The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 19th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #1
~Robbie
Get you one!

Default Badass Rank Reset Bug [Latest Gearbox Post #3077]

[GBX EDIT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
If you feel your progress wasn't properly restored by the update, or if you're missing Golden Keys or Halloween Skins, please open a ticket at http://support.gearboxsoftware.com so we can get you fixed up.
Quote:
Good news! The update to restore Badass Rank will be hitting Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 on December 13! Links to the update notes are below.

Xbox 360: http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information
PlayStation 3: http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information
Quote:
The way we detect the loss is by scanning your save data to determine how much Badass Rank each character should have and then comparing that to your total Badass Rank. Each character is scanned individually, that's why we ask you to individually load each characters.

If the total Badass Rank is less than what a character's save data indicates it should be, then it's restored. But if the scan indicates that none of your characters should have a Badass Rank greater than the current total, then it won't be restored as the system is unable to detect the loss.

If you feel your progress wasn't properly restored, please file a ticket at http://support.gearboxsoftware.com so that we can investigate further.
Quote:
The patch containing the functionality to restore lost Badass Rank is now available on PC: http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information

To ensure you are credited for as much progress as possible, please load your character, select "Continue" on the Main Menu, and then "Save and Quit" after you enter the world. Repeat this process for each character in your character list.

For details on how this functions, please consult this post: http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...15#post3183615

We are working to bring this functionality to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in a future update -- after some additional testing, the updates containing this fix will be passed over to Microsoft and Sony respectively for certification.
[/GBX EDIT]

Hey, I was told to post this in the general discussion section (I frequent another forum) but I also posted it in the technical support forum.

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh....php?p=2774034

Anyway, here you go:

Hey everybody. I recently hopped on Borderlands 2 and noticed that my Badass ranks had been reset to 0. All my bonuses were gone and I didn't have them toggled off, it had just been reset completely. To my surprise, all of the challenges that build up your Badass rank still had all of the progress that I had made. I just get no credit for them and my bonuses are gone. This is troubling because now it will be even harder to increase the rank back to where I had it, since I can no longer repeat the challenges that I've already done.

I looked online and saw that this is a fairly common problem and I'm hopeful for ether a way to fix it, or for the developers to hear about this issue and work on it for the first patch.

Additional information that may be helpful to the developers:

- I play on Xbox 360.
- I play splitscreen almost exclusively. I didn't have the problem until I played after I had played on my own once.
- I'm a member of the Premium Club and have my Golden Key (I haven't used it yet).
- When I loaded up the game after playing solo, it told me that it was scanning for an original Borderlands save; like it did the very first time I played the game.

That's all I can think of for now. Any help from users is greatly appreciated, but a patch would be even better so the problem itself is fixed. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, my skins have been cleared. Both my color swaps AND my heads. I have a head equipped that I don't have unlocked; if I switch off of it I can no longer put it back on. This really bothers me since, up until now, new heads are hard to come by and I lost the two that I've unlocked.

Sorry if posting this twice is a problem but I'd definitely love some help with this.

Last edited by ChrisF; December 13th, 2012 at 11:14 PM.
~Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2
craigfitts613

Default Re: Badass rank reset to 0, skins lost, but challenge progress remains.

I play exclusively split scree with a pal and I lost all my badass rank as well, he lost none of his. I play on PS3. This is complete bummer after 4 hours of playing and building up over 150 to then start playing today and have my partner way ahead of me on points and my skills like a beginners. I kept my level and skill tree but lost all the additions. Is anyone responding to this?
craigfitts613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #3
zchay

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigfitts613 View Post
I play exclusively split scree with a pal and I lost all my badass rank as well, he lost none of his. I play on PS3. This is complete bummer after 4 hours of playing and building up over 150 to then start playing today and have my partner way ahead of me on points and my skills like a beginners. I kept my level and skill tree but lost all the additions. Is anyone responding to this?
check if you pressed triangle, that disables all the badass ranks.. Thats all I know
zchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #4
i2ply

Damn that sucks, i've heard of it happening with Steam but not consoles. Definetly a bug in there somewhere.. hopefully they can fix it.

My guess is it has something to do with how Badass Ranks are shared and apply all your characters. Which is pretty dumb imo to begin with, i'd much rather have seperate ranks for seperate characters.
i2ply is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #5
ZatShooter
First Access Club Member

Yeah I've been having the same problem on steam.
I logged in and singed up for shift yesterday and it said I have 3 keys. Then when today I went online today it said all my badass ranks where reset, all my skins where gone, and I only have 1 key.
ZatShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #6
~Robbie
Get you one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2ply View Post
My guess is it has something to do with how Badass Ranks are shared and apply all your characters.
I think you're right. It would explain why it also cleared out my skins -- those are also shared between characters.

It's definitely annoying and I'm hopeful for a fix.
Old September 20th, 2012, 12:37 AM   #7
Thanatos-Omega

I forget where I posted this earlier but I hope it helps everyone. It's not a perfect fix by anymeans but it works to my knowledge. This is PS3 only but if Xbox works the same it applies there.

Step 1: Go to your system user profile, create a second profile for your offline buddy. - you may want to set yours to auto login.

