The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 21st, 2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Arsonist
PHD in The Dark Arts

Default Maya Mods Question

So, I'm guessing most people are further along than I am. That being said I'm piddling around level 16, was curious if anyone had seen well... what I'm about to talk about.

The most common Maya mods seem to be the ones dealing with elemental damage. I haven't come across a slag or electrical one yet, but I know "fox" is fire and "witch" is corrosive. They're typically worded as...

Siren Fox Class Mod
+18% Fire effect chance
+15% fire effect damage

My problem is that my primary weapon is a fire smg and there are questions that this leads to, primarily..

If you use a mod that has one elemental effect, but your gun adds a different effect, does it still work.

Case in point lets say I had the above fox class mod while using a corrosive weapon. Do I have a chance to deal fire and corrosive damage, or does the mod only add to the *chance*, not grant the ability to spawn a completely different set?

Anyone know anything on this? If it grants the ability, could be a *great* way to diversify maya without limiting yourself too much gun wise. Fire Gun + Slag Mod = Profit. If not, it seems like you're going to be banking a *lot* of class mods in case you find the element later on on a sweet gun.
Arsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:49 AM   #2
Pandora the Explorer
Gimme da loot!

Default Re: Maya Mods Question

That would be cool to do both corrosive AND fire damage at the same time.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:28 AM   #3
divinitybkg
Killer Siren

Send a message via Skype™ to divinitybkg

Just like it was with Lilith in the original, elemental class mods only trigger when you're actually doing that type of damage to boost it. It doesn't just add it on out of nowhere.
Still works great with elemental grenades, and her skills like Cloud Kill and Helios
divinitybkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:38 AM   #4
swk3000

Class Mods never add new capabilities; they only enhance existing ones. In order to get a benefit of the Fox mod you mentioned, you have to have something that deals fire damage already; the mod then makes that damage more powerful.
swk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:39 AM   #5
Arsonist
PHD in The Dark Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinitybkg View Post
Just like it was with Lilith in the original, elemental class mods only trigger when you're actually doing that type of damage to boost it. It doesn't just add it on out of nowhere.
Still works great with elemental grenades, and her skills like Cloud Kill and Helios
Sad but good to know. Actually didn't play the siren in the original. Opted for it this time cause...

Well it's not every day the black mage gets a gun.
Arsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:50 AM   #6
swk3000

Actually, the same thing applied with every character: mods only enhanced what was already there; they only enhanced what was already present. The only exception was ammo regen.
swk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:03 AM   #7
13igTyme

If it where to add it them people would have been more OP in BL1 with a firefly mod and a jacobs gun.
13igTyme is offline   Reply With Quote