The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 19th, 2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Soul0Reaper

Talking Borderlands 2 config tweaks

So I've been playing around with the WillowEngine and here are some of the tweaks you can use that I believe have effect
Code:
[XAudio2.XAudio2Device]
MaxChannels=128
WorkAroundXDKRegression=TRUE - not actually sure if this has an effect as its for the Feb 2011 XDK apparently
If you want to change the audio to openal
Code:
AudioDeviceClass=XAudio2.XAudio2Device to AudioDeviceClass=ALAudio.ALAudioDevice
and then set
[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=128
Make sure to delete to also delete "Generic Software from
Code:
[ALAudio.AlDllWrapper]
DeviceName=Generic Software[
These are tweaks only if you have a sound card that supports it. I think audigy brands only support 64 channels.

As for SystemSettings, the lazyman method with the new unreal engine is to just set bUseMaxQualityMode to true. However in BL2 this enables a few unsupported shadowing features that cause black squares to appear in certain areas when you walk near them. Also the forced self shadow seems to be a block rather than your character's.
I'm just going to copy paste the entire config as at this point I'm not exactly sure what the default values are I'll make a cleaner list later. This should disable texture streaming as well as enable a few more eye candy effects like image reflections.
Code:
[SystemSettings]
bUseMaxQualityMode=False
StaticDecals=True
DynamicDecals=True
UnbatchedDecals=True
DecalCullDistanceScale=1.0
DynamicLights=True
DynamicShadows=True
LightEnvironmentShadows=True
CompositeDynamicLights=False
SHSecondaryLighting=True
DirectionalLightmaps=True
MotionBlur=False
MotionBlurPause=True
MotionBlurSkinning=1
DepthOfField=True
AmbientOcclusion=True
Bloom=True
bAllowLightShafts=True
Distortion=True
FilteredDistortion=True
DropParticleDistortion=False
bAllowDownsampledTranslucency=False
NVParticleDownsamplingThreshold=100.0
SpeedTreeLeaves=True
SpeedTreeFronds=True
OnlyStreamInTextures=False
LensFlares=True
FogVolumes=True
FloatingPointRenderTargets=True
OneFrameThreadLag=True
UseVsync=False
UpscaleScreenPercentage=True
Fullscreen=True
WindowedFullscreen=False
AllowD3D11=True
AllowOpenGL=False
AllowRadialBlur=True
AllowSubsurfaceScattering=True
AllowImageReflections=True
AllowImageReflectionShadowing=True
bAllowSeparateTranslucency=True
SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
ParticleLODBias=0
DetailMode=2
MaxDrawDistanceScale=1
ShadowFilterQualityBias=0
MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=4
bAllowD3D9MSAA=True
bAllowTemporalAA=True
TemporalAA_MinDepth=500
TemporalAA_StartDepthVelocityScale=100
FXAA=True
MinShadowResolution=2048
MinPreShadowResolution=128
MaxShadowResolution=2048
MaxWholeSceneDominantShadowResolution=2048
ShadowFadeResolution=1024
PreShadowFadeResolution=128
ShadowFadeExponent=.25
ResX=1920
ResY=1080
ScreenPercentage=100.000000
SceneCaptureStreamingMultiplier=1.000000
FoliageDrawRadiusMultiplier=1.0
ShadowTexelsPerPixel=1.27324
PreShadowResolutionFactor=.5
bEnableVSMShadows=True
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=True
bAllowHardwareShadowFiltering=True
TessellationFactorMultiplier=1.0
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True
bEnableForegroundSelfShadowing=True
bAllowWholeSceneDominantShadows=True
bUseConservativeShadowBounds=False
ShadowFilterRadius=2
SystemShadowDepthBias=.012
PerObjectShadowTransition=60
CSMSplitPenumbraScale=.5
CSMSplitSoftTransitionDistanceScale=4
CSMSplitDepthBiasScale=.5
CSMMinimumFOV=40
CSMFOVRoundFactor=4
UnbuiltWholeSceneDynamicShadowRadius=20000
UnbuiltNumWholeSceneDynamicShadowCascades=3
WholeSceneShadowUnbuiltInteractionThreshold=50
bAllowFracturedDamage=True
NumFracturedPartsScale=0.0
FractureDirectSpawnChanceScale=1.0
FractureRadialSpawnChanceScale=1.0
FractureCullDistanceScale=1.0
bForceCPUAccessToGPUSkinVerts=false
bDisableSkeletalInstanceWeights=false
HighPrecisionGBuffers=False
MobileFeatureLevel=0
MobileFog=True
MobileSpecular=True
MobileBumpOffset=True
MobileNormalMapping=True
MobileEnvMapping=True
MobileRimLighting=True
MobileColorBlending=True
MobileVertexMovement=True
MobileLODBias=-0.5
MobileBoneCount=75
MobileBoneWeightCount=2
MobileUsePreprocessedShaders=True
MobileFlashRedForUncachedShaders=False
MobileWarmUpPreprocessedShaders=True
MobileCachePreprocessedShaders=False
MobileProfilePreprocessedShaders=False
MobileUseCPreprocessorOnShaders=True
MobileLoadCPreprocessedShaders=True
MobileSharePixelShaders=True
MobileShareVertexShaders=True
MobileShareShaderPrograms=True
MobileEnableMSAA=True
MobileContentScaleFactor=1.0
MobileVertexScratchBufferSize=150
MobileIndexScratchBufferSize=10
ApexLODResourceBudget=1000000000000000000000.0
ApexDestructionMaxChunkIslandCount=2147483647
ApexDestructionMaxChunkSeparationLOD=1.0
bEnableParallelAPEXClothingFetch=True
TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,IgnoreTextureLODBias,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,IgnoreTextureLODBias,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,IgnoreTextureLODBias,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,NumStreamedMips=1,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_ImageBasedReflection=(MinLODSize=2048,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_Blur5,NumStreamedMips=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Bokeh=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage,NumStreamedMips=0)
ShadowDistanceMultiplier=1.0
ShadowCascades=3
ShadowSplit=0.0
ShadowSplit=0.16
ShadowSplit=0.48
ShadowSplit=1.0
bAllowSeparateModulatedTranslucency=True
ShadowCast_Near=3000.000000
ShadowCast_Far=6000.000000
bNVIDIA3d=False
PopulationAdjustment=0
TextureQuality=0
ViewDistance=3
ViewDistanceLowScale=0.5
ViewDistanceMediumScale=0.8
ViewDistanceHighScale=1.0
ViewDistanceUltraHighScale=2.0
ViewDistanceConsoleScale=1.0
NumberOfDecals=2
FramerateLocking=4
PhysXLevel=2 (maybe could be 3? Other physx games has that option)
MaxDrawDistanceScaleSplitScreen=1.0
bAutoDetectSettings=False
You also might want to set these options to get some of the building textures higher
Code:
MaxProcBuildingLODColorTextureSize=2048
MaxProcBuildingLODLightingTextureSize=2048

