The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:05 PM   #1461
EnragedArts

Default Re: Badass rank reset to 0, skins lost, but challenge progress remains.

This is seriously ridiculous...

The exact same thing happened to me in Gears of War 3. To this day they are "working on a fix". Plain and simple, this will NEVER be fixed, there is almost NO way to recover your losses and it is likely it will continue to happen.

This is not the fault of the players, this is completely unfair. I just hit 50 today and end up losing my skins, badass ranks and everything else I'd put a lot of time in for. I don't even want to play this game anymore...

What a waste of a season pass, and a game.
EnragedArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #1462
Jayarih
Ignore me if you dare!

Unlike GoW3 there is a patch out for PC to see if it prevents it, if it does it will pave the way for a possible restoral patch
Jayarih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1463
Bulby33

Good thing that's a bunch of other games coming out soon (like Assassin's Creed III) that will keep occupied while Gearbox tries to fix this mess. I gotta say that despite my love and affection for Borderlands 2, this badass rank reset glitch SUCKS HARD. I really wanted to play the Pirate DLC this week. Ah well. Good thing I didn't buy the season pass.
Bulby33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 03:23 PM   #1464
CyberMaxX360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowski View Post
Logged into Borderlands today (Xbox 360). Always make sure the game saves before turning it off. Never splitscreen or play online. It said there was an update and logged me out of live, downloaded it, then said the text appears saying scanning for Borderlands 1 saved data.
Lost all 10,000^ of my badass ranking. Both characters reset. To say I'm upset is an understatement. After having a hard week, (one of the hardest emotionally and physically this year) I just wanted to un wind on BL2, to find out all my Badass ranking has gone has seriously annoyed me. What annoys me more is that fact this cannot be brought back and I have to start 6 days of play time all over again.
This IS one of the issues causing the BAP Reset... I saw this myself and posted about it as a response (forgot what thread).

Goes like this - The Game starts, states there is a Mandatory Update for this Title.

The Update is pushed, game restarts BUT!!! When you get one of those forced updates (you know they're the ones that are usually 3MB in size, they go to the XBOX Cache and won't see them on your HD/USB as a file) when this occurs your XBOX Live credentials are temporarily detached from the Service (it ALWAYS states: "You have been disconnected from the XBOX Live Service" while these downloads occur)

Now once download, by the time your profile re-establishes the Connection back to XBOX Live the Game has ALREADY RESTARTED and it more then likely, from what it looks like, has determined that this must be a new instance of the game. Flaw here: The game should have at this point determined that there is no profile attached to the session, generate an error and wait for one to attach THEN determine if this is a first instance run of the game.

To me it looks like what is occurring:
Since the game couldn't find any prior data in a profile and it seems to me that it can't even determine that there is no profile attached to the session at this point. I guess it must assume that this must be a new instance of the game which makes sense since it's probably the exact Reason why we see the message about old save games being picked up and the game giving us the veteran skins/faces over again, along with it determining that you should get 1 gold key if you have Premier installed.

Eventually the Profile connects back to XBOX Live.
I saw the message stating something exactly like that occurring on the main menu screen - the messages that state Looking for DLC, Looking for Updates, etc etc AND yes I know there is a message about "Creating an XBOX Live Session" but this message was in regards to the profile being logged in (Can't remember exact wording but at the time that's what it was stating)

Now the profile is online, the session has already determined that it's a new instance (Wrongly) and it now proceeds to write over the data in your profile thus a BAP Reset, loss of skins, etc etc.

SO...... NICE ERROR CHECKING there Gearbox, nothing like truly validating the potential "Write Destruction of Crucial Data" before executing (25+ years writing code for one major insurance co.) this is programming 101 here folks!

How about this for some coding... if on determination that this MAY, MAY be a first instance run of your game set a Flag. Now, BEFORE Writing destructive initialization data to the profile, do a damn error check as any good programmer should when handling destructive writes. All you need to do is determine that it IS IN FACT the first time. Before committing the write check the First Instance Flag if set get a handle to the profile and do a READ first, if for some reason you are capable of reading your stored data within the profile you need to dump to an error handler. There is no possible way that this is a FIRST INSTANCE RUN if your data is present and the write should be aborted.

Hopefully this adds some insight to one of the possible issues with the BAP reset, sadly nothing we can do to prevent this because the update is pushed and the game restarts faster then the profile reconnects it's Something that Gearbox needs to fix.

Cheers

Last edited by CyberMaxX360; October 17th, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
CyberMaxX360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1465
steveb
Crazy Bandit Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxSpacemanSpiffxx View Post
Are you viewing the rank challenges in the DLC? Try going back to the main game and checking the challenges.

There was another thread that reported this and it seemed to just be an error showing progress while in the DLC, and the challenges had not actually been reset.
I will try to look later. I was looking at the challenges from the DLC. Thank you as I was about to become more upset if it was really gone
steveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #1466
CrimsonSamuraiX

http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information

New patch out for PS3, but the fix for this glitch was not part of it.
CrimsonSamuraiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:51 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #1467
ChrisF
GBX Product Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSamuraiX View Post
http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...te-information

New patch out for PS3, but the fix for this glitch was not part of it.
This is something we're continuing to investigate and gather data on.

Chances are that any updates to further prevent this issue and / or possibly restore lost Badass Tokens will hit PC first, as consoles have a different process for releasing updates.

As soon as we have any more details to share about when and where those updates will roll out, we'll let you know.
ChrisF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1468
Iron Wall
Above Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
This is something we're continuing to investigate and gather data on.

Chances are that any updates to further prevent this issue and / or possibly restore lost Badass Tokens will hit PC first, as consoles have a different process for releasing updates.

As soon as we have any more details to share about when and where those updates will roll out, we'll let you know.
Chris until the patch is rolled out to fix this issue it might be worth mentioning to people in a sticky thread somewhere that the slow quit method prevents you from being hit by the bug.
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #1469
RAAMzilla
R.I.P. Yoteslaya

Apologies for not reading through all 148 pages, but I have question:

What happens to Badass points if one character is deleted? Are all Badass points earned as that character deducted from the pool, or does the total remain unaffected?

Thanks.
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #1470
CrimsonSamuraiX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAMzilla View Post
Apologies for not reading through all 148 pages, but I have question:

What happens to Badass points if one character is deleted? Are all Badass points earned as that character deducted from the pool, or does the total remain unaffected?

Thanks.
Character data and profile data are separate, once a challenge is completed on your character, ranks and tokens are earned on your profile. Even if you deleted the character, your profile data has already been updated, so it won't matter.
CrimsonSamuraiX is offline   Reply With Quote