The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:34 PM   #1
kasparian23

Cool BL2 vs BL1 drop rates

I understand that everyone is frustrated by the drop rates, but I dont think they are as bad as they appear. I didn't get an orange gun in BL1 until I farmed new haven at lvl 50. General Knoxx and Robolution desensitized the community as far as weapon rarity. In the robolution, it wasnt uncommon for me to get an orange weapon from killing a claptrap. Legendary weapons in this game are just that, legendary. Purple is the new orange, and orange is the new pearl (though not just as rare). Get used to this and the drop rates wont seem as awful.
kasparian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #2
VaLKeH
Indoril Nerevar

Default Re: BL2 vs BL1 drop rates

It just seems that endgame vending machines and boxes are useless in this game. Back in BL1 i would find some of my best guns just opening random boxes while doing side-quest.

It sucks this game i nearly have to farm bosses to get a "decent" gun. Shame,shame.
Boxcars, Chromes and fatcaps!
VaLKeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM   #3
drenz
e-terrorist

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaLKeH View Post
It just seems that endgame vending machines and boxes are useless in this game. Back in BL1 i would find some of my best guns just opening random boxes while doing side-quest.

It sucks this game i nearly have to farm bosses to get a "decent" gun. Shame,shame.
Yeah I think the whole boss farming took out a lot of the fun of exploring and opening chests. I did BNK-3R about 10x in the last 2 days and practically replaced half of my guns. Would never get those from chests.

Which is a shame cos I'd really prefer to play the game and get surprised by guns every now and then, than keep quitting and re-starting the level to farm a boss.
drenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #4
bigdug13

Enemies don't drop what they're using anymore, so you definitely get less loot. If an enemy was shooting you with an electric shotgun or fire AR, you knew that once you killed that guy, you could loot an electric shotgun or fire AR. If an enemy is throwing transfusion grenades that are seeking you out, you knew that if you killed that enemy, you could get a new transfusion grenade mod.

Those things no longer happen in BL2, and it makes it less fun to kill certain enemies. I've killed lots of Torgue using enemies, hoping to find an upgrade to my torgue weapon, only to have them drop nothing, or a weapon that isn't even related to what they were using.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2012, 09:31 PM   #5
Elephant
Skag Hater

I can't speak for everyone but in my personal experience the drop rate in 2 is much lower than 1 and could really do with a buff.

I lost count of the number of playthroughs I did on BL1 - easily more than 2 dozen - and I can categorically state that not ONCE did I get to the end of PT1 without at least a couple of decent legendaries, in many cases I had half a dozen or more - and no I'm not much of a farmer - would do a few runs through lucky's after clearing it but that's about the extent of it.

In BL2 I have 1 char on L44, one on L14 and one on L8, and apart from the guaranteed shield mission reward, have a grand total of two oranges - one from PT1 Warrior which seems to be pretty much a guaranteed drop. (Oops make that three - I forgot to mention that I also have a Bee, which I farmed for so I could see what all the fuss was about).

The impression I get from BL2 so far, is that the risks (aka difficulty) have been raised by quite a bit and the rewards correspondingly reduced. Ballsy call GBX - I hope it doesn't backfire on you :/

I'll bet that there would be fewer rage posts about the difficulty if the rewards from the many epic battles were more ... well ... rewarding.

Last edited by Elephant; October 4th, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote