The Gearbox Software Forums Go to Gearboxity.comGo to Gearbox Software's Web site

Go Back   The Gearbox Software Forums > Gearbox Games > Borderlands 2 > BL2 Gameplay Discussion (Spoilers!)

Closed Thread

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:13 AM   #1
Kriptini
Former S&S Phoenix

Default How to Kill Hyperius the Invincible the RIGHT Way

Okay, so since very few people on this forum have actually figured out his complete strat and have resorted to using Baby Makers and the pipe at the front of the arena, I'm going to post here the Hyperius fight as the devs intended it. It goes without saying that there will be massive spoilers below.

Hyperius the Invincible

Hyperius the Invincible is your standard MMORPG raid boss. He's got adds, AoEs, and a DPS check. On first pull, he may seem like a very difficult boss, but once you learn his strategy, he's a complete piece of cake.

I recommend using 4 players to take him down, (one of which is a dedicated Slagger) or else you might not have enough DPS to kill him when his adds die. (It becomes significantly easier if you have The Bee, of course.)

He has two phases, though they aren't very different from each other. Hyperius will change to Phase 2 when either all of his adds are killed or he reaches about 25% health.

PHASE 1

Hyperius the Invincible's Abilities:
  • Melee Attack
  • Rockets
  • EMP Nova
  • Laser Nova
  • Curse of the Seraphs

Hyperius Minions (x4):
  • Melee Attack
  • Rockets
  • Shield Beam

These names are unofficial.

To begin the fight, deal any sort of damage to Hyperius. This will activate him, and a window will appear on your UI telling you that Curse of the Seraphs is active, meaning your max HP will be reduced when you revive from FFYL. You have a few seconds to DPS him before he spawns his adds, so make sure you take advantage of this opportunity. Be warned, though: pretty quickly after you engage him, Hyperius will fire off EMP Nova followed by Laser Nova.

EMP Nova is a zone-wide AoE that deals massive damage to your shields and will do a bit of health damage if it overkills your shields. Laser Nova (which always follows after EMP Nova) is a zone-wide AoE that deals massive damage. Now, you should be able to take these hits without going into FFYL (if you can't, you're not ready to fight Hyperius), but I'm going to list how to dodge these abilities now anyways.

The only way to dodge these Novas is to break Hyperius's line-of-sight to you. To do this, you need to stand behind something. Later in the fight, you will be able to stand Hyperius's minions, but before they spawn, the party members needs to form a single-file line leading away from Hyperius. If you do this correctly, only the player in front will take damage. (You can also use Axton's turret.)

After these first ten seconds or so, Hyperius will spawn forr Hyperius Minions which will instantly use their Shield Beams. Large, yellow tentacles will connect each Hyperius Minion to Hyperius, and the big boss will gain a yellow translucent shield. While Hyperius has this shield, he takes incredibly reduced damage and reflects bullets, so it's not a good idea to waste your ammo on him.

Instead, focus on his Minions. If you knock a Minion down by about 15-20% of its HP, it will cancel its Shield Beam and instead shield itself. It will do this for a set delay, after which it will reapply Shield Beam to Hyperius. Additionally, Hyperius will keep his shield as long as he has at least one Shield Beam on him at all times.

This means that you want to DPS the adds down at relatively the same time, so they will all cancel their Shield Beams at about the same time, have their Shield Beams on the same cooldowns, and allow you max time for DPS on Hyperius.

This comes with a cost, however. Every time you deplete all of Hyperius's Shield Beams, he will do his EMP Nova + Laser Nova combo, so make sure you have cover behind a Hyperius Minion or another player. Additionally, Hyperius will use EMP Nova sporadically throughout the fight. It is very important that you time the cancellation of the Shield Beams so he does not cast EMP Nova twice in a row!

Here's the recap for Phase 1:
  1. Engage Hyperius
  2. DPS Hyperius
  3. DPS Adds
  4. Dodge Novas
  5. DPS Hyperius
  6. DPS Adds
  7. Dodge Novas
  8. DPS Hyperius, etc.

