The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 General Discussion (No Spoilers!)

Closed Thread

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
CKsquid

Default Borderlands 2 Difficulty - Plain Frustrating.

Ok, let me first state that I put at least 75+ hours into borderlands 1 across both PS3 and PC, played all DLC's and loved every second of that game.

Then it came to playing borderlands 2, started a new solo game, playing as zero.
Right out of the gate I knew there was something different with this game, at first it seemed as though I wasn't levelled up enough to complete the first few story missions, the Captain of that ship at the start of the game for example, I died over 10 times before using cheap tactics and beating him.
I felt helpless, as before this there is about 2 side missions to complete, both of which barely effect your overall level.
This goes on for probably the first 3-5 hours of the game, with little side quests, over powerful enemies and no decent guns at your disposal.

Then during the mission leading up to chapter 6-7 or so, things seemingly improve (ever so slightly) then chapter 8-9-10 and BOOM, back to frustration again.

I have to admit it is a entirely different experience in co-op, the game plays fine and I like the difficulty there.

I feel the difficulty defiantly needs tweaking for solo play, it feels like there is little difference between 2 player difficulty and solo difficulty, and this is a problem.

The game is just frustrating and just no fun to play at times.

SIDE NOTE: What happened to the shotguns? There terrible in this game.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
TrueNinjaman74
Shooter of Barrels

Default Re: Borderlands 2 Difficulty - Plain Frustrating.

Huh, I can't say I've had any difficulty problems at all with this one. It's just about as easy for me as the first one was so far, haven't really been killed by much of anything yet.

We shall call it: The Smackerel
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #3
CKsquid

See a few people keep saying they aren't having any problems with the difficulty which throws me off a little, surely were both playing the same game and played the same borderlands 1. I see the difference, and so does my partner, who also played a lot of borderlands 1.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #4
r00ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueNinjaman74 View Post
Huh, I can't say I've had any difficulty problems at all with this one. It's just about as easy for me as the first one was so far, haven't really been killed by much of anything yet.
Agreed, I am not seeing any of this 'difficulty' people are reporting.

Perhaps these are 'user errors' I think.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #5
RunDosRun

Actually gonna have to disagree with you here, I find the difficulty tweak perfect. and this is very rare, most games (skyrim, BL1, others) are just too easy for me, especially at the later levels
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Porshapwr
Hey Slab!

This is just my opinion, but the difficulty is one of the things that I LOVE about the new game. I love a challenge and you are correct, this game is substantially more difficult than Borderlands 1.

But for me personally, I love it. I must have died 5 times in a row the other day getting through a section with tons of robots and a badass constructor. But the 8-bit playing stubborn gamer I am, I wasn't turning it off until I beat it. And eventually I did.
Level 34: Commando
Level 8: Psycho
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #7
Foxy42

Uh, yeh, sounds like we're playing different games. Difficulty has been ok so far (I'm lvl 15 just rescued Roland). That Roland rescue chain was tough, particularly dealing with the spawned Spoiler: badass loaders, but I soon figured out what I had to do. The captain was tough I agree, I died a couple of times, but that's how I want my bosses, deadly. I had to farm a few gun machines (check machines, exit, load again, check machines again), until I found a suitable weapon to down him, and sure enough at the end of the fight I was waiting for more bandit spawns so they could drop me some ammo and running around like a looney with like 15% health trying to keep my shield up, but like I say, that's better than sniping Baron Flynt before he even reaches you as I could do in BL1.

Shotguns seem a lot better to me, but to be honest, I never use them in either game. I found a really powerful one early on in BL2 which was a bit nuts, anything that got in my face was one-shotted, or two at the most, so I was left with the impression that they were better, I may be wrong though, I don't and don't plan to use shotguns anyway. Guess you were just unlucky with early drops.

"IN THE FAAAAACE!"
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #8
Makellos

This game really almost demands playing with friends. I find myself joining random lobbies/ starting my own open lobbies. It isn't the only way to play but it is by far the most effective. I started by myself, kept dying and was getting annoyed, everything was higher level, and I wasn't getting to their level fast enough. Opened the game, random people joined and it all changed.

Last edited by Makellos; September 24th, 2012 at 12:37 PM.
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #9
Blazur
Bazilionith Member

Meh. Up to around level 23 as Zer0 and so far the game is pretty easy. Playing as a sniper, and tried in both solo and co-op. You're probably skipping a bunch of side quests or trying to fight in areas above your level.

Steam: blazur
Old September 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM   #10
CKsquid

To me it just feels as though they only catered this game towards those playing with friends or even random people, call me a loner but I prefer my games solo, and to be fun, enjoyable experiences with little frustrations, I can handle a death here and there, but been pummeld by an enemy 1 level higher than me, over and over again, that is just bull.
Closed Thread