The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 Online Play and Trading > BL2 Trading Post > PC

Old September 20th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #1
ShamisOMally
First Access Club Member

Default Borderlands 2 keeps crashing and modifying files

Have you guys updated anything with borderlands 2? It keeps crashing like mad now. had 4 crashes in the last 4 hours.

Every single time I verify the game, it fixes a file, then I run the game through steam, the game modifies the files again, and when I verify the game, it fixes the file, and the cycle repeats.

On top of that, within the last day, the last 4-5 hours of gameplay I have had 4 crashes or the game locking up.

Ignore post, posted it in the right section. Can't figure out how to delete this post
ShamisOMally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Weapon World

Default Re: Borderlands 2 keeps crashing and modifying files

have you played online with any strangers?

There is SO MUCH hacking/dupping/modding going on right now, it is like a Wal Mart after a major disaster with people looting and killing all over the place.

If you were playing with strangers, then most likely you got infected by them somehow. This happened on BL1 to some, even if they "did nothing wrong"

If you did not even play with people online, then disregard this post.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:53 PM   #3
invidious

This same exact issue is occurring to me as well.
I have not played on a public on-line game once (or matchmaking).
I only play online with one friend, and he's not hacking my computer.
But yes, randomly, my game will become unresponsive, and I'll have to ctrl-alt-del out, then the game will force close via task manager and I'll have to validate integrity of BDL2, redownload some lengthy files (In excesss of 1GB, as it's a 40 minute download at 2MB/SEC download speeds) and then hope the game does not crash again. Although I've crashed about 4 times already.

Computer specs
Windows 7 64-bit Home Edition
Gigabyte 990 990 XA UD3
8 GB G.Skill Ram
FX 4100
GTX 560

Some one please shed some light on this issue
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 05:25 PM   #4
Pietertje

Yup same problem here... crashed 5 times this evening, and all of those were in what I call highly intense strategic concentration moments. In other words: fighting like mad, seeing some awesome loot dropping (3-4 purple ones from a boss is awesome for me) or for the sixth time finally finishing a mission without the brains of my character blown out through his eardrums.

Also, only remedy so far is to ctrl-alt-del out into task manager, go to processes, and end task on borderlands2.exe.
What struck me as odd, tho, was that the file size is pretty consistent at about 1.5GB, and therefore I like to lean to a problem I had with Oblivion and Fallout 3. There was an .exe editor, which let you edit the exe, so that it would be set to allocate more than the standard 2GB (I think... might be more or less for a 32-bit exe file, but something like that) of memory. Maybe that is it?

I'm kinda reluctant to try this solution, as this (in contrary to Oblivion and FO3) is a multiplayer game, and I don't think the server hosts will like it if someone randomly edits a file. It might be seen as cheating, therefore banning me. And I don't want to be banned.

EDIT:

Running on Windows 7 64-bit (BL2 is 32-bits I've noticed), i7-2600K at 3.4GHz, GeForce GTX560Ti, 8GB RAM
Latest drivers
Running full options, full resolution

Up untill 1 (maybe 2) days ago, no problems. Now this....

Last edited by Pietertje; October 1st, 2012 at 05:31 PM.
Pietertje is offline   Reply With Quote