The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old June 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Solaris Wave

Arrow Aliens: The Board Game (Flash based conversion)

I happened to find this today while searching for something else. It is a Flash based browser game that is based on the Aliens board game. The Flash game has been out for a few years and I never knew of it before so this may be old news to you. I must also confess that I had never heard of the actual board game before. I didn't know such a game existed.

It is hard. Actually, that is an understatement. Some of that is down to poor game balancing such as how Aliens can appear right on top of you sometimes (although that happens in the movie), and the 30mm grenades have a massive radius which somehow damages your marines many spaces away.

There are only three missions and they follow the film. Therefore, you'll find several of your marines have only got pistols in the first mission (as they had to give up their 10mm magazines). The pistols are pretty poor so it is just as well that there are some efficient flamethrowers available. Drake and Vasquez have their Smart Guns and Hicks can use his shotgun.

Any marines that survive the first mission carry over to the second.

As I said it is hard and some gameplay decisions limit enjoyment but I nevertheless found myself having fun trying to get my marines back to the APC. The music and sound effects also help. The last game I played, Apone, Crowe and Wierzbowski survived. Apone also had to carry an incapacitated Hudson, who was then available for the second mission.

It's free to play and is on the Newsgrounds website here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816

If you find the game looking too dark you can alter the brightness when the mission starts. If you move the pointer to the top right of the game window, a drop down panel appears.

Last edited by Solaris Wave; June 21st, 2012 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Found the Options panel
Solaris Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
Sh0dan
Immortal Machine

Default Re: Aliens: The Board Game (Flash based conversion)

I've had this bookmarked for a few years now. I often play it when I don't have anything better to do. Its hard but a great little game that manages to capture the ALIENS vibe pretty well. Shame the creator couldn't add the expansion packs. Would have been great to get more levels.

I wish I could get it on my android phone.
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:46 AM   #3
Versinity
We are GOLD!

This game is fun. Thanks for sharing!
Old June 21st, 2012, 11:53 AM   #4
Solaris Wave

I wish I could modify the accuracy of the weapons and the grenade blast radius, if nothing else!

I just played a very risky first mission. The Aliens were coming from all directions. I had flamethrowers moving to the front while Drake and Vasquez, who were on point when the mission started, were now fighting rearguard. My guys with the pistols were getting some lucky shots and it was all looking good. Then it started to go south as Drake and Vas started missing their targets. That meant I had to fire again instead of moving them. As the marines started boarding the APC, Vasquez got surrounded. She managed to throw off two Aliens and back away to shoot them. I then lost Apone due to acid splash. Frost got floored by a surprise attack and had to be carried by Hudson. Then Drake got attacked from above. He was incapacitated and nobody was close enough. Vasquez' luck ran out the next turn and she too got incapacitated. The only marines left were Crowe with his pistol, and Dietrich with the flamer. There were five Aliens in the area and there was no way anybody could rescue Drake and Vas without going down as well. In the end I decided to just get the survivors to the APC.

Seeing as so many survived, I had plenty of marines for the second mission (Operations). This time there were Pulse Rifles to use as well as one flamethrower. I thought I would have a good chance of holding out until they needed to retreat to the medical bay.

It was a royal balls-up. Despite aiming a grenade right at the very back of the room and my marines as far away as possible, the blast wounded two and knocked down another. I decided to leave the grenade launchers well alone and thought that my increased number of marines would handle the enemy. The problem was that everybody kept missing, even when there were not unreasonable 80% hit chances. Dietrich missed every single time. Even Frost somehow missed with the flamer. There were now too many Aliens. One dropped through the ceiling, casually strolled up to Frost and killed him in one swipe. Then Hicks was dropped from acid spray. I also had the problem of congestion. Nobody was allowed to move anywhere near the medical door until the right game Turn. The marines with the welders were caught on the other side of a wall and there were other marines in the way who were busy trying to hit something.

In the end I lost four more marines in one turn and then lost everybody but Ripley and Newt the following turn. All because of the damn accuracy. It needs to be about 10-20% higher for each weapon. I wasn't playing badly. It was all down to (bad) luck.
Old June 21st, 2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Sh0dan
Immortal Machine

Tip: Don't use the Grenade Launcher in OPs until most of your marines are down that corridor to the right. Then any marine with a GL at the top of that corridor can blast em off at the back of the room without taking damage.

