The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #1
anossXVIII
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 36
Default Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Alright, so this afternoon I finished my playthrough of Salvador, and after a long and hard battle with The Warrior, I decided its time to start a new character. I think Maya seems pretty cool so why not try her?

Anyways, I noticed that she almost relies on her Action Skill to be prosperous, and mid-late game, lots of enemies are PL-immune so she seems rather useless-for solo play at least. These enemies are supposed to take heavy damage to make up for the immunity aren't they?

When I start (probably tomorrow) I'm planning on speccing into Harmony. That means there aren't any DoTs that still take effect (affect) after I use the ability. So I'm wondering- do PL immune enemies take lots of damage from phaselock instead of being locked? Videos I've seen suggest otherwise or at least I don't think I've noticed enemies taking damage.

Thanks in advance!
anossXVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
HeartlessInc
The Siren Specialist
 
HeartlessInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 582
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anossXVIII View Post
Alright, so this afternoon I finished my playthrough of Salvador, and after a long and hard battle with The Warrior, I decided its time to start a new character. I think Maya seems pretty cool so why not try her?

Anyways, I noticed that she almost relies on her Action Skill to be prosperous, and mid-late game, lots of enemies are PL-immune so she seems rather useless-for solo play at least. These enemies are supposed to take heavy damage to make up for the immunity aren't they?

When I start (probably tomorrow) I'm planning on speccing into Harmony. That means there aren't any DoTs that still take effect (affect) after I use the ability. So I'm wondering- do PL immune enemies take lots of damage from phaselock instead of being locked? Videos I've seen suggest otherwise or at least I don't think I've noticed enemies taking damage.

Thanks in advance!
This is sadly been overstated by the Maya community, it is not a large amount of enemies, as a matter of fact it is a vast MINORITY, specifically Raid Bosses. Granted normal super upgraded versions of enemies are immune, but it is not the insane number you may have been led to believe.

As for Harmony Builds or any other info, there is a stupid amount of build threads and guides in this sub-forum. Insane amount of them, most are very in depth like my own, or WSADclick's, Devil Lord's, Arsonist's, Eagle's, Divinity's. There's a Master Build List thread currently in progress somewhere..
HeartlessInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Gulf Stream
Where the cars live.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 32
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

You take a massive chunk of damage off buzzards. I forgot how annoying those things actually are until I ran through the Tina missions on my soldier. Ugh... nightmares.

Also, you can pretty much take out any turret/autocannon with one phaselock, which is amazing during the Angel fight, and anyplace you find those engineers.

The real bonus to phaselock though, is Res. No matter what build you're going for, go down to Res first, it's the best talent in the game. No seriously. The best.
Gulf Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #4
anossXVIII
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 36
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Funny you should post on this, Heartless! I'm actually planning on following your harmony build for my playthrough!

Anyways, do the phaselock immune enemies take the damage instead of being locked down? A video I watched of a Maya player fighting a large PL immune skag (who's name I forget) didnt take damage upon being PLd. Nor did the Warrior, BNK3R or Bloodwing.
anossXVIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Aremihc
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 54
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessInc View Post
This is sadly been overstated by the Maya community, it is not a large amount of enemies, as a matter of fact it is a vast MINORITY, specifically Raid Bosses. Granted normal super upgraded versions of enemies are immune, but it is not the insane number you may have been led to believe.

As for Harmony Builds or any other info, there is a stupid amount of build threads and guides in this sub-forum. Insane amount of them, most are very in depth like my own, or WSADclick's, Devil Lord's, Arsonist's, Eagle's, Divinity's. There's a Master Build List thread currently in progress somewhere..
It just happens to be a very IMPORTANT minority, like Warrior, Terra, Verm, etc...
Aremihc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #6
HeartlessInc
The Siren Specialist
 
HeartlessInc's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 582
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anossXVIII View Post
Funny you should post on this, Heartless! I'm actually planning on following your harmony build for my playthrough!

Anyways, do the phaselock immune enemies take the damage instead of being locked down? A video I watched of a Maya player fighting a large PL immune skag (who's name I forget) didnt take damage upon being PLd. Nor did the Warrior, BNK3R or Bloodwing.
Why thank you! I hope it helps somewhat, my main focus on Maya is DPS or Support DPS, full on Support is a little newer to me so I'm learning. In terms of Immune Enemies, I have personally...

Not fought an enemy, that took no form of damage at all. Now this has an amendment to that, my Phaselock has insane DoT's stacked onto it thanks to Helios, and Ruin. Phaselock-Immune enemies WILL take damage from DoT skills from said Phaselock. As mentioned above, you will take a clean chunk out of Buzzards... and those are.. are so annoying.