Step two: Invite said buddy over, sit em down and inform em of the problem. The above poster is 100% correct. This is the problem: The game applies all badass ranks across all a profiles characters. If your partner is using your profile - they have a name tag of "something_1"- the game won;t recognize them as a partner in terms of the ranks, just somebody using your char. Technically this is not a bug, as the system is correct in it's assumption, someone else is driving the toon but it's still saved to your profile.

Step Three: Your partner may at this point need a hug.

Step Four: Restart. Either have them join a game with their own profile or have them host one and have you join under yours.

Now you have two players each with a char saving to their own specific profile, the game should now save all badass ranks as well as the extras.

Disclaimer I'm not sure if stuff like the vault relic or extras carry over if they host a game. technically it should as you still have the data on your system regardless of whos hosting. But I'm not sure.

Also, the level 1 char will be either at a disadvantage or you will be at a superior advantage, since the game scales to the host, bringing a lvl 1 into a lvl 10+ game may bee a severe handicap until the xp starts flowing. So you may wish to either start over entirely yourself or, and this is what I'm doing with my buddy, have them host as a lvl 1, use your high power guy and just tag along acting like the hulk bodyguard on roids. With your superior level and likely guns the new player should gain XP and levels fast, and catch up to you.

Once you both are about the same level and place quest wise, either switch hosts, or just keep playing as you are.

This is by no means a perfect flawless fix, but to my knowledge it does work, my friends tell me this and speaking from a logical standpoint, GBX must have assumed that couch co-op friends would be using two distinct user accounts, so the game in a sense needs and wants them. Thankfully I'm just at sanctuary so starting over is not a kill blow, if I was much higher like at 16 or more I'd likely just pick a new lvl 1 toon, level with my buddy until we caught up then switch back.

A simple patch would be the best option, tell the game to save individual Toon badass ranks. so each char has their own rank, instead of wanting to blanked every toon under a profile with a single global rank chart. but in the meantime, this should help you all.

PC folks.....I have no clue, your porked sorry. - T-O is not a PC gamer apologies- Xbox guys and gals, if you can set up secondary user profiles on your system this fix should work for you like it does us PS3 people.

If you find this does not work, please lemme know, but thus far most of the folks I talked to in my circle said it works, or they lied to me and are planning to murder me for not having a simple fix for them loosing their rank progression....either way.

Alternatively, just turn the rank system off, then it does not matter if they use your profile or theirs. Thats arguably the simple easy fix. Not the preferable one obviously but a fix none the less if your unwilling to create another profile on your HD.

The Citadel: Our Forum Currently Hosting 3 Cortex system Rp's. Naruto: Building a Better Nightmare, Marvel: Siege of Earth and Coming Soon Warcraft: The Demons Son.
Thanatos-Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 02:51 AM   #8
RoeBear

This same exact thing happened to me now I'm down a key without using it. I wouldn't be as mad but I've been playing a while and I'm lvl 20 making the above solution even more annoying.
RoeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #9
~Robbie
Get you one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatos-Omega View Post
I forget where I posted this earlier but I hope it helps everyone. It's not a perfect fix by anymeans but it works to my knowledge. This is PS3 only but if Xbox works the same it applies there.

[Solution]
Sadly, doesn't work to fix the problem I'm having on the Xbox. On Xbox, me and the person I co-op with each have our own profiles. And since my challenge progress wasn't cleared, I can't actually re-unlock any of them. The skins being gone is what bothers me the most, though.

I'm level 22 and pretty far into the game. I can't really justify starting over now to re-unlock the skins that I should already have.

Thanks for trying to help though. Sounds like that should work for any PS3 player who shares the problem.
Old September 20th, 2012, 11:21 AM   #10
Thanatos-Omega

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoeBear View Post
This same exact thing happened to me now I'm down a key without using it. I wouldn't be as mad but I've been playing a while and I'm lvl 20 making the above solution even more annoying.
Well I said it was far from perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Robbie View Post
Sadly, doesn't work to fix the problem I'm having on the Xbox. On Xbox, me and the person I co-op with each have our own profiles. And since my challenge progress wasn't cleared, I can't actually re-unlock any of them. The skins being gone is what bothers me the most, though.

I'm level 22 and pretty far into the game. I can't really justify starting over now to re-unlock the skins that I should already have.

Thanks for trying to help though. Sounds like that should work for any PS3 player who shares the problem.

I'm not GBX tech but lemme see if I get this, you each have a profile, but it didn't save your ranks? Hrmmmm. Ok re read your post, you started in single player then switched to co-op yes?

Cripes I'm stumped, since your profile was the dominant one to begin with it should have saved everything regardless, the fact it didn't makes me think it's something with the system...were you using the same profile both times?

The hang up may be that when you start co-op with the same profile for the first time, it divides the premire club gear between the two players- The GBX guns I got were split, I got two my buddy got two, we both got skins- for some reason the system may have read things wrong and porked. Why I dunno. Wish I could be of more help but I'm unfamiliar with how 360 runs player profiles and saves so we shall have to wait and hope GBX just patches it.

How hard can it be? Tell the system to give all toons under a profile individual ranks in bad ass and assign the skins the same way....

The Citadel: Our Forum Currently Hosting 3 Cortex system Rp's. Naruto: Building a Better Nightmare, Marvel: Siege of Earth and Coming Soon Warcraft: The Demons Son.
Thanatos-Omega is offline   Reply With Quote