The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 28th, 2012, 08:08 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #41
botman
GBX

Default Re: PC (Steam) "split-screen" guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredhite1 View Post
What gives there? Is there any way to change this behavior?
Any game that utilizes SteamWorks (the API that Steam uses for services like matchmaking, voice communication, etc.) will have this issue. The guys at Steam said it's because the Steam client wouldn't know which instance of the game to send responses back to when the game makes an API request (many requests are queued and handled asynchronously). Since the Steam client can't keep track of which instance sent a request, Steam only allows 1 application (using SteamWorks) to run at a time.

BL1 didn't use SteamWorks (it only added cloud save later which doesn't require the SteamWorks API) so that's why you could run multiple instances of BL1.

---------- Post added at 08:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addsy View Post
is there any way to force the HUD/UI to be bigger?
No, the HUD/UI is scaled to your window size. If you want a bigger HUD/UI you'll need to use a larger window size (like running on a second monitor).

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathologic View Post
This is very annoying, and not easy to avoid. I signed up here hoping someone could tell me a workaround.
Using 2 Xbox360 controllers is the best way to play 2 instances on the PC.

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #42
LapinD
First Access Club Member

Hey there, thank you for in advance for your responses, also, excuse my poor english as it is not my native language : )
I've tried to follow your steps but i'm kind of a newbie and i don't understand how to make bat files and how to run them ? Also i've followed your steps with sandboxie, but when i try to launch borderlands for the second time, steam launch successfully, but then i've got the message that there is an error "The game is currently unaivalaible (Unknown error)"..
I don't know what to do ! And is it possible to run the game with one keyboard + mouse and one controler ?
Thank you all : )
LapinD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #43
Sycdan

For the batch files:
  • Open Notepad (Windows Key + R -> "Notepad" -> Enter)
  • Copy/paste the line from my guide into Notepad and adjust as needed
  • Go to File -> Save As, select "All Files (*.*)" from the "Save as type" box, enter the filename you want with .bat at the end and press Save

Regarding the Unknown error:
Have you tried loading the Sandboxie one first?
Did you add the Steam folder to the Direct Access section of Sandboxie?
Also, you could try putting /elevate before /box:Steam2 in the line that starts Sandboxie, to force it to run in administrator mode.

It is possible to run with keyboard/mouse and 1 controller, but that works best if you have 2 screens and can run both games in WindowedFullscreen mode.

Last edited by Sycdan; September 28th, 2012 at 01:31 PM.
Sycdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #44
Dark_Novak

Alright. I have both the batch files, but when I try to run them both (Is that what I do? Double click them both to run them?) Sandboxie says that free version only allows one Sandboxie program at a time. Have I done anything wrong?

Last edited by Dark_Novak; September 28th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Dark_Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #45
SneakyNoodle
A Noodle in the Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathologic View Post
Hi. I got both players working nicely on my single 1280x1024 monitor.

There's just one problem with it. Since we can't use windowed fullscreen mode for the Mouse + Keyboard player due to the offset problem, that means we have to use windowed.

The problem with that is, aiming up fast enough with the mouse can drag the Windows cursor over the top of the window, and the window can be accidentally maximized or dragged.

This is very annoying, and not easy to avoid. I signed up here hoping someone could tell me a workaround.
Hey, I had this very same problem, both players on one screen, one player using a controller and another using mouse/keyboard. I would always end up moving my window when looking up and it was so annoying.

Download the program called Cursor Lock. It allows you to set an executable to lock, pick the borderlands 2 exe, then go into user mode, set the lock to window interior, and finally set the poll rate to anywhere under 50ms. Here's the download: http://download.cnet.com/Cursor-Lock...-10767852.html

Hope this helps!
SneakyNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #46
korzal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Exlair View Post
Maybe I'm completely missing something here, but how exactly do I get the .bats to run properly without encountering the Steam error of;

"Steam.exe (main exception): Cannot open blob archive file: CMultiFieldBlob(mem-mapped file): Failed to open existing file, Win32 Error 32 "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Certainly related to running different processes of the game, but I think I've done everything detailed here.

Any help would be appreciated.
Would just like to chime in that I am getting this error too.

edit: for anyone having bad luck with this method, I ended up copying my steam folder and the borderlands install to a new folder, installed a no-steam crack, and used the tool found in this thread http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...d.php?t=156994
sucks to have to resort to a crack, but at least I have my regular game separate so I can play online with friends and then played the "cracked" version locally with my gf

Last edited by korzal; September 29th, 2012 at 04:05 AM.
korzal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #47
Dark_Novak

Only one player has saved, the other one the blue icon stays up and we can't travel because of it. Was this already asked/what is the solution?
Dark_Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #48
Addsy

Botman, is there a way to change player 2's username in the game? Tr one that appears on the main menu and above the players head. At the minute my name appears on the girlfriends screen.
Managed to get a second monitor by the way and its working perfectly thanks for the advice on that
Addsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM   #49
icarussc

This is great -- I'll try it tomorrow -- but it's hardly what I'd call a simple solution. Any chance of something more user-friendly coming, botman? I remember you saying you were working on a hack a couple weeks ago.
icarussc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #50
Addsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Novak View Post
Only one player has saved, the other one the blue icon stays up and we can't travel because of it. Was this already asked/what is the solution?
Make sure that the player 2 shortcut or bat has -SaveDataId=2 at the end of the target line
Addsy is offline   Reply With Quote