The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old November 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #171
squelch

Default Re: Borderlands 2 PC (Steam) split-screen / dual-monitor guide

sorry if this has already been asked, but what might be happening if my second instance doesn't open-i get the launch menu, but the game does not actually start when i click play o.o
squelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #172
derbybirdy

Thanks to OP for directions. It has been great playing BL2 two player on 2 screens.

But with today's patch (November 13th) it has become impossible to load up a 2nd instance. As soon as any character (existing or brand new) is loaded by the 2nd (sandboxed) instance and joins a game it crashes. A single instance works fine, regardless of profile, character, or if Steam is online or offline. The same issue occurs if I load the sandboxed instance first - the un-sandboxed instance crashes when its character tries to join a game.

The error file suggests missing files in Steam (see edit below).

Anybody else had this problem since this new patch? Is there a change I need to make to the sandbox profile?

Edit: I have tried verifying files and I have uninstalled and re-installed but still with no joy.

Last edited by derbybirdy; November 14th, 2012 at 03:51 AM.
derbybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #173
timthedim
First Access Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbybirdy View Post
Thanks to OP for directions. It has been great playing BL2 two player on 2 screens.

But with today's patch (November 13th) it has become impossible to load up a 2nd instance. As soon as any character (existing or brand new) is loaded by the 2nd (sandboxed) instance and joins a game it crashes. A single instance works fine, regardless of profile, character, or if Steam is online or offline. The same issue occurs if I load the sandboxed instance first - the un-sandboxed instance crashes when its character tries to join a game.

The error file suggests missing files in Steam (see edit below).

Anybody else had this problem since this new patch? Is there a change I need to make to the sandbox profile?

Edit: I have tried verifying files and I have uninstalled and re-installed but still with no joy.

i had the same issue this morning. ? are you using 2 controllers.

i ask this because it worked this morning after i loaded with just one instance using a controller i was able to use the carachter selection screen and join my game.........
w here,s what i did
open the host instance first started game

open second instance select character join game

i tried with one instance with keyboard and other with controller

i was able too join and enjoy with out the borderlands2 stooped workin error

i tried with both instances using a controller and got borderlands 2 exe. has stopped working

i added the -controller offset command 2 my sand boxed instance and game now plays both instances using abox360 controller

on a side note when using two controllers leave one unpluged untill the second instance is at title screen then plug inn controller and press start

Last edited by timthedim; November 14th, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
timthedim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #174
derbybirdy

@timthedim: thanks for the respone. Yes, I got to this solution myself last night after re-reding this entire thread and seeing that others had a similar problem before the patch. Just adding that one command has made all the differenec (plus I can now access all the options for both insatnces).

On a side note: as frustrating as doing this kind of thing is, it is what I love about PC gaming - the flexibility and the challenge. It's like one massive boss battle.
derbybirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #175
Bachanditrocks

When running the game in Sandboxie, I'm getting and error message:
"Steam.exe (main exception): Unable to write to the current Steam application folder. Please move steam to a folder where you have write privileges."

I am the administrator for the account and we followed all the permissions instructions in the main post and selecting "Run as a UAC Administrator" before loading. Any idea what's going on?
Bachanditrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2012, 12:15 AM   #176
Xuereb

For some reason i cannot get my sandbox instance of the game to recognize my controller inputs
help would be nice
edit: ok so i now found that my problem is not with sandbox not understanding my inputs. because i opened a different steam game with sandbox and the controllers worked fine, so borderlands is the only game with a problem, also if i start with the launcher, the launcher recognizes the controller, but once the game starts it wont recognize it. The normal instance of steam however does work with the controller. Im so confused anyone have some clue whats wrong here?
edit again: fixed it by only pluging in the controllers when the game starts, not before then

Last edited by Xuereb; November 26th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Xuereb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:31 PM   #177
TheLeapist
First Access Club Member

Has anyone found a good alternative to indievolume yet?
TheLeapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 04:47 AM   #178
Dadam88

Hello, very impressed with the amount of information on this subject. I just purchased Borderlands 2 and with the help of this tutorial I was able to enjoy this game with my friend.

I am running into one nuisance, I do not mind it but I have been trying to find a remedy, maybe yall can help me out? :-)

Nuisance: Unable to get a 'perfect' fullscreen on TV display, left with a constant reminder of you are playing in a window, instead of on a TV.

if I open a browser, and or any other program that has windows on the TV, I can drag them to the top or right of screen and Window 7 will half it or Maximize it. Also when just clicking maximize it will maximize within the TV screen.

If I try this with Borderlands 2, the screen teleports to the first display.

If I change the settings within BL2 on the TV display to 'Windowfullscreen', it teleports to first display

If I change the settings within BL2 on the TV display to Fullscreen, it teleports to first display

In all I would like to run BL2 on my second display (TV) in fullscreen. Also, sometimes I am unable to drag over the window BL2 for to the TV, usually i have to close and reopen my batches and try again. Maybe that has some correlation with the nuisance.

I have tried numerous attempts at tweaking options in the NVIDA controller but I have not have any luck.

Did I miss something simple? Please enlighten me, and thank you.

Last edited by Dadam88; December 21st, 2012 at 04:49 AM.
Dadam88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2012, 08:05 AM   #179
Sycdan

Glad you found it useful!

What you need to do is use -WindowedFullscren in conjunction with -WindowPosX=N, where N is the pixel width of your primary display's current resolution, if the secondary display is to the right, or minus that amount (e.g. -1920) if the secondary display is to the left.

Also, you can move windows between screens with SHIFT + WIN + Arrow Keys. This works for a WindowedFullscren instance of BL2 (not Fullscreen, though), but sometimes you have to mash the arrow key quickly a few times to make it take.

Good luck!

Last edited by Sycdan; December 21st, 2012 at 08:09 AM.
Sycdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #180
timthedim
First Access Club Member

Just tried borderlands this morning

and im getting this error when trying to open a second instance

"Steam.exe (main exception): Cannot open blob archive file: CMultiFieldBlob(mem-mapped file): Failed to open existing file, Win32 Error 32 "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

ive tried loading the sand boxed instance first then the normal version and still have issue

I"ve uninstalled and reinnstalled sandboxie and still have issue

heres my batches
player2."C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /elevate /box:Steam2 "E:\pc game\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32\Borderlands2.exe" -NoLauncher -AlwaysFocus -WindowedFullscreen -WindowPosX=0 -SaveDataId=2 -ControllerOffset=1

player1."E:\pc game\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32\Borderlands2.exe" -NoLauncher -AlwaysFocus -Windowed

Last edited by timthedim; December 29th, 2012 at 10:22 PM.
timthedim is offline   Reply With Quote