong.

Edit: just to clarify, I mean logging in online with 2 different accounts at the same time.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #4
Handsome Jack
The Villain

Closest thing I could find to an answer:
Quote:
Can a second player on local splitscreen be logged in to a separate PSN ID and gain Trophies and stats?
We’re looking into this as well, but right now the answer is no.
From here.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #5
sadekOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Jack View Post
Closest thing I could find to an answer:

From here.
Ahh ok, thanks a lot for the link. That's too bad, might have to consider going Xbox for BL2 instead. It's unfortunate considering it is a very possible feature present in a lot of recent games (Uncharted 3, Resistance 3... etc)
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #6
Lollybomb
chmod -R 755 *

I know it is possible for a game to do it, but it has to be entirely implemented by the developer. For example Media Molecule did it for Little Big Planet 1&2 by classifying save data as game data. The difference being that saves are only available to the account that owns them, while game data is available to all accounts. Any trophies that are earned by the second account are flagged for later award, and will be awarded next time they log in as the main player. It also has the effect of complicating save game backup, requiring that the player first export their save into a regular save game because game data cannot be copied to external devices. Restoring it also requires that the save be imported back in as the game will not load basic saves otherwise.

Thoroughly annoying, and honestly one of the things that Microsoft did better on with the 360.
Lollybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #7
topsykrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadekOB View Post
So it's been mentioned that split screen multiplayer online is included, which is great and a lot of people are really excited for this!

However, regarding the split screen multiplayer on ps3, will the second player be logged in simply as 'guest', carrying nothing over every time they play?

Or will ps3 players each be able to log in with their personal account? I assume the latter is available for xbox360 and hope it will be the same for ps3 users.
a second player can log into their own psn account or even the same psn account as first player. the only thing player 2 couldnt do was get trophies. they said they are trying to fix it so that 2 people playing split screen could each get the trophies but as of now player one is the only person to get trophies.

topsykrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #8
BobTheEnzyteGuy
YouDontWorkforGearbox!Ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadekOB View Post
present in a lot of recent games (Uncharted 3, Resistance 3... etc)
Well yeah, because those are Sony's flagship titles. I played a lot of split screen BL1 on my PS3, but you were not allowed to sign in under two different profiles.

I hypothesize that Sony is keeping this feature only for its own titles, not for third-party games.

"Is my package coming today? What time? Give me an ETA! What time did the delivery man clock in? Is he on the way, or did he take lunch? Is he going westbound on Palm Ave, or east? Is he turning onto Smith right now? Did he take the van or truck? What color is it? Oh oh oh is up the street now? Is he wearing a white or brown uniform? Throw me a bone! Lack of communication! GIVE ME DETAILS AND ETA DAMMIT!"

Sound familiar?
BobTheEnzyteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #9
topsykrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheEnzyteGuy View Post
Well yeah, because those are Sony's flagship titles. I played a lot of split screen BL1 on my PS3, but you were not allowed to sign in under two different profiles.

I hypothesize that Sony is keeping this feature only for its own titles, not for third-party games.
are you talking about player 1 and player 2 being signed into psn or player 1 playing and player 2 is known as "player1 guest"? because i could have my friend play as his character on his account on my ps3 while i was as well. he just didnt get any trophies.

topsykrett is offline   Reply With Quote