The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Davelina

Default Best Maya Skill Tree

It looks like Maya is going to be extremely popular in Borderlands 2 due to her extremely versatile abilities. Some people have been going the haler route with harmony or maxing out thought-lock. Personally, I see Maya as having the highest damage potential excluding criticals, even surpassing Salvador. Below is the skill tree that I feel allows her to do the best dps:

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/sire...00005405010551

Now, I believe Maya's strengths will be in her ability to not necessarily sustain a phase-lock, but rather use her skill as often as possible. I feel that focusing on gun damage with Maya is a poor choice, and that making her phase lock as effective as possible will get her the massive AOE and DPS that will put her on top. As well, I intend to use nothing from Harmony, as it seems her healing abilities do not surpass those allowing her to do damage. Below is a rundown of what skills work best IMO.

Cataclysm:

Tier 1:

Flicker. Unfortunately, both of these options focus on usage of weapons, but stacking additional procs against enemies seems that it will be more devastating than just magazine size. 5/5

Foresight: Because a certain amount of points is required to unlock Reaper, I chose foresight for its usefulness in between phaselocks. I believe that melee has no true place on any character other than Zer0, so I find backdraft useless. I prefer not to choose skills that work only in Fight For Your Life, as I intend to never deplete my shields, as I will discuss later, so immolate is gone. Finally, because reloading less and faster means I will likely be able to cast phaselock as soon as it is available, I find it more useful than a chance of just doing gun damage on another enemy. As well, with flicker I can stack a few more procs before my next phaselock. 4/5

Tier 2:

Helios: As I discussed before, I find immolate useless, so Helios was the obvious choice, ignoring the fact it has the potential to be amazing. The ability to do this AOE damage will help alot with Maya's crowd control, and helps her ability to get dps from her phaselock rather than guns. 5/5

Tier 3:

Cloud Kill: While discussing foresight I explained why backdraft and chain reaction seem like a waste of points. Cloud kill, on the other hand, is much like helios, but based on just shooting an enemy. With helios and converge (which I will get to later), in between phaselocks it will be easy to effect many grouped enemies by just shooting one of them. This increases the elemental potency of Maya even further. 1/1

Tier 4:

Reaper: IMO, reaper is the only gun damage based skill worth getting, partially because it is necessary in the cataclysm tree, but mostly because it is just too powerful. The additional 40% damage will make it easier to finish procced enemies, and if the player is using a shotgun or a sniper rifle, (which I would strongly recommend a smg over, but to each his own), you are much more likely to kill with a single shot. 5/5

Tier 5:

Blight Phoenix: If this is anything like it was in BL1, with the massive corrosive and fire damage, Maya will become a walking, flaming biohazard that need not even shoot. Almost like having helios and cloud kill again, but in one skill. Killing a single weak enemy will grant Maya this amazing ability. 5/5

Tier 6:

Ruin: IMO, the only T6 worth getting. As if you weren't doing enough elemental damage, every time you phaselock something all nearby enemies will be affected by every environmental effect, stacking with other procs to virtually melt enemies on contact. In conjunction with quicken and converge, pure AOE damage will allow you to kill more enemies faster than any other character. 1/1

Motion:

Tier 1:

Ward: With the Cataclysm tree providing the DPS, I believe that boosting Maya's survivability will only make her better, and perhaps allow her to take the role of a secondary tank. Ideally, Maya will never have to lose her shields, and Ward will help a lot with that. The extra 25% is huge, especially late game, and with the faster Regen Maya doesn't need to take as much time to recover before spamming more enemies with all kinds of elements. Accelerate is a pure gun based skill, and honestly it will be useless with all of the elemental DPS Maya has. 5/5

Tier 2:

Kinetic Reflection: One the level cap is increased I will definitely consider investing in suspension, but as Maya's strength is in her ability to call cast phaselock many times, it is not nearly as important as Kinetic Reflection. This is perhaps the best skill to boost Maya's survivability and make her a tank. After killing an enemy, which with the cataclysm tree to T6 she is very good at, enemy bullets will only do half damage. As it does not specify that this only effects health damage, this means her shields will potentially be up almost twice as long, giving her plenty of time to kill enemies, or simply find time to Regen shield quickly as Ward allows. Already an amazing skill, adding the deflection of bullets makes it almost a necessary skill. When maxed out, every bullet will be deflected, and they will do full damage to enemies they hit. That means that while you are casting a phaselock, your enemies are simultaneously shooting themselves. 5/5