Last edited by Soul0Reaper; September 19th, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Soul0Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
sebo
First Access Club Member

Default Re: Borderlands 2 config tweaks

wonder if there is a way to increase the music/game/SFX volume? currently the menu/audio option only goes to 10 and it's way low compared to other games.
sebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:32 PM   #3
cryfreedom66

What kind of effect does this have on fps?
cryfreedom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:33 PM   #4
Bill "One Eye" Nye

Props OP.

The extra reflections sound interesting. As well as the reduction of texture streaming, annoyed the crap out of me in BL1 until I change some things around.
Bill "One Eye" Nye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #5
Aewyn
Murayama

Huh, thought I was registered on this forum already but I guess I wasn't!

Thanks for this. I'll mess around with it and see what I can get out of it. I'm guessing it still isn't possible to smooth out distant shadows because of limitations with the game engine?

Edit: I was messing around with shadows and I can mostly get shadows to appear sharper in the distance, but it isn't perfect. Shadows on rounded objects or up on vertical walls still have the "magic line" on them, but I've managed to eliminate it from most things.

Last edited by Aewyn; September 19th, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
Aewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Soul0Reaper

After reading some udk notes I've added some Engine.Engine tweaks which should (and really its a guess) improve some of the building textures.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebo View Post
wonder if there is a way to increase the music/game/SFX volume? currently the menu/audio option only goes to 10 and it's way low compared to other games.
Game is quite loud to me, maybe check your windows mixer or soundcard drivers to see your sound levels?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryfreedom66 View Post
What kind of effect does this have on fps?
I would say only do this if your getting your desired fps on borderlands 2 already. I can't say I notice any difference but I have a GTX 570 sli setup so I can't really tell. Even with 1 card disabled its fine. Everything I've done in my settings is to increase quality (how much is debatable ), no real optimization is present.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aewyn View Post
Huh, thought I was registered on this forum already but I guess I wasn't!

Thanks for this. I'll mess around with it and see what I can get out of it. I'm guessing it still isn't possible to smooth out distant shadows because of limitations with the game engine?

Edit: I was messing around with shadows and I can mostly get shadows to appear sharper in the distance, but it isn't perfect. Shadows on rounded objects or up on vertical walls still have the "magic line" on them, but I've managed to eliminate it from most things.
Nice, how did you do that? I'm not sure how high its possible to set shadow resolution so I just went with stuff that isn't too huge.
If you still see jagged shadows, maybe if you bump MaxMultiSamples to 8, they might get smoother, or force higher aa via drivers.

Last edited by Soul0Reaper; September 19th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old September 20th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #7
Aewyn
Murayama

Unfortunately the game runs in DirectX9, so my understanding is a setting higher than 1 is completely useless because the game literally cannot force AA higher than that. The FXAA is doing a pretty good job, but I think you know what I meant with the shadows on curves, shadow draw distance, and so on. They're limitations of the game engine, I think.

I don't know if there's a way to "fade them in" while avoiding the "magic line" phenomenon, despite the available settings that say something like ShadowFade, because I'm not sure how to tweak them as of yet. I can post the above section of my own settings if you like.
Aewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Soul0Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aewyn View Post
Unfortunately the game runs in DirectX9, so my understanding is a setting higher than 1 is completely useless because the game literally cannot force AA higher than that. The FXAA is doing a pretty good job, but I think you know what I meant with the shadows on curves, shadow draw distance, and so on. They're limitations of the game engine, I think.

I don't know if there's a way to "fade them in" while avoiding the "magic line" phenomenon, despite the available settings that say something like ShadowFade, because I'm not sure how to tweak them as of yet. I can post the above section of my own settings if you like.
MSAA is a dx9 feature. You could force AA and enable it in BL1 but you'd suffer from a pink outline on your gun icons.
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:09 PM   #9
Kantham
CookedPCConsole'd

Anyone found a way of toning down the particles for Physx Medium?
Old September 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Excelsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kantham View Post
Anyone found a way of toning down the particles for Physx Medium?
I'd really like to know aswell. Preferably, disabling the particles and only keeping the cloth movements and liquids. Physx on CPU would be fine if it wasn't for the overuse of the particles during gun fights.
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote