The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 21st, 2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Vin Derpel

Default Axton high DPS builds?

I'm thinking about some builds for a level 50 axton that deal a ton of damage consistently, but include some survivability too. 26/16/3 in Guerilla Gunpowder Survival? Should I invest more in kill skill instead of able because I have 3 in preparation?

http://postimage.org/image/6wh6hk8gt

Last edited by Vin Derpel; October 21st, 2012 at 07:59 PM.
Vin Derpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:10 PM   #2
notfromphoenix
No fence on this fence.

Default Re: Axton high DPS builds?

If you're looking for DPS, you need those kill skills. They up your damage significantly, and they usually stay kicked in after you first kill, just because you can do so much with them. I suggest moving 4 points from Laser Sight and 1 from Ready into Onslaught, and 4 points from Expertise into Metal Storm.
http://www.youtube.com/user/notfromphoenix I have Borderlands stuff, but not tons of it. Still more BL2 content on the way though!

Last edited by notfromphoenix; October 21st, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
notfromphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2012, 08:59 PM   #3
Vin Derpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfromphoenix View Post
If you're looking for DPS, you need those kill skills. They up your damage significantly, and the usually stay kicked in after you first kill, just because you can do so much with them. I suggest moving 4 points from Laser Sight and 1 from Ready into Onslaught, and 4 points from Expertise into Metal Storm.
Thanks. After taking out Expertise, I really didnt feel a differnce, so I scrapped it. I kinda like laser sight though, but it only helps at medium ranges, which there really isnt a reason to be at since longbow gives more hp.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:28 AM   #4
wrenagade772

Put more in gunpowder, keep onslaught and scorched earth, take impact,metal storm,, Battlefront. And duty calls, I use do or die to help with second winds. And I don't use.ranger at all. Steady is good, but optional, and I have plus four to metal storm, non-elemental., fast guns. I have a Vladof Resolute Anarchist that knocks anything down fast, faster when my turrets out and onslaught and metal storm combined are awesome, you wont need the double up. Just a suggestion that works very well for me. You can Aldo nuke crap like this
wrenagade772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2012, 06:37 PM   #5
bigdug13

Don't you kinda need double up to allow you to not waste time slagging things yourself? Slag doubles your damage output for potentially 30+ seconds using Sentry as well as doubling the damage output of Scorched Earth as well as doubling the damage output of everyone on your team.
bigdug13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
Vin Derpel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdug13 View Post
Don't you kinda need double up to allow you to not waste time slagging things yourself? Slag doubles your damage output for potentially 30+ seconds using Sentry as well as doubling the damage output of Scorched Earth as well as doubling the damage output of everyone on your team.
I already have double up. Gunpowder is more of a burst DPS tree IMO.
Old October 24th, 2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Eonblue

This is currently how my Axton is set up, at level 50, with the legendary Soldier class mod.

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/comm...00011000000000

The build provides a consistent source of good dps while retaining a decent bit of survivability. Here is a little overview of how I have things set up, with the bonuses from the class mod factored in.

Guerrilla:

Sentry 10/5: Increases turrets damage output via an increase in shots fired and duration. Also leverages the skills Scorched Earth, Double Up, and Battlefront, by increasing their duration.

Ready 10/5: Faster reload speed, helps both in terms of dps (less time reloading is more time shooting), as well as survivability (quicker reloads in FFYL).

Willing 5/5: Makes your shields come back faster. Just an all around great skill, increases survivability by a good amount, especially when combined with the right shield.

Laser Sight 1/5: In all honesty this skill is terrible. In testing, the increase in accuracy for your turret seems almost non-existent, even at 5/5. I do run a single point in the skill though as it gives the turret the laser pointer, which can help determine which enemy your turret is currently targeting, which can be nice alongside Double Up (since you want to focus on the slagged targets). That said, the single point here could just as easily be moved to another skill in the guerrilla tree, Grenadier/Crisis Management for a potentially slight dps increase, or Able for a slight increase in survivability.

Onslaught 5/5:
Gun damage and Movement speed are both really good things to have. This increases your damage output, and the movement speed actually can be a great boost to survivability.

Scorched Earth 1/1: By far the best of Axton's early game changer skills. Probably the best early game changer in the game. Just all around great, and its leveraged by the increased duration from the Sentry skill.