Tier 3:

Converge: The reason that motion is truly worthwhile. Maya does amazing AOE damage, and its potentially is maximized when your enemies are close together. Converge makes that easy. Furthermore, your friends will have a blast exploding masses of immobile enemies. 1/1

Inertia: To have enough points to unlock quicken, four more skill points must be expended in motion. As the non-chosen T1 and T2 skills are weak, it is between Fleet and Inertia. These T3 skills are based on shield, with Inertia being the more offensive of the two. Now, in terms of survivability, when you do happen to lose your shields you have a much better chance of running for cover to Regen and get back into battle. However, its usefulness can't match that of Inertia. By staying in battle Maya is rewarded with her ability to continually regenerate shield, potentially negating damage done to her. 4/5

Tier 4:

Quicken: Unfortunately, it is only possible to put four skill points in quicken. Its usefulness is somewhat obvious, as the more you cast in, the more elemental explosions of goo, acid, and fire your enemies get to enjoy. 4/5

All together, Maya seems like she will be perhaps the best DPS dealer, especially with her AOE attacks against smaller groups of enemies. With converge and the whole concept of phaselock, she is also very useful as a team player. Finally, by maintaining her shield by killing enemies, motion and cataclysm can go hand in hand, making Maya a secondary tank to Salvador.

Assuming that at some point they increase the level cap by 10, I would get inertia and quicken to 5/5, put 5 in sub sequence for pure devastating continual effects, and 3 in suspension.

Personally, I think using Maya as a healer takes away from her true abilities. While some skills in Harmony are useful, such as sweet release, res, and sustenance, it takes too many skill points for it to be worth it, without many good high tier skills. Cataclysm with secondary motion seems to be the best option for dps. I am not sure how Motion with secondary cataclysm would work, as thought lock is unclear as to exactly how it works, and it seems that dps would be lost. Theoretically, one could go secondary harmony with motion for strictly support and survivability, but unless you are playing with a full team you will be incapable of dealing out enough damage to stay alive. I would strongly recommend not mixing cataclysm and harmony, as it is the key skills in motion that will give Maya her prowess.

This is all speculation, and much of it is my opinion, but I think I have presented a reasonable argument. Please respond with feedback and your own skill trees, as we all await midnight tonight!
Davelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:27 PM   #2
Davelina

Default Re: Best Maya Skill Tree

bump
Davelina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #3
Hyperion88

My issue with the cata tree is the need for close-proximity to your targets and for them to be close to each other in order to really make the most of your effects. With a taunting Salvador or a bubble Axton, it could really be eye-poppingly powerful, getting convergence in Motion and some singularity grenades would be compulsory. I'd worry about her being too squishy and too situational when it came to highly mobile/melee centric enemy types like skags or stalkers.

But who knows, maybe having that strong an offence will just nullify the need to worry about defence when it comes to biters.

Personally, there was just too much synergistic utility in a combination Motion/Harmony for me to even consider Cataclysm.

Maya - Thoughtlocking nurse of elemental doom: http://bit.ly/RiMcyI
Hyperion88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 05:37 PM   #4
SunCe2112
You 'Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperion88 View Post
My issue with the cata tree is the need for close-proximity to your targets and for them to be close to each other in order to really make the most of your effects. With a taunting Salvador or a bubble Axton, it could really be eye-poppingly powerful, getting convergence in Motion and some singularity grenades would be compulsory. I'd worry about her being too squishy and too situational when it came to highly mobile/melee centric enemy types like skags or stalkers.

But who knows, maybe having that strong an offence will just nullify the need to worry about defence when it comes to biters.

Personally, there was just too much synergistic utility in a combination Motion/Harmony for me to even consider Cataclysm.
See, there's this little thing called Blight Phoenix, which sets melee mobs trying to eat you on fire. Cloudkill + Elemental weapons + increased elemental damage mod = you doing so much DOT on top of bullet damage that they die. Yeah Kinetic Reflection is useless with melee mobs. So what? I've got it covered in my build.
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:30 PM   #5
bigdug13

I personally would take Chain Reaction over Foresight to get to that fourth tier, but that's just me. With converge, you'll have everyone clumped together, allowing ricocheted bullets to rip them apart.

Outside of that difference, that's pretty much the exact Cata build I was looking into.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote