The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 Gameplay Discussion (Spoilers!)

Old September 25th, 2012, 09:23 AM   #1
Rooksarii

Default EASTER EGG UPDATE: Noticed some Numbers in Sanctuary

I have the sinking feeling I am all interested in something that may have already been noted and solved, but has anyone else noticed the 5 sets of numbers in Patricia Tanis' office in Sanctuary? They are located on what I assume are pillars in her office, pretty asymmetrical and each has 6 numbers. Doesn't seem to be a Shift code, as those are 5 sets of 5 numbers.

***UPDATE***

Thanks to a crew of fellow vault hunters, we've come to some initial ideas as to what these numbers, we are thinking dates, references.

The numbers and thier location in Tannis' office are:

081782 - Enter Tannis office from the street, turn 180 degrees and the number shows on the column to your right (more on this number below)
111408 - As you enter from the street, your left hand wall with the 2 sets of lockers, this number is on one of the pillars there
102010 - Column in the middle of the room with dartboard, this number is facing the number above
092812 - Opposite side of the column from the number above
091283 - Column next to the staircase, number is facing towards the washing machines

We approached this from a few angles, but the one that seems to bear the most fruit is assuming they are dates. We tried to think of Borderlands specific dates first, and then branched off to genearal tech, humor or pop culture items. I'll start from the top.

08/17/1982 - This was the birthday for the Compact Disk. At first we thought this was just a PS3 exclusive date because on various 360/PC videos and our friends who have those versions, they do not see this date. I did however realize that the date does not show for one of my alternate characters, so I am wondering if it is related to gameplay by either passing some unknown test or mission.

11/14/2008 - This one was a little tricky, but there are a couple of matches that are Borderlands related. First was the original teaser trailer for Borderlands that featured Helena Pierce and a much more photorealistic art style. The videos that we found for this matched up closely with November 14 2008, with a couple posting on that date. The other tidbit comes from Gearbox opening up local game testing, the application was made available November 13 2008, but not sure if it started the day after, etc.

10/20/2010 - One year anniversary of Borderlands!

09/28/2012 - First community event for Borderlands 2 and I believe the first release of SHiFT codes on twitter.

09/12/1983 - Given the grittiness of Borderlands, the only thing we could find that was remotely appropriate was the original theatrical release of Scarface

We could be way off the mark on some if not all of these, but I would like the give a huge shout out to the folks who have been working with me on this one: judecomputer, dryheave004, koruptkillz, Girls N Corpses and the folks of NOM Clan, this wasn't all me!

If anyone finds some more appropriate dates or other ideas, please let me know. And if anyone from Gearbox wants to make my day and say I am on the money, well that's fine too!

Last edited by Rooksarii; October 3rd, 2012 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Further developments and shout outs
Rooksarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Rooksarii

Default Re: EASTER EGG UPDATE: Noticed some Numbers in Sanctuary

Bumpdated the post
Rooksarii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:37 PM   #3
zimbuzki

As we are talking about the numbers in only one room, there is number 14 behind the main poster as you come in, on the front colum, it's a bit bigger than the rest but definatly the same font.
zimbuzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #4
zimbuzki

Also, cant locate 081782 for some reason ... PT2
zimbuzki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:44 PM   #5
Kubae

Good thinking with the date thing ! However, have you considered that these might be coordinates ? Can we find a layout of bl2 map with lat/lon with this possibly being related to crystaloferrous ?

The more people smoke herb, the more Babylon fall.
Kubae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Zexis

You know what'd be even cooler? If there was a date somewhere for something that has yet to come...
Zexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Opandroid

Try it set your local date to 2 years from now and see if they already have release dates for dlc in the files
Opandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #8
DarkestKnight19

Those numbers are also hex codes for colors.

091283 =
092812 =
102010 =
111408 =
081782 =
DarkestKnight19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:22 PM   #9
Dentist
Wicked & Resting

Send a message via Skype™ to Dentist

The numbers, what do they mean???
Dentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #10
Von Krieger
Loot Mongering Dragon

09/12/1983 is the day before I was born.
Von Krieger is offline   Reply With Quote