Crisis Management 3/5: These points are mostly here because I didn't have anyplace better to put them. The options are Laser Sight/Grenadier/Able/Crisis Management. I have already mentioned how Laser Sight sucks, and I honestly don't find Able to be all that good either. So the options really come down to Grenadier and Crisis Management. Grenadier is probably the better of the two skills, but its also much more suited to a Grenadier style build. In the end I wound up putting these points in Crisis Management, since it helps with survivability (since it kicks in when you are in FFYL) and also has the potential to slightly increase your damage output (although inconsistently).

Double Up 1/1: The big draw of the Guerrilla tree. Slags stuff for you, thus increasing your damage output. It is also leveraged by the Sentry skill, as the turret has a longer duration to apply slag to enemies.

Gunpowder:

Impact 10/5: Increased gun and melee damage, cant go wrong here.

Expertise 6/5: This skill isn't really needed, and the 1 point I spent here is mostly to take advantage of the +5 bonus it gets from the legendary Soldier class mod. That said, increased weapon swap speed can potentially save your life in FFYL, and the increase in movement speed while aiming is decent for the run and gun style of play.

Metal Storm 5/5: Increased Rate of fire and reduced recoil when you kill something is nice. Increases your damage output by a fair bit while it is up.

Battlefront 5/5: Increased damage from all sources while your turret up is great for dishing out the damage. This skill is also leveraged by Sentry, as it increases the duration of the Battlefront buff.

Longbow Turret 1/1: Increases your turrets survivability (really needed for TVHM in my opinion) as well as allowing you some more tactical versatility with the positioning of your turret.

Survival:

Healthy 6/5: More life is always nice. Increases survivability. If using the legendary Soldier class mod this is certainly worth the single point for +36% health.

Preparation 6/5: This also adds some more survivability. Again, if using the legendary Soldier class mod it is certainly worth spending a single point for +18% shield capacity and 2.4% constant health regeneration.

Possible Changes: I have already mentioned how the 4 points in the Guerrilla tree (the ones in Laser Sight and Crisis Management) can be moved around the tree based on preference.

There is also some wiggle room in the Gunpowder tree as well depending on preference. The single point in Expertise can easily be moved into something else if you really don't care about taking advantage to the bonus from the class mod, and a point or two could likely be removed from Metal Storm as well. Likely candidates for these freed up points would be either Do or Die (for some added grenade damage and the ability to use grenades in FFYL) or Duty Calls (which may actually lead to higher damage output than the points in Metal Storm would, depending on what weapons you are using).

Hope this helps, and any feedback on my build is certainly appreciated.

Last edited by Eonblue; October 24th, 2012 at 01:47 AM.
Eonblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #8
wrenagade772

I M gonna try this
wrenagade772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #9
kenny1007

Talking Re: Axton high DPS builds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eonblue View Post
This is currently how my Axton is set up, at level 50, with the legendary Soldier class mod.

http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/comm...00011000000000

Ready 10/5: Faster reload speed, helps both in terms of dps (less time reloading is more time shooting), as well as survivability (quicker reloads in FFYL).
I use a very similar build to yours and i have to disagree with the 10/5 Ready.

I tested it and I see less than 0.5 - 1 second difference when you have 10/5 compared to 6/5. I only gave it 1 point to activate it (6/5) and I see the same reload speed. Try it and you will see that there is no difference.

I think it caps at 5/5 to be honest.
Video: EVGA 670 GTX FTW
RAM: 16GB CORSAIR Vengeance

BL2
Axton: 50
Mod: Legendary Soldier
Build: http://talent.87bazillion.com/2/comm...00011000000000

Last edited by kenny1007; October 24th, 2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Fixed compared points
kenny1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #10
JimboTCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1007 View Post
I use a very similar build to yours and i have to disagree with the 10/5 Ready.

I tested it and I see less than 0.5 - 1 second difference when you have 10/5 compared to 6/10. I only gave it 1 point to activate it (6/10) and I see the same reload speed. Try it and you will see that there is no difference.

I think it caps at 5/5 to be honest.
I don't think it's capped as such, it's just that each additional point gives a smaller reduction in actual relaod time due to the way the percentages work. 10% faster reload speed doesn't reduce reload time by 10%. Otherwise you could stack skills/gear to get over 100% reload speed boost and instant reloads.

EG if a weapon has a standard reload time of 5s, 5 in Ready would reduce this to (5 / 1.4) = 3.57 seconds. 10 in Ready would reduce it to (5 / 1.8) = 2.77 seconds. You shave off 1.43 seconds with the first 5 points, but only a further 0.8 seconds with the next five, so it becomes progressively less noticeable with more points in there. For faster weapons, you get even less of an reduction in actual reload time.
JimboTCB is offline   Reply With Quote