The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #1
ViciousXUSMC

Question Multi-Monitor Support?

I would really like to get information on support for multi-monitor configurations in Borderlands 2.

I am an editor for the Widescreen Gaming Forum and would like to publicize the current status of support so that the community can know what to expect and purchase accordingly.

Our community came up with so many hacks/patches/fixes for Borderlands 1 to make it work, and it never ever fully worked right just due to how the game was (cut off weapon models, fov reset when running or getting in a vehicle)

I would like to reach out and see if the developers have taken notice of how popular the first game was and how many people were upset of the lack of support for this scenario. Thusly would take the effort to make sure this time in Borderlands 2 support is achieved.

As popular as this has been in the past it is only going to explode now that both Nvidia and AMD are releasing GPU's that support multi-monitor gaming from a single GPU unit and monitor prices have gone significantly down.

-ViciousXUSMC
https://www.wsgf.org/the_team

Last edited by ViciousXUSMC; September 14th, 2012 at 02:12 AM.
ViciousXUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #2
Kayden
First Access Club Member

Default Re: Multi-Monitor Support?

Even though I know I have heard from 3rd parties that they talked directly to Randy Pitchford and said Surround was officially supported and running on their NVIDIA hardware and NVIDIA has said on their GeForce website that Surround was supported. I haven't heard the words from Gearbox directly saying "Yes, Borderlands 2 fully supports NVIDIA's Surround 100%" This is what I want to hear because word of mouth is nice, but isn't perfect.
Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #3
ViciousXUSMC

We also want to make sure its not Nvidia exclusive, it should be implemented in a clean way that all that matters is the resolution & aspect ratios not the hardware running it.
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:10 AM   #4
bigdug13

How does AMD even compete? It seems like everything good about a game visually is Nvidia exclusive these days. Makes me wish I had sprung for the 680m card instead of the 7970m card.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:18 AM   #5
delphium
First Access Club Member

When Skid and I spoke with Randy in person at the Rezzed game event in the UK he did explain that they had taken into account for multiscreen gaming but had only tested this on Nvidia hardware, he expects it to work on AMD hardware too but could not confirm due to lack of hardware to test it on.

Sadly our interview had to be made brief and we where unable to get to the gritty details surrounding a centered hud.

I would hope that it is not nvidia surround bound and is open to working on other enviroments such as amd/matrox/softTH, and that a centered hud is applied.

I know it's not long to wait till release, and I even have my pre-order already, however it would be great if someone from Gearbox would be able to kindly shed some light on this topic with any information they can.

Many thanks.
Delphium - WSGF Admin

Last edited by delphium; September 14th, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
delphium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #6
ViciousXUSMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdug13 View Post
How does AMD even compete? It seems like everything good about a game visually is Nvidia exclusive these days. Makes me wish I had sprung for the 680m card instead of the 7970m card.
Nothing really is too exclusive between the brands, Nvidia pays to get sponsored by games and they have the phisix thing up their sleeve. Other than that its a matter of if they tried to do something greedy and force a company to make a feature exclusive to their hardware (and we will of course crack that)

AMD was way ahead in multi-monitor with eyefinity, just now with the GTX680 has Nvidia really started to compete. I would be happy with a 7970 or a GTX680. Def make sure to get one with 2GB+ VRAM though, right now my dual 5870 setup the 1GB is holding me back and the crossfire scaling on the 5000 series is not nearly as good as the 6000 and 7000 series.
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #7
AtlanteanIdol

Just registered here to show my support for this great feature!
AtlanteanIdol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #8
ARTIL3CT

I would also like to request confirmation that triple monitor Eyefinity configurations will be supported in Boarderlands 2. I was a big fan of the first Boarderlands but would have spent a lot more time with it if it supported 5760 x 1080 resolution out of the box.

If I'm able to get some type of guarantee from Gearbox prior to release I will be pre-ordering otherwise I'll likely wait for a fix from the community or not purchase at all due to the many other titles that are now supporting these configurations at initial release.
ARTIL3CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #9
Marikhen

I'd support multi-monitor capabilities if it provided more than just stretching the game window across two or three monitors as per the picture in the OP. While it looks neat I'd much rather have multiple monitors used in such a way that I can have the main game window open on my central monitor, the map on my top monitor, inventory on my right monitor, and if something else is important then have it on my left monitor.

I have four monitors with two running at 1440x900 off of an HD6870 and two at 1280x1024 off of a GTS 450 so the current depicited method of functioning would be less than ideal whereas breaking up useful and important game functions across multiple monitors would be great.
Marikhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #10
7tronic

Hi,

Also registered to show my interest in buying this game. Will do as soon as I know it supports eyefinity
7tronic is offline   Reply With Quote