The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
OME9A

Lightbulb Extracting Audio from Borderlands 2

I'm interested in some of the audio clips.
The .ogg extract method from BL1 doesn't seem to work anymore (unless I am trying the wrong .upk files?).

Does anyone know how to get audio from BL2?
OME9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:43 PM   #2
Chaparro
Turning off the optics...

Default Re: Extracting Audio from Borderlands 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OME9A View Post
I'm interested in some of the audio clips.
The .ogg extract method from BL1 doesn't seem to work anymore (unless I am trying the wrong .upk files?).

Does anyone know how to get audio from BL2?
The sound is currently packed into a file type called .pck. The extract .upk won't wont. I am currently trying to extract audio as well. I'll post back here if I have any luck.

Edit: Actually, is this okay to post on the forums? I don't want to get in trouble. Could a moderator chime in here please? I ask because it seems like they wanted to make the audio files harder to get at.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaparro View Post
The sound is currently packed into a file type called .pck. The extract .upk won't wont. I am currently trying to extract audio as well. I'll post back here if I have any luck.

Edit: Actually, is this okay to post on the forums? I don't want to get in trouble. Could a moderator chime in here please? I ask because it seems like they wanted to make the audio files harder to get at.
Ask long as it's not about modding consoles, modding/assest extraction has always been okay, as far as I remember.

Guns I want/willing to trade for: Level 65 or above Patton, Nailer, Sentinel, T.K.s wave, Leviathan, Lady finger, Blister, Elephant gun, Dove-hornet hybrid, The spy (body 5, vector acc)
Ned's SMG, level 68 max stats Wee wee's super booster
Jabberwock xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:28 PM   #4
OME9A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwock xeno View Post
Ask long as it's not about modding consoles, modding/assest extraction has always been okay, as far as I remember.
Yeah, the original .ogg extract topic is on the gearbox BL1 forum! -- see:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...ad.php?t=85305

I hope the community figures something out! I need some of those Lilith quotes
OME9A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2012, 03:00 PM   #5
Jabberwock xeno
s6 wannabe/Gun collecter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OME9A View Post
Yeah, the original .ogg extract topic is on the gearbox BL1 forum! -- see:

http://forums.gearboxsoftware.com/sh...ad.php?t=85305

I hope the community figures something out! I need some of those Lilith quotes
If you manage it, let us know, an online catalog of all the echo logs would be nice...

Guns I want/willing to trade for: Level 65 or above Patton, Nailer, Sentinel, T.K.s wave, Leviathan, Lady finger, Blister, Elephant gun, Dove-hornet hybrid, The spy (body 5, vector acc)
Ned's SMG, level 68 max stats Wee wee's super booster
Jabberwock xeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Tefalo
First Access Club Member

game audio player (aka gap1.32) finds some kind of audio files when scanning the audio PCKs. I tried opening an extracted wav in a hex editor since they wouldn't play, and from what i gather they're using some kind of compression.
Tefalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:24 AM   #7
Toxe

This would indeed be interresting, as I'd like to extract some music files to supplement the official soundtrack.
Toxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #8
arfn24
First Access Club Member

I GOT IT.

First you need to use one of the audio extraction scripts for Assassin's Creed 2 / Brotherhood. (same file format, it seems)

After that you need to use ww2ogg from here - http://hcs64.com/vgm_ripping.html
You also need to use the -pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin flag.
arfn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:44 PM   #9
HeXetic

Thanks a ton arfn24. I have been checking these forums every day for the last week, hoping someone would figure it out.

For anyone wanting more instructions, the music is all in:
Code:
WillowGame\CookedPCConsoleAudio_Streaming.pck
You can use "Extractor" from http://www.box.net/shared/0f0hfp8mz2 , and extract all of the .wav files from that package. Download ww2ogg from http://hcs64.com/vgm_ripping.html and put ww2ogg.exe and packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin in the same place that you extracted the wav files.

Open a command prompt and go to wherever you extracted them. The following shell command will convert everything to .ogg:

FOR /F "tokens=*" %G IN ('DIR /B *.wav') DO ww2ogg.exe "%G" --pcb packed_codebooks_aoTuV_603.bin

For me at least, the conversion to OGG screwed up the timestamps and WinAMP is unable to determine the actual audio duration (as a result, no seeking).

Some of the more interesting clips:
00141 is the fantastic "exploration music" with that haunting 4-note motif as seen in the video accompanying this review of the soundtrack, which mentions the track isn't on the official soundtrack CD (for shame!)
00342 is an edit of "Ain't No Rest for the Wicked" made to sound like it's on the radio
00445 is the music from Moxie's bar
00451 sounds like iconic music from the Dam when the Loaders are first encountered.
00505 is the main menu screen music.

There are a lot of environmental noise tracks in there; I find that sorting by filesize is a good way to weed them out.

I gotta say, I was most definitely *not* a fan of the music in Borderlands 1. I found it much to vague and without definition. I actually turned it off and ran WinAMP in the background with some Seasick Steve, the soundtrack of "Last Man Standing", and a bit of disco/dance (when berserking with Brick, it's hilarious).

On the other hand Borderlands 2's music is fantastic, both in and out of combat, and when I put the game down for the night I always find myself with one of the soundtrack's tunes in my head.

Last edited by HeXetic; September 26th, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
HeXetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #10
ArchReaper

Any idea how to get the voice files? I'd love to get some Claptrap sound bites but I can't figure out where they are - this process only seems to work for the music file.
ArchReaper is offline   Reply With Quote