The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Old August 22nd, 2014, 06:52 PM   #1
Cacodemon

Default Are non-elemental weapons worth using in UVHM yet?

Been almost a year since I've played, just wondering if anything has changed before I reach UVHM. I recall filling up a mule with non-elemental pearls.
Cacodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 07:08 PM   #2
Troubled
Jakobs Maverick

Default Re: Are non-elemental weapons worth using in UVHM yet?

They don't pack as much of a punch as elemental weapons and damage to slagged enemies is increased from 200% to 300% as well as the duration of slag on enemies increases quite a bit.
Old August 22nd, 2014, 08:30 PM   #3
johnrr6
I'm your Huckleberry...

But there are some really good options that didn't use to be in the game.....The Bekah AR and the Godfinger sniper.

As good as elemental for the most part....IMHO....

and I don't really like NE at all.....LOL
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:22 PM   #4
Adabiviak
Guajiro Pandoreņo

Non-elemental weapon damage hasn't been buffed, if that's what you're asking. That said, there are a handful of non-elemental weapons that fare quite well in UVHM, but on their own merits.
Adabiviak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 09:58 PM   #5
Prodigious1

I kind of felt like non-elemental guns fell behind even late in TVHM. Can you use them? Yes. But do they generally make me want to? No. I hate it because I liked Jakobs a lot early on, especially the revolvers. A non-Jakobs weapon without an element is pretty much insta-marked as trash. Buffing non-elemental damage would be nice in future games. Regardless though, I'm finally taking a Zerker through UVHM (mid 50s now, found gear as always) and if I find 2 good Jakobs revolvers, he's going to dual wield them.
Prodigious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2014, 10:57 PM   #6
jiandersonzer0
makingKckstrter4abetterPC

Send a message via Skype™ to jiandersonzer0

Jakobs shotguns, Jakobs Irons, and their unique weaponry are all fairly good. A Quad is still one of the best shotguns I know of for Zer0.

Aside, yes Jakobs works, same as anything else. Just depends on what you like.

Awesome sig courtesy of Altairw. Click it for a video playlist!
Steam: jiandersonzer0
jiandersonzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 01:22 AM   #7
erspears

I use non-elemental weapons in UVHM all the time without any trouble. Admittedly, many of them are Legendary or Pearlescent, but still. I love my Hammer Buster, and my Butcher has actually gotten me several FFYL second winds. My Skullmasher is pretty effective and super fun, same for my Maggie. And the Law will always be one of my favorite guns ever; that thing is a tiny sniper rifle with a huge goddamn knife on it. Also, regardless of ehat kind of weapon I'm using, I slag as much as I can.

Last edited by erspears; August 23rd, 2014 at 11:27 AM.
erspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:06 AM   #8
NickInfidel

If your gonna use a non elemental, use Jakob's.
Old August 23rd, 2014, 06:42 AM   #9
Cacodemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adabiviak View Post
Non-elemental weapon damage hasn't been buffed, if that's what you're asking. That said, there are a handful of non-elemental weapons that fare quite well in UVHM, but on their own merits.
Yeah, pretty much this ^, was hoping they would've buffed non-elemental by the time I got back to the game. I remember playing a commando up to OP3 or OP4 and finding a bunch of non-elemental pearls and legendaries over his long 1-72 career, but they simply couldn't keep up with anything in UVHM, even with Duty Calls.

I'm well aware of the balancing and food chain of damage types, but I was hoping for them to at least make non-elemental relevant for classes other than Zer0. Not to mention as others have pointed out, an entire manufacture line is nearly obsolete in UVHM. I was hoping they'd add some sort of universal bonus to critical damage for all non-elemental weapons, an unlisted effect such as fire vs flesh, but non-elemental vs critical. This way, outside of specific Jakob weapons, they can still be relevant, but only if you're skilled and accurate, thus making them rewarding, but difficult, to use.

Oh well, the Pre-Sequel will probably be more of the same, but we can always look forward to Borderlands 3 for a more refined and improved damage model system.
Cacodemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2014, 07:13 AM   #10
Chuck80
Deputy

Just look at my signature, you'll find a link to a discussion on non-elemental weapons (you should read that) ...and a build that features Jakobs shotguns that can kill raid bosses in under 2 minutes
Chuck80 is offline   Reply With Quote