The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #1
Unreal701

Default Axton Solo Build

I had a very difficult time on playthrough 2 and 2.5 with my gunzerker doing content solo. With a group everything worked great but anytime I was solo I would constantly die.

I would like to avoid this for my second character so I was wondering if the commando was a solid solo class for end game content and what build would be best for this.
Unreal701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #2
Slayer Jesse
Automated Death Deployer

Default Re: Axton Solo Build

i cant really tell you exactly without knowing your playstyle, but i will say this. i was playing a damage based gunpowder build and died. alot. i then switched to a shield tank build and stared dying alot less. you really cant neglect your defense in 2.5. preparation is essential for the capacity and the out of combat healing. quick charge is amazing, very fast shield regen everytime you kill something? yes please. if pure tanking is your thing, check out grit. if you get a good class mod, you can get a 40% chance to ignore fatal damage and instead heal 50%.

My Borderlands and Full Metal Alchemist Crossover: The Alchemist And The Anarchist.
69 Delta Force Axton, 69 Plasma Anarchist Gaige (Kill it with turrets and electricity, respectively.)
Slayer Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Wrath1of9001

For a solo build in late game content, I rock a Guerrilla spec grabbing Double Up. Then I go down Gunpowder for Longbow, then pop over to Survival for Preparation and my last three points go into Pressure for less recharge delay and reload speed. Willing and Pressure give you enough recharge delay so that with most of the shields I use my delay is less than a second. Then Prep takes over, and as long as you can avoid being hit you're regening. Honestly, that's all the survivability you need. With Double Up, Scorched Earth, Impact, plus the boosts from Onslaught and Metal Storm when you kill an enemy, nothing really is left alive too long to deal any real damage to me.
Wrath1of9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #4
Alias1983

Depends mostly on what game changer you want and how you play if you want 2xturrets then your not doing much but sitting back picking off what your turrets cant kill.

If you want to be more involved gunpowder is sweet, great all around anyway.

But guerrilla is a great spec for all around feel.

BL2: 50 Axton, 50 Zero, 1X Maya, 3X Gaige, 20 Sal.
Number of legendary found. too damn many hahaha.
Alias1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:21 PM   #5
Long3ars

You still die? 15 second terramorphous kills all night.

Get double up then spend the remainder in gunpowder. I put one point in the survival spec that recharges hp when the shield is full.
Long3ars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Mopar
Turning Midgets to GOO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal701 View Post

I would like to avoid this for my second character so I was wondering if the commando was a solid solo class for end game content and what build would be best for this.
The Commando and the Mechomancer are the two best solo classes.
Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 03:57 PM   #7
gotee

When I'm fighting by myself and with a team, I run this at 50 with the Terramorphous class mod (puts all 1 pointers at 5 and sentry up to 8). I use The Slagga to make up for missing the slag turret from Guerrilla and I find I'm able to survive so much better this way without losing much damage from not being able to dig deeper in Gunpowder. Buuuuut, since you're still leveling, I'll give some tips on what I did and what I learned from leveling.

For leveling by yourself, I recommend at least getting to Scorched Earth. The added damage from that is great not to mention you can get Willing on the way which is phenomenal for shields. Gunpowder is where your personal punch will be, though. Keep a nice slag gun with you for when your turret is out (unless you decide to go on down to Double Up) and start investing in stuff like Metal Storm, Expertise (if you're slag duty), Battlefront, Do or Die (I seriously wish every build I had could use this--I love tossing nades in FFYL), and Longbow if you find your turret getting clobbered too often in PT1-2.

Maybe something like this by level 31. From there you have a lot of options how to continue because that's a pretty solid core so most stuff afterwards will just be extra. Maybe moving into this as you get closer to 41 for slag turrets (frees you up from having to bother with that yourself and adds considerable damage to your turret; just remember it's a big investment to rely on a skill that wont always be up). I like Grenadier because I carried a lot of transfusion grenades when leveling, but a lot of folks don't so that's a definite personal preference.

Another thing to remember is that with the right class mod you can really make a build flex. I had one of each type in my bank just for that so I was left with a lot of wiggle room when leveling. Any time I find a particularly good class mod I go to the character stations and see what I can do to make a build work for the mod as opposed to trying to hammer the mod into the build I'm using at the moment.

Also, respec often! It's so cheap in this game that you really should try out a bunch of different skills even if it means only moving 5 points out of one thing and into another.

p.s. A survival build takes a lot of skill points to really start shining, I find, so unless you pull a nice class mod I'd wait til 50 to bother much with it.

p.s.s.s.s.s I know a lot of people don't slag when they're solo, but I think it's very worth it when you're turret is out so consider at least having a nice slag gun for when you're laying down the law with your metal friend.

Last edited by gotee; October 18th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
gotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Slayer Jesse
Automated Death Deployer

i completley agree about do or die. you can do some massive damage with em, and if you have a low fuse nade its great for when you're bleeding out quick. homing nades are great when enemies decide to hide behind cover. and like he said, feel free to respec often. finding a build that works for you is crucial. i also cant overstare how vital scorched earth is if you use the turret alot. (and in solo, you will.) i also like to keep atleast 1point in preperation at all times just to get some passive healing outside combat. (and when boosted by class mod, in combat too.)

My Borderlands and Full Metal Alchemist Crossover: The Alchemist And The Anarchist.
69 Delta Force Axton, 69 Plasma Anarchist Gaige (Kill it with turrets and electricity, respectively.)
Slayer Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #9
ZOGTRAP

I spent just enough in survival to get to gemini, sticking to things like preparation and pressure, anything to speed up my shield recharge. This includes finding a quick charge shield, capacity being an after thought. If your shields go down, you can get to cover and drop sentry while you recover. After that i think it's up to how much you like your turrets. If you use them a lot, go down Guerrilla, if not check out Gunpowder.

I love that you're not hemmed in to a particular build. I've respeced my Gaige, and I'm barely halfway throughthe game. So if you dont't like something, respec. Theres always more money where that came from.
ZOGTRAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #10
a0metal0edge
lvl 50 Axton

I finally hit level 50 with Axton and have played a considerable amont of the game solo. I stacked alot in the survivor tree for health regeneration when your in cover and found myself using alot of element weapons (fire on non armored, caustic on armored) and taking cover alot with the surroundings. Also a singularity grenade and investment in the grenade portion of the guerrila tree will help with multiple baddies (lots 'o' grenades ). Also get the shield and slag additions for you turret. I also use a engineer class mod for quick cool down.
a0metal0edge is offline   Reply With Quote