The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #1
Mr HamsterPants

Default Borderlands 2 Freezing [Latest Gearbox Post #2857]

[GBX EDIT]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
A fix to address the issue where uneven Badass Stats could result in freezing behavior was part of the crash fixes contained in the update released in April: http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...ix-Information

If you experience further freezing behavior, please contact the team at http://support.gearboxsoftware.com for troubleshooting and investigation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
For those still affected, I'd suggest following the basic instructions here, even if you've done them before, just for the sake of safety and to rule out any possible hiccups: http://support.gearboxsoftware.com/e...shing-freezing
[/GBX EDIT]

I got BL2 at midnight release and have played it every day until now, it keeps freezing on me constantly. I try to load my game. Freeze. I try to make a new character. Freeze. I sit in the menu too long. Freeze. I installed it to my hard drive. Freeze. I clean the disc and try again. Freeze. I traded it back in and got a brand new copy. Freeze. I joined a friends game and it worked for 10 minutes. Freeze. I have played DVDs, Netflix, and Other games and they work fine, but when I play borderlands 2 at all, you guessed it. Freeze.

Here's my checklist I went over:
1. Not corrupted save, because I can not make a new character without it freezing.
2. I installed it to hard drive, but got nowhere.
3. I cleaned the disc and got a new copy.
4. I tried everything else available on my Xbox and they worked perfectly.
5. When I joined a friend's game it worked until we hit a loading screen.
6. I played the game fine until I got to the quest in Lynchwood about fighting the Sheriff; That's when it started to freeze.
7. Still freezes on different Xbox.
8. Still freezes after cleared cache.

UPDATE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasteofspace View Post
I've had the title screen freeze from a couple of weeks now, always happens when I press start and the "Searching for Downloadable Content" message appears. I cannot play my original lvl 20 something Zero, which I started online with 3 mates. Those 3 mates haven't had this issues so they went on with out me :-( I started using an offline profile just so I could play this $100 game, and that just feels like a huge waste of time.

So there was a 3mb update today which didn't resolve the title screen freezing. I tried clearing my cache, installing the game, deleting the DLC (premier club and the slaughter dome), and I manged to get past the title screen. Once at the main menu with my beloved Zero on screen (yay!), a message appeared to download an online compatibility pack (~200mb). I thought this was the update that would help us out, but again all roads lead to disappointment...
This is exactly the problem I am having
Hopefully Gearbox looks into this and updates this problem soon.

Last edited by ChrisF; July 9th, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Mr HamsterPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 12:34 AM   #2
AsWeWept

Default Re: Borderlands 2 Freezing

Clean your system eache, this is the cause of ALOT of freezing related issues and is often overlooked. If you don't believe this can do anything, let me tell you it eliminated the freezing on Fallout 3 when I first bought it and discovered cache clearing.

NOTE: This will remove all your game updates (NOT DLC, updates that are required to download upon starting the game. For example, the title updates from Battlefield 3 will not be erased but the other updates will be.). Simply restart your Xbox and redownload each update just like you would normally to replace them.

1. Hit the Xbox guide
2. Find the Settings tab
3. Select System Settings
4. Select Storage
5. Highlight whichever memory device Borderlands 2 is installed on
6. Press Y for device options
7. Select Clear System Cache and press Yes.

Many people I know have never cleared their cache which means it can cause ALOT of loading issues that usually cause freezing.

BL2 Orange guns found: x1 Pyrophobia, x1 Volcano, x1 Slagga, x1 Striker, x2 Bitch (Sold 1 by accident), x1 Thunderball Fists, x1 Gub, x1 Flakker, x1 Conference Call, x1 Sledges Shotgun
AsWeWept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Mr HamsterPants

Better after cache cleared, but it still freezes
Mr HamsterPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Mighty Vox

I'm having the same issue. Just started happening yesterday.

Here's my text from another topic I created.

Begin frustration.

I originally purchased BL2 on Tuesday and I played it successfully, without freezing, until yesterday (Thursday). It then proceeded to freeze on me during the intial loading screen for the game (usually at the publishers info screen) and also during loading screens for the game and during the game itself. Currently, my game is frozen while fighting a boss.

In order to attempt to fix this I switched to my old original xbox (currently have a Slim). The issue still occurred. I also got an exchange on the game from the store and the issue is still happening. I deleted the cache based on another post in the Gearbox forum.

Short version:
Freezing issues
Tried multiple Xboxs
Tried without game installation
Tried with game installed
Tried different copies of the game
Tried clearing the cache

I'm stuck and would really like to play the game.
Mighty Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:28 PM   #5
AsWeWept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Vox View Post
I'm having the same issue. Just started happening yesterday.

Here's my text from another topic I created.

Begin frustration.

I originally purchased BL2 on Tuesday and I played it successfully, without freezing, until yesterday (Thursday). It then proceeded to freeze on me during the intial loading screen for the game (usually at the publishers info screen) and also during loading screens for the game and during the game itself. Currently, my game is frozen while fighting a boss.

In order to attempt to fix this I switched to my old original xbox (currently have a Slim). The issue still occurred. I also got an exchange on the game from the store and the issue is still happening. I deleted the cache based on another post in the Gearbox forum.

Short version:
Freezing issues
Tried multiple Xboxs
Tried without game installation
Tried with game installed
Tried different copies of the game
Tried clearing the cache

I'm stuck and would really like to play the game.
Trying using a different memory card/harddrive. Try deleting all the DLC (Like the premiere edition, etc) and redownloading it. NOTE: I don't know if you can get those again, but I just assume you can.

Also, are you playing with an active internet connection?

BL2 Orange guns found: x1 Pyrophobia, x1 Volcano, x1 Slagga, x1 Striker, x2 Bitch (Sold 1 by accident), x1 Thunderball Fists, x1 Gub, x1 Flakker, x1 Conference Call, x1 Sledges Shotgun
AsWeWept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 09:58 PM   #6
daver516

I'm having the same problem, I figured out that the problem is linked to the profile on the system, if you try and play with a different profile it should work, aleast that was what worked for me.

Hopefully they come but with a fix for it soon
daver516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
Mighty Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsWeWept View Post
Trying using a different memory card/harddrive. Try deleting all the DLC (Like the premiere edition, etc) and redownloading it. NOTE: I don't know if you can get those again, but I just assume you can.

Also, are you playing with an active internet connection?
I've already tried all of those variations with the multiple consoles.
Mighty Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:27 PM   #8
Zcander

Wow, I'm glad I finally found someone with all the same problems as me. I hope they fix it soon. I wish the devs would give us a heads up. I dont care when its fixed I just want to know its being looked into. I didn't preorder the game and buy the season pass so I couldnt play it on the account I bought it on.
Zcander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2012, 04:16 PM   #9
OutcastRY
Mr. Owlingtons

Sorting quest triggers it, GBX working on a fix.
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #10
Zcander

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutcastRY View Post
Sorting quest triggers it, GBX working on a fix.
Can i get a link on that? Or just something, This is starting to piss me off. I lost my best character and now I can even play the freeking game. They really need to freeking fix this

Last edited by Zcander; October 5th, 2012 at 11:49 PM.
Zcander is offline   Reply With Quote