The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #251
XBL TRICKK

Default Re: Important Notice for Xbox 360 Players

Yea someone beat me to the punch..but yes there have been threads in this forum with people who have recovered their chars by modding to restore.

Websites also say modders r able to restore, they give no reference as to what they used to do so. But it is possible

Will gear box do it is the question..bcuz another program will b needed to do so. Or at least that is my understanding of what is needed to recover a char. So the question is will gearbox b able to inject what is needed to recover chars or just say o well ur screwed.

Last edited by XBL TRICKK; October 27th, 2012 at 12:15 PM.
XBL TRICKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #252
knulle deg
slab

I've always thought that since BL1 came out that Gearbox really must have liked the Diablo series. "Hardcore" gameplay? Yeah, Diablo 2. However, for some reason, people must have been smarter in the late 90's/early 2000's(?) because Blizzard actually incorporated that in their game. Also, Blizzard made it possible to MOD YOUR CHARACTER and play in a modded community. <---- Good idea, amirite? When will people learn? Gearbox took all the flashy icing on the cake and spoon fed us

Last edited by knulle deg; October 27th, 2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: i haz no graymer
knulle deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #253
BerserkLeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBL TRICKK View Post
Yea someone beat me to the punch..but yes there have been threads in this forum with people who have recovered their chars by modding to restore.

Websites also say modders r able to restore, they give no reference as to what they used to do so. But it is possible

Will gear box do it is the question..bcuz another program will b needed to do so. Or at least that is my understanding of what is needed to recover a char. So the question is will gearbox b able to inject what is needed to recover chars or just say o well ur screwed.
What modders are able to do is turn off the flag that causes the graveyard.sav to show up when you die. (The same flag that causes the character to be deleted)
They are not able to recover a character from graveyard.sav. Pretty sure gearbox won't be able to completely restore your characters either, if at all.
The only data that's stored in the graveyard.sav are like 7 strings of characters. Level, class, brand of one of your equipped items,money, possibly experience are accounted for, some of the other values are unknown. but it's highly unlikely that your complete character could be restored.

If they manage to re-make your characters at the same level they were at when they were deleted, the characters won't have your inventory,bank,black market upgrades.. basically almost everything would be reset.
BerserkLeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #254
bobblebob1

Can blame Gearbox and modders all you want, but i still put some blame on the gamers. You wouldnt spent 20+ hours on a Word document without backing it up, so why dont people back up games? No excuse now with cloud saving.
bobblebob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #255
Japhasca

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblebob1 View Post
Can blame Gearbox and modders all you want, but i still put some blame on the gamers. You wouldnt spent 20+ hours on a Word document without backing it up, so why dont people back up games? No excuse now with cloud saving.
Your statement is flawed. The cloud can still overwrite your main save. I read somewhere they saying that a cloud backup couldn't be trusted. I never backed up my NES or SNES saves because I couldn't. Also, while you can back up your character, you can't back up your profile.bin, and that is where the badass rank loss bug takes place.

While I understand what you're saying, it doesn't fix the problem, and no one expects a game to delete their save. Backups are if the USER screws up or the hard drive crashes, generally. Software that deletes its own save files isn't a common thing by far.
Japhasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #256
blitz8u

Quote:
Originally Posted by berserkleon View Post
what modders are able to do is turn off the flag that causes the graveyard.sav to show up when you die. (the same flag that causes the character to be deleted)
they are not able to recover a character from graveyard.sav. Pretty sure gearbox won't be able to completely restore your characters either, if at all.
The only data that's stored in the graveyard.sav are like 7 strings of characters. Level, class, brand of one of your equipped items,money, possibly experience are accounted for, some of the other values are unknown. But it's highly unlikely that your complete character could be restored.

If they manage to re-make your characters at the same level they were at when they were deleted, the characters won't have your inventory,bank,black market upgrades.. Basically almost everything would be reset.
Thank you!
If i could post links to modding places I could 100% legitimize this

Last edited by blitz8u; October 27th, 2012 at 01:14 PM.
blitz8u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #257
bobblebob1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japhasca View Post
Your statement is flawed. The cloud can still overwrite your main save. I read somewhere they saying that a cloud backup couldn't be trusted. I never backed up my NES or SNES saves because I couldn't. Also, while you can back up your character, you can't back up your profile.bin, and that is where the badass rank loss bug takes place.

While I understand what you're saying, it doesn't fix the problem, and no one expects a game to delete their save. Backups are if the USER screws up or the hard drive crashes, generally. Software that deletes its own save files isn't a common thing by far.
May not be common but anything digital and not a hard copy can mess up. Badass bug is different as it messes with your profile. Graveyard bug just messes with the actual save file. Can still back up on USB, external HD etc.

It may not be common for something like this to happen, but you do need to back up anything that you value in digital format as things do go wrong
bobblebob1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #258
Fairdude

My badass rank and all of my skins (vehicles and character) were erased. I never used any external applications or any glitches. I took pride in my badass rank (~13-14k) which i got legitimately and all of the skins which I grinded for or were extras from friends. Kind of upsetting that I get punished because other people like to ruin the game.
Fairdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2012, 01:30 PM   #259
blitz8u

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairdude View Post
My badass rank and all of my skins (vehicles and character) were erased. I never used any external applications or any glitches. I took pride in my badass rank (~13-14k) which i got legitimately and all of the skins which I grinded for or were extras from friends. Kind of upsetting that I get punished because other people like to ruin the game.
Badass rank glitch isn't due to modders.
You can't blame everything on them.
Old October 27th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #260
knulle deg
slab

So what you're all saying with the cloud and backing up your save files is this, games are no longer for the common gamer and if companies like Gearbox are too lazy to make a solid non-game ending/character deleting glitch-game, then the common gamer shouldn't waste their time or money on their product. Good business strategy. Also, I would have never had thought to back up any save file on a console, as this sort of thing has never happened to me before Borderlands. So, to rag on people about backing up their saves is absolutely ridiculous as it is not their responsibility in a video game to make sure nothing gets screwed up by software/hardware problems.
knulle deg is offline   Reply With Quote