I would say out of the three enemies you listed above as an example? The biggest problem you'd run into, is Bunker. Anti-Aircraft Fire is a biiiiiitch...

But yeah, Lock-Immune enemies are annoying, but thankfully not mega common. Nor are they immune to any other skills you can sync up as Maya.
{But it is annoying, especially for Harmony... Sweet Release/Elated/Wreck become useless in Boss Fights... poor Harmony..}

EDIT: Yes, as I mentioned Raid Bosses are Immune... and... still, take DoT damage from Phaselock's skills. Yeah. Slag included. Slag... the whole, double damage of all other sorts of damage in the game thing. Yeah. From a DPS stand point? Phaselock is fine. From a Support stand point? There needs to be a resolution.

Last edited by HeartlessInc; October 7th, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
HeartlessInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Arsonist
PHD in The Dark Arts
 
Arsonist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 10,841
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Wreck... you would be so... so loved if you only proc'd on cast and not on uptime...
__________________

How I feel when I cast Phaselock Maya (72) |Deathtrap Gaige (50) |Turret Axton (50)/(50) |Decepti0n Zero (14) |Gunzerk Salvador (30)
Arsonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Aremihc
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 54
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartlessInc View Post
Why thank you! I hope it helps somewhat, my main focus on Maya is DPS or Support DPS, full on Support is a little newer to me so I'm learning. In terms of Immune Enemies, I have personally...

Not fought an enemy, that took no form of damage at all. Now this has an amendment to that, my Phaselock has insane DoT's stacked onto it thanks to Helios, and Ruin. Phaselock-Immune enemies WILL take damage from DoT skills from said Phaselock. As mentioned above, you will take a clean chunk out of Buzzards... and those are.. are so annoying.

I would say out of the three enemies you listed above as an example? The biggest problem you'd run into, is Bunker. Anti-Aircraft Fire is a biiiiiitch...

But yeah, Lock-Immune enemies are annoying, but thankfully not mega common. Nor are they immune to any other skills you can sync up as Maya.
{But it is annoying, especially for Harmony... Sweet Release/Elated/Wreck become useless in Boss Fights... poor Harmony..}

EDIT: Yes, as I mentioned Raid Bosses are Immune... and... still, take DoT damage from Phaselock's skills. Yeah. Slag included. Slag... the whole, double damage of all other sorts of damage in the game thing. Yeah. From a DPS stand point? Phaselock is fine. From a Support stand point? There needs to be a resolution.
The main issue is Maya's best healing skill (Elated) and two of her best DPS skills (Chain Reaction and Wreck) are negated on PL immune bosses...
Aremihc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #9
WASDclick
Member
 
WASDclick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 181
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aremihc View Post
The main issue is Maya's best healing skill (Elated) and two of her best DPS skills (Chain Reaction and Wreck) are negated on PL immune bosses...
But only somewhat negated.

Many bosses spawn adds for the purpose of FFYL recovery (or added difficulty). Most adds will be able to be Phaselocked, so you can still get a lot out of your skills in most any fight. The only notable exceptions I can quickly recall are Saturn and Terramorphous.

So for 99% of the game, Phaselock is fully usable with only a little improvisation required.

And Res makes phaselock usable in every situation with no downside what-so-ever if you don't mind playing with a team.

(In fact, I'm willing to say Res makes Phaselock the best action skill in the game, bar none. Everyone has a downside to their action skills. Axton's turret is easy to blow up when not used tactically, Zer0 doesn't gain any protection while in Decepti0n and makes him break consistent damage for burst, which is less useful on bosses, and Salvador can't use sights while gunzerking, possibly limiting his effective weapon choices and definitely weakening him against distant enemies behind cover. ResLock can take an enemy out of the fight easily, or when it can't, you can take a difficult revive and turn it into a mere click of a key. That's not downside, that's minor inconvenience.)

Last edited by WASDclick; October 7th, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
WASDclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #10
Elric of Grans
PC Player
 
Elric of Grans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Posts: 761
Default Re: Phaselock Immune Enemies?

I find Phaselock immune enemies more annoying with other characters than Maya. Buzzards are trivialised, and multi-target zone enemies take hits on all targets (making for almost rocket launcher level damage over and over and over again).

The rumours of phaselock's impotence are greatly exaggerated.
__________________
Your signature says everything about you.
I am short and boring.
Elric of Grans is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.