The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:01 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #21
botman
GBX

Default Re: Will Borderlands 2 be coming with Steam to Linux?

Publishers, not developers are probably the ones who are going to have to push for Linux support for games (since they have to take care of the marketing, sales and after market tech support for the platform). Until publishers see games getting the same number of sales on Linux as they get on PC, I wouldn't expect to see a majority of games coming to Linux (since the cost spent on development for that platform has be recouped somewhere). Valve is somewhat unique because they are both developer and publisher.

I do find it interesting that developers that used to be strong Linux supporters (like id) don't seem to put forth that effort anymore.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Last edited by botman; February 28th, 2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: stupid autocorrect - thanks Shags
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #22
Shagsbeard
Resident Mathematician

No problem, Botman

Last edited by Shagsbeard; February 28th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
Shagsbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #23
The Creed
Oh boy!

It's kind of a waste of time to create a game for an operating system that an extreme minority use.
The Creed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 12:43 AM   #24
timothyja

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
I do find it interesting that developers that used to be strong Linux supporters (like id) don't seem to put forth that effort anymore.
id's linux efforts were half done at best. Providing an executable with no marketing and requiring you to buy the windows version anyway so no tracking of how may users are linux users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creed View Post
It's kind of a waste of time to create a game for an operating system that an extreme minority use.
The latests steam statistics are that over 2% of users are linux users. Not bad considering its just come out of beta. For comparison Mac is only 3%. So no its not a waste of time. Its a waste of money not to tap into such a growing market when a port cost so little to make.
timothyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Ultimoore
Linux Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
Publishers, not developers are probably the ones who are going to have to push for Linux support for games (since they have to take care of the marketing, sales and after market tech support for the platform). Until publishers see games getting the same number of sales on Linux as they get on PC, I wouldn't expect to see a majority of games coming to Linux (since the cost spent on development for that platform has be recouped somewhere). Valve is somewhat unique because they are both developer and publisher.

Adam from 2K games said to me in a email that they have no problem supporting Linux. Its Gearbox that should put fourth the effort to get them and help them support Linux. "Until publishers see games getting the same number of sales on Linux as they get on PC, I wouldn't expect to see a majority of games coming to Linux (since the cost spent on development for that platform has be recouped somewhere)." Why don't I just compare computer sales from China to the US and only sell a product in China because they give us better numbers, that is flawed logic. Its not like we as Linux gamers are asking to stop making games on windows. We are asking for a game has already been ported to Opengl on Mac to come to Linux.

"I do find it interesting that developers that used to be strong Linux supporters (like id) don't seem to put forth that effort anymore." Oh you mean how ID waited 4 years after their games were released to finally port it to Linux and they put no effort into the port and expect to make money and when they open sourced the engine to the Linux population it ran better then anything they did? Yeah weird why they would stop support.

1 month after coming out of beta and Linux is at 2.5% and still growing. Steam box will be Linux based. Game developers with less money than gearbox are bringing their games to Linux. Remember a company called Obsidian entertainment? Both of their kick starters are Linux supported out of the box. Kick starter, Humble Indie Bundle, Valve, Desura, Gameolith, Unity3d engine, Unigine and now Nvidia, Intel and AMD are trying to push out drivers for the latest and greatest video cards. Weird. Easy money on Linux because no licensing with M$ to use a graphics API not back door deals like a console. So when can we expect to see Boderlands 2 on Linux?

Last edited by Ultimoore; March 24th, 2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: misspelled a word
Ultimoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #26
Redi44

I just bought the game on Steam and since I'm mainly a Linux user I would like to add my vote for Linux native version too. You guys already have OS X support, so adding Linux is not THAT hard to do...

just my 2c...
Redi44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #27
Kitehighland
The Dahli Llama

Send a message via Skype™ to Kitehighland

All pc games could b written for linux and come with a free disc with ubuntu on- problem solved as everyone can then use them.
Old May 17th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #28
TehDoctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion puffa View Post
id ave thought we would hear about a mac osx version first or at the same time as we would hear of a linux version. id assume its a no at the moment but if they make bl2 for mac which will probably happen at some point, then maybe it might happen for linux too
i dont think it will though.
They already have a mac version of BL2, and it comes with the windows version on steam...
Source: I play it on my school macbook air that I hacked open.
TehDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 02:10 PM   #29
PLaNxA
Hold your ground. Forever

Send a message via AIM to PLaNxA

Linux version would be awesome, then I would not have to reboot into (or emulate) the other O/S to play!

Last edited by PLaNxA; May 17th, 2013 at 02:10 PM. Reason: !
PLaNxA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #30
Teodosio

A GNU/Linux version would be great. Having to reboot to windows just to play games is so depressing.
Teodosio is offline   Reply With Quote