You're going to continue this cycle until either all the Hyperius Minions die or Hyperius reaches about 25% of his Max HP. Then the fight will enter Phase 2.

PHASE 2

In Phase 2, all of the abilities from Phase 1 are present and Hyperius gains a new ability:

Hyperius the Invincible's New Ability:
  • Leap n' Stomp

Phase 2 is identical to Phase 1, with the exception that Hyperius will now gain the Leap n' Stomp attack that Enraged Goliaths have, and he will chase down a player until they go into FFYL. This part of the fight is a DPS race, because the Hyperius Minions will probably die during this Phase leaving you no cover to dodge Hyperius's AoEs. The best thing to do is to have the player being chased equip the most massive shield he has as he kites Hyperius around the arena. The other players should DPS Hyperius as hard as they can (assuming his shields are down and the adds are all dead at this point) and try to line up behind each other when they can to dodge his Novas. If you've got a lot of DPS, this part should go pretty quickly.

--------

So that's the REAL strat for Hyperius, as the devs intended. If you want to experience him as he was meant to be, I suggest you get some friends together and a stopwatch to help yourselves time his EMP Nova. Good luck!

...or you could just equip The Bee and Baby Maker and continue to farm the awful loot he drops.

Last edited by Kriptini; October 26th, 2012 at 03:22 AM. Reason: Semantics
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:20 AM   #2
Guitaristx1986
Legendary Hunter

Default Re: How to Kill Hyperius the Invincible the RIGHT Way

i didnt read it all, but i would like to say that there is no "right way" or "wrong way" to kill hyperious, if people want to use the baby maker let them, if they wanna hide behind the pipe, their perogative. what you described is the right way for you to kill him, but not everyone else.

Hell i run in and use my quasar grenades to group his minions together and then quasar them all to death as the electricity goes through their shields.

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:21 AM   #3
Kriptini
Former S&S Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaristx1986 View Post
i didnt read it all
I didn't read all that you said but I would like to say that I'm right and you're wrong.

Have a nice day.

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #4
Guitaristx1986
Legendary Hunter

id like to add that you are a pompous arogant fool, who is once again wrong.

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:28 AM   #5
Kriptini
Former S&S Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitaristx1986 View Post
id like to add that you are a pompous arogant fool, who is once again wrong.
Wait, so you don't read all of my post but call me wrong anyways, and you're okay.

I don't read all of your post and call you wrong anyways, and I'm a "pompous arogant fool?"

Okay. But at least spell "arrogant" correctly.

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:29 AM   #6
ChrisMcNic

I use melee, am I doing it right?? >.>
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Lulzing
ડબ્સસ્ટેપ

Send a message via Skype™ to Lulzing

There are many ways to take out Hyperious the Invincible not just one.

So just because you found one does not make yours the only correct way as you stated yourself the 'Baby Maker & Bee' combo work as well...

All the same nice tutorial I'm sure many who have yet to beat him will get use out of this.
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #8
Kriptini
Former S&S Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMcNic View Post
I use melee, am I doing it right?? >.>
Solo Melee Zer0 build? I don't think that's how the devs intended the fight to go.

That being said, I'd love to see a video. I hear that build is lulz-worthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulzing View Post
There are many ways to take out Hyperious the Invincible not just one.

So just because you found one does not make yours the only correct way as you stated yourself the 'Baby Maker & Bee' combo work as well...
I think you guys are missing the part where I say doing the strat as the devs designed it.

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #9
rizzlok

the term "right way" doesnt work for bosses they can be killed in various ways, and id rather use a baby maker n bee then do it "your way" he drops bad loot why waste all that time killing him when i can get it done and dusted ina few seconds
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #10
Guitaristx1986
Legendary Hunter

I read enough of your post to know that it was wrong, as there is no right way, although i could have gotten that conclusion just from the thread title.

Closed Thread