The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:32 PM   #1
sinistersinner
First Access Club Member

Default Tiled Screenshots

Hi.

I have a question about making tiled shots with the ingame console.

On the left is a normal Screenshot with Steam (F12). The one on the right was made with the console command "tiledshot 6" wich I scaled down in photoshop to my original screen resolution.

You'll notice some blurry black grid on the right screenshot. I have no idea how to get rid of them. Is there a console command for that "effect" to turn it off or a setting in one of the ini files?

Thanks in advance!
sinistersinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
botman
GBX

Default Re: Tiled Screenshots

The black lines are caused by the overlap between tiles. You need to specify a second parameter (after the multiplier parameter) to increase the size of the overlap between each tile...

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TakingScreenshots.html

For example, try using "TiledShot 6 128" or "TiledShot 6 256" to see how that looks (the default overlap is 64 pixels).

EDIT: Nice screenshot by the way!

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Last edited by botman; September 22nd, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by botman View Post
The black lines are caused by the overlap between tiles. You need to specify a second parameter (after the multiplier parameter) to increase the size of the overlap between each tile...

For example, try using "TiledShot 6 128" or "TiledShot 6 256" to see how that looks (the default overlap is 64 pixels).

On a somewhat related note, I notice the steam screenshot looks way worse than the tiled.

Does steam's screenshots not accurartly capture all the details, or does tiled screenshots enhance detail, somehow?

Guns I want/willing to trade for: Level 65 or above Patton, Nailer, Sentinel, T.K.s wave, Leviathan, Lady finger, Blister, Elephant gun, Dove-hornet hybrid, The spy (body 5, vector acc)
Ned's SMG, level 68 max stats Wee wee's super booster
Jabberwock xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
sinistersinner
First Access Club Member

Quote:

Thanks botman, but I already tried the second parameter up to 4096. Doesn't make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock xeno View Post
On a somewhat related note, I notice the steam screenshot looks way worse than the tiled.

Does steam's screenshots not accurartly capture all the details, or does tiled screenshots enhance detail, somehow?
Thats because the tiled screenshot six times the size of the normal screen resolution. In my case "tiledshot 6" is 11520x6480 pixels. I then scaled it back down to 1920x1080 with photoshop. That's where the details come from.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:25 PM   #5
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersinner View Post
Thanks botman, but I already tried the second parameter up to 4096. Doesn't make a difference.

Thats because the tiled screenshot six times the size of the normal screen resolution. In my case "tiledshot 6" is 11520x6480 pixels. I then scaled it back down to 1920x1080 with photoshop. That's where the details come from.
So the game renders what's currently on screen at a higher resolution than what you are currently using?

Neat.

Guns I want/willing to trade for: Level 65 or above Patton, Nailer, Sentinel, T.K.s wave, Leviathan, Lady finger, Blister, Elephant gun, Dove-hornet hybrid, The spy (body 5, vector acc)
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM   #6
U1849KA
Emperor of Cashlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock xeno View Post
So the game renders what's currently on screen at a higher resolution than what you are currently using?

Neat.
Basically. It divides your screen into sections that are taken at full resolution. So, instead of the top left corner being the size of the top left corner, it blows it up to fill the screen and takes the shot of that corner at your full resolution, then the next tile and the next.

Then it patches them all together into a much larger image. When you then shrink that down to the size of the normal shot, it has more detail because it was able to capture more detail to begin with, and because taking a large image and scaling it down always makes it look like it's got finer details than an image that was just created at the end-product size.

You'd still have the most detail leaving the tiledshot at full size, but the images tend to be too large to use easily.
Nothing is ever finished.
Goddess-elemental // Mr. Stabby // Puncho and Lefty // ODST //|RED TEXT BONUS LIST||The Ideal Playthrough||Starting Levels and Triggers
U1849KA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:07 PM   #7
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by U1849KA View Post
Basically. It divides your screen into sections that are taken at full resolution. So, instead of the top left corner being the size of the top left corner, it blows it up to fill the screen and takes the shot of that corner at your full resolution, then the next tile and the next.

Then it patches them all together into a much larger image. When you then shrink that down to the size of the normal shot, it has more detail because it was able to capture more detail to begin with, and because taking a large image and scaling it down always makes it look like it's got finer details than an image that was just created at the end-product size.

You'd still have the most detail leaving the tiledshot at full size, but the images tend to be too large to use easily.
Well, if you scale it down, it SHOULDN'T have any more detail or look better than a normal screenshot, they'd have the same number of pixels, at least in my head.

EDIT:

Is there a way to get the game to render everything this way, as you play it? If it's the same pixel resolution, I'd imagine it wouldn't be that much harder to run.

Also, the amount of difference in the two images it too large for it to even be due to that, I think something else is at play, here.

Last edited by Jabberwock xeno; September 22nd, 2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 03:40 PM   #8
sinistersinner
First Access Club Member

There is nothing else.

If you do a normal Screenshot it's your resolution you run the game in. In my case its 1920x1080. The tiled shot is 11520x6480 (six times the size).

So of course you get way more detail on thet size than on the original. If you scale it back down to 1920x1080 then you have way more image information in that. That's where the details come from.

And no you can't play the game this way. A screenshot made with "tiledshot 8 516" takes about 4 minutes to render.

You can try downscaling with a powerful Nvidia SLI or AMD Crossfire setup. The graphic cards then render the game in doubled size and scale it back down to your screen resolution. That way you get way smoother edges.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 06:14 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #9
botman
GBX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistersinner View Post
And no you can't play the game this way. A screenshot made with "tiledshot 8 516" takes about 4 minutes to render.
Yeah, it's slow and it takes up TONS of system memory to save each of the tile screenshots and then stitch them together into one large shot.

I'm not sure why the overlap parameter didn't help. I've tried this out on few shots and didn't see this problem (but most of my shots were in darker areas of the game, not against a bright white sky).

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?" - Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
botman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 08:09 PM   #10
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

Quote:
Yeah, it's slow and it takes up TONS of system memory to save each of the tile screenshots and then stitch them together into one large shot.

I'm not sure why the overlap parameter didn't help. I've tried this out on few shots and didn't see this problem (but most of my shots were in darker areas of the game, not against a bright white sky).
I'm still not understanding.

The detail of an image corresponds directly to the amount of pixels, and the contrasting HSV between them.

If it's possible to render the game with better detail by the latter, then why isn't it done? It shouldn't be nessacry to do the tiled thing to get those details.

Argh, i'm having a hard time explaining what I am thinking.