Here's my old score, when I got Hudson to rescue Newt and survive.

I was doing so well up until the AP lvl3 and then my remaining marines just got annihilated.

Last edited by Sh0dan; June 21st, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Sh0dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 02:16 PM   #6
Versinity
We are GOLD!

I suck at this game. I sincerely hope that A:CM will have these soundtracks in it.
Old June 21st, 2012, 05:06 PM   #7
Solaris Wave

The audio really does add to it, thanks to the samples. I've always liked the action music to Aliens. As much as I like the soundtrack to AvP 3/2010, I'd like to play two of the tracks on the Alien soundtrack when playing that game's Survival mode.

Because this Flash game is so difficult and the outcome of any of your marines is completely random, I share the tension of my squad. It isn't always possible to create tension in a turn-based game such as this one but it is definitely there. I could get frustrated with it (something I easily do when I feel a game isn't balanced) but I found myself not minding the difficulty. At least on the first mission that is. Hearing the music playing as the marines make their way to the APC creates the momentum. I even found myself recalling Hudson saying, "We've got to go round!" because of the layout of the map in the upper left region. That and Hicks yelling, "Drake, we are leaving!", because Drake in my game was at the back of the squad and spending more time shooting at the Aliens than he was falling back.

Old June 21st, 2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Whydoesnt_hefreezehim
PTFO - Peel The F* Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris Wave View Post
I happened to find this today while searching for something else. It is a Flash based browser game that is based on the Aliens board game. The Flash game has been out for a few years and I never knew of it before so this may be old news to you. I must also confess that I had never heard of the actual board game before. I didn't know such a game existed.

It is hard. Actually, that is an understatement. Some of that is down to poor game balancing such as how Aliens can appear right on top of you sometimes (although that happens in the movie), and the 30mm grenades have a massive radius which somehow damages your marines many spaces away.

There are only three missions and they follow the film. Therefore, you'll find several of your marines have only got pistols in the first mission (as they had to give up their 10mm magazines). The pistols are pretty poor so it is just as well that there are some efficient flamethrowers available. Drake and Vasquez have their Smart Guns and Hicks can use his shotgun.

Any marines that survive the first mission carry over to the second.

As I said it is hard and some gameplay decisions limit enjoyment but I nevertheless found myself having fun trying to get my marines back to the APC. The music and sound effects also help. The last game I played, Apone, Crowe and Wierzbowski survived. Apone also had to carry an incapacitated Hudson, who was then available for the second mission.

It's free to play and is on the Newsgrounds website here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/408816

If you find the game looking too dark you can alter the brightness when the mission starts. If you move the pointer to the top right of the game window, a drop down panel appears.
Wow, thanks man! Having fun with this now

Whydoesnt_hefreezehim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2012, 06:31 PM   #9
Solaris Wave

I'm not sure if certain forum members here only frequent the General Discussion board but hopefully they see this game, if only to experience another slice of that movie experience in whatever way possible.

I very nearly posted this on the General Discussion board as that seems to be the most visited but even though this is Aliens, it isn't Aliens: Colonial Marines.

No, I'm not getting commission for this game. I was just pleasantly surprised at my discovery of it. I'm also completely astonished that this game has been out for a few years and I had never even discovered it (and I have been playing lots of Flash games on my netbook as I don't have a modern desktop gaming PC yet). I'm also amazed that I never even knew of the boardgame as that has been out a long time. I've been playing card games and tabletop games throughout the years (not so much the latter recently) and I would have thought I would have discovered it.
Old June 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM   #10
Raider65

Sh0dan posted this quite awhile ago.

I liked playing it. It really is harsh and shows the Xenos being tough adversaries.

Marines are taught aiming and shooting skills in Boot, with a week spent on marksmanship principles and at the live fire ranges. They should have better hit percentages. Maybe it's just the game's design and the way it rolls for the hits.
Raider65 is offline   Reply With Quote