The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Kreaven3165

Default "Could not Connect to Host"

Ok having problem. Me and my friends have Borderlands game of the year edition. We have been playing together for the last 2 days. We are each up to level 28. I exited out a few hours ago and DC'd him since I was hosting the game. After we each had some lunch we came back and started to get "Could Not Connect to Host". This has never happened to us so we are baffled. We have done a decent amount of trouble shooting and are now clueless as to what it could be.

We have opened all the ports suggested in another thread. I believe there are 5. Turned off Firewall and even turned the UpNp on. We still get the same message. We can also not join any Multiplayer games hosted by other players. Basically we can no longer join anything multiplayer lol. Any type of help would be appreciated.
Kreaven3165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 06:39 PM   #2
Masterjts

Default Re: "Could not Connect to Host"

I am having the same problem. I can only assume that the gamespy matchmaking servers are down. If you look in the public mp game list there are only about 10 games each with one person and none of them joinable.

I hope they can get this fixed soon. It isnt the first time it has happened and it is annoying. I cant wait for bl2 to come out and use the steam matchmaking services because gamespy is a POS.
Masterjts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:49 PM   #3
Fenric

I am having the same issue. I bought the game of the year version off Steam recently, and wanted to try playing online. I found someone that was livestreaming on twitch.tv, and they hosted a game for people to join. I saw the name they used and was able to find it in the public games list and played for a few hours without any issues. Then I got kicked out with a message saying I had lost connection to the host I think.

I checked the livestream and it was offline as well, so I figured he had just quit playing. Then I went to try and join other games and all I get is the could not connect to host.

After doing some searching I tried a lot of things, I opened the ports that were suggested, I assigned my pc a static IP and set the ports for virtual server in my router. Nothing worked. What is interesting is, another livestreamer added me to their friends list and could send me game invites, but I would still get the same error.

I found the program Game Ranger in one of my searches, and was able to connect to a online game to test it. I tried hosting a few times but no one joined, so I don't know if that is working.

Anyways, if it is an issue with the gamespy servers somewhere, is there anyway we can find out for sure?

Edit: Well I decided to try again after posting this. The first game I tried to join I got the same error message. The second one worked. much to my surprise. And the two I joined after that worked as well. So I don't know what to say.

Last edited by Fenric; July 23rd, 2012 at 12:08 AM.
Fenric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Nox the Skunk

I pretty much got the same problem, been playing with a friend for a few weeks, doing crawmerax runs daily now. BUt suddenly I cant connect to them or vice versa.
I have no Idea why that is, and I would appreciate help with this matter
Nox the Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Verall

3 friends and I have all been having this same problem, we just get a "Could not Connect to Host" error after a couple of seconds trying to join a game. Gamespy and Gearbox have seemed to have abandoned us as the more I look for a solution the more I see large forums with tons of people with the same problem and no hope for a solution. I should not have to install hamachi to play an online game online.

Please provide a solution, Gearbox.

Verall
Verall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Nox the Skunk

I thought i might update this a bit

Im not a pro with stuff like that, but it seems that every online game has only 1 player in it, meaning that everybody has these connection issues (or just a majority)

I dont know if its either gamespy's or Gearbox's fault, but my guess would be gamespy.
Nox the Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Cush1337
First Access Club Member

Getting this too. I spent 4 hours last night thinking it was my internet connection/router and changing stuff around trying to get it to work, then another 2 hours today trying everything I can think of.

Not all public games only have one person, I'm able to join some, but I have found that a lot of the ones with 3 slots open are actually empty. I found that I hosted a public game, quit borderlands then started it back up 5 mins later and I could see my own game still sitting in the list with 3 slots apparently open.

Me and my roommate could connect to each other's private games only after we both joined and exited a public game with players in it, but my girlfriend still couldnt connect to us even after trying that.

I have all the ports open and my computer DMZ'd, both windows and router firewalls disabled, no AV/protection running.

I hope that it is fixed, I got her to buy the GOTY edition so we could play through it together and its extremely frustrating that the game works but multiplayer doesnt.
Cush1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 04:32 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #8
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

We're working with GameSpy to get this resolved ASAP.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Cush1337
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
We're working with GameSpy to get this resolved ASAP.
Thanks for the update
Cush1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:45 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #10
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

It appears the issue with GameSpy has been resolved.

If you've left your copy of Borderlands running, go ahead and restart them give it another go.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote