The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 20th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #1
bobstheword

Default Steam Cloud not in sync

I'm having an issue with saved games and this Steam Cloud! Every time I attempt to start a game, I get this Steam Cloud Sync message, hit one buttom out of the two to play, and when the game starts, I'm back to square one so to speak, and have to replay everything from Southern Shelf all over again! This is getting really frustrating knowing I was just in Frostburn Canyon, and I've lost everything up to that point! Only complaint I have thus far, but it's a big one. Thanks
bobstheword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:02 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
botman
GBX

Default Re: Steam Cloud not in sync

Are you playing on more than one PC? When it asks you if you want to use your local file or the cloud file, which one do you pick?

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Stripy Blobs

When it asks you if you want to update from local or cloud. It sounds like you are picking the cloud file which is out of date and therefore overwriting your local file where you had made progress.

Never update from the cloud.
Stripy Blobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #4
BishopRUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripy Blobs View Post
When it asks you if you want to update from local or cloud. It sounds like you are picking the cloud file which is out of date and therefore overwriting your local file where you had made progress.

Never update from the cloud.
Downloading is not the right option either, lost 16hours of progress, while choosing that today still no resolution working, scouring the web for 3hours now.
GG Cloud
BishopRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Glernaj

So having encountered this same problem, and losing 8 hours of progress to it, is there a way to revert the local file? Or has the syncing at least been fixed?
Glernaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 06:06 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #6
botman
GBX

If you start up Steam and it asks if you want to download from the Steam cloud and you haven't played on any other PC, you should ALWAYS say "No".

Steam is supposed to copy your save files up to the Steam cloud after you quit the game.

Are you shutting down your PC without waiting for Steam to copy things to the cloud (I think is says "Updating" or something similar) after quiting the game?

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:15 PM   #7
Wizminkey

Like others have said, the save file on your drive will always be the most current unless you play on multiple computers.

They really do need to improve Steam Cloud, though. The only time it performs a sync is when you're closing Steam, and for most of us, the only time that happens is during a shutdown. If it takes too long, Windows will force it closed.
Wizminkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Glernaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
If you start up Steam and it asks if you want to download from the Steam cloud and you haven't played on any other PC, you should ALWAYS say "No".

Steam is supposed to copy your save files up to the Steam cloud after you quit the game.

Are you shutting down your PC without waiting for Steam to copy things to the cloud (I think is says "Updating" or something similar) after quiting the game?
No, I don't remember shutting down my computer at all recently, but I did alt-f4 out of the game, could that cause a problem?
Glernaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:22 PM   #9
cannondale06

for the last hour, I have intermittently lost connection to Steam many times while playing. it said something about not being able to sync files with the cloud when I started the game. this cloud crap needs to go and if I lose all my progress I will certainly be more than a little mad.
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit || 2500K@4.4 with Corsair A70 || MSI P67A-G45 || EVGA GTX560 SE || G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x4GB DDR3 1600 || Samsung F3 1TB || HAF 912 || Corsair TX650 V2 || Sound Blaster Recon3D || Dell S2409W
cannondale06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 07:29 PM   #10
Deathmob

same thing happened to me, GG terrible Gearbox and Steam, thanks for nothing.
Deathmob is offline   Reply With Quote