The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #51
Sycdan

Default Re: PC (Steam) "split-screen" guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addsy View Post
Make sure that the player 2 shortcut or bat has -SaveDataId=2 at the end of the target line
Actually, the save bug is caused by the game not handling the second controller properly. -ControllerOffset=1 is used for the second player, to get around this issue.
Sycdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #52
icarussc

So I was going to try it tomorrow, but I decided not to wait

It works great, with one little problem -- the controller won't work for P2. The mouse and keyboard do, but the controller's not registering at all. It works for P1. I tried the -NoMouse switch and it disabled the mouse, but didn't enable the controller

Any idea why that is?
icarussc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:05 PM   #53
Dark_Novak

ALRIGHT, SO I JUST WENT THROUGH A TON OF THIS WITH SYCDAN! Here were a couple problems I experienced, and probably a fix to the Player2 not working for you guys. Sycdan did an excellent job with everything, but my computer did not have the save files and stuff in the location Sycdan provides. Make sure to check and make sure the Borderlands2.exe is in the folder location where the program tries to go.

[Borderlands 2 - Player 2.bat]
"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /elevate /box:Steam2 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32\Borderlands2.exe" -NoLauncher -AlwaysFocus -WindowedFullscreen -WindowPosX=0 -ControllerOffset=1 -SaveDataId=2

That is the exact batch file from the OP. HOWEVER, MY Borderlands2.exe file was not in that location it wants to find Borderlands2.exe in. Mine was in

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam\steamapps\common\Borderlands 2\Binaries\Win32\Borderlands2.exe"

See where I had to change it? Double check that it is going to the correct folder to find the file. My batch wouldn't work until I did that. Hope this helps someone else who was having trouble with it.
Dark_Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2012, 03:56 PM   #54
Addsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycdan View Post
Actually, the save bug is caused by the game not handling the second controller properly. -ControllerOffset=1 is used for the second player, to get around this issue.
Ah right, i use the controller offset argument with player 1 which is me on mouse and keyboard and player 2 without the command and it seems to work and save perfectly.
Addsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 01:09 PM   #55
ajshin27

noob here, so sorry if these questions have been answered. Is the full guide required for split-screen if I have a non-steam version of the game? If not, what parts can I take out (for single monitor use at 1080p).

Also, is is possible to play the game at a resolution that is different than the window size? ie. If I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and am playing splitscreen (top/bottom), can I have each "window" played at 1920 x 1080 or 1280 X 720 and still take up just the full area of the window (1920 X 540)? The reason I ask is because I have a "simulview" monitor and would like to use this feature but keep the correct aspect ratio.
ajshin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:03 PM   #56
Dark_Novak

Actually, not sure if ajshin said this in a manner I didn't understand, but what would the actions/.exe parameters/whatever be to type into something so that you get 1680x540, so that then I can have the two games stacked one on top of the other?
Dark_Novak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM   #57
ajshin27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajshin27 View Post
noob here, so sorry if these questions have been answered. Is the full guide required for split-screen if I have a non-steam version of the game? If not, what parts can I take out (for single monitor use at 1080p).

Also, is is possible to play the game at a resolution that is different than the window size? ie. If I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and am playing splitscreen (top/bottom), can I have each "window" played at 1920 x 1080 or 1280 X 720 and still take up just the full area of the window (1920 X 540)? The reason I ask is because I have a "simulview" monitor and would like to use this feature but keep the correct aspect ratio.
Just in case more clarification is needed, this is what simulview does: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsDEwi9FnWY

Cool thing is you can do this with any passive 3d tv. Anyways, what is happening is that each split screen is being displayed across the whole monitor. Depending on which pair of 3d glasses you have, you will see either players 1's view across the whole screen or player 2's view. The problem is that the aspect ratio is wrong because the split screen (1920 x 540, in my case) is being stretched across the whole monitor (1920 x 1080). Thats why I'm wondering if it's possible to have an in-game resolution (1920 x 1080, or 1280 x 720) inside each splitscreen window (1920 x 540), so that the aspect ratio is correct after the "stretch" from the simulview feature. God, I hope that made sense to somebody.
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:30 PM   #58
Addsy

To both above:
Here is how i got it working split screen on a 1080p monitor

Create 2 shortcuts of borderlands2.exe from the games directory wherever you want (i use desktop) and name them Player 1 and Player 2

Edit player 1 and click properties
Then add this to the end of the target line:
-AlwaysFocus -WindowedFullscreen -ResX=1920 -ResY=540 -WindowPosY=0 -WindowPosX=0

and this at the end of player 2's target line:
-AlwaysFocus -WindowedFullscreen -ResX=1920 -ResY=540 -WindowPosY=540 -WindowPosX=-0 -SaveDataId=2 -ControllerOffset=1

This will work perfect using 2 controllers just launch player 1 and then 2
apart fromnot being able to read the text so i use a second monitor

Last edited by Addsy; October 1st, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Addsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM   #59
ajshin27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addsy View Post
To both above:
Here is how i got it working split screen on a 1080p monitor

Create 2 shortcuts of borderlands2.exe from the games directory wherever you want (i use desktop) and name them Player 1 and Player 2

Edit player 1 and click properties
Then add this to the end of the target line:
-AlwaysFocus -WindowedFullscreen -ResX=1920 -ResY=540 -WindowPosY=0 -WindowPosX=0

and this at the end of player 2's target line:
-AlwaysFocus -WindowedFullscreen -ResX=1920 -ResY=540 -WindowPosY=540 -WindowPosX=-0 -SaveDataId=2 -ControllerOffset=1

This will work perfect using 2 controllers just launch player 1 and then 2
apart fromnot being able to read the text so i use a second monitor
Awesome thanks. I'll try this when I get home. Do I need sandboxie to do this?
Old October 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM   #60
Mithrot

Hey guys, congrats on getting promoted by PCGamer!

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/01/sp...borderlands-2/

Seems like other people care about this feature on the PC as well, even if it isn't official. This thread is really helpful!
Mithrot is offline   Reply